Author Topic: What year did the record runs go to two passes?  (Read 6103 times)

Offline kiwi belly tank

Re: What year did the record runs go to two passes?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2013, 09:32:55 PM »
Thanks Dan, that prompted the old memory box. Back then, we did run FIA during SW & that's what required the one hour turn around.
 I do remember the incorperation of the SCTA & USFRA records & I seem to remember the "two run" records were first introduced for the 300+mph cars before being applied across the board.
Back then my job was how Betsy ran & not why. We used to have a 7am to 11am window to qualify for a record attempt & then make a down run after 1pm then a return run. You had to requalify again the next day to do it all again.
On occasions we would run two qualifiers in the morning & two record runs in the afternoon & all this at a meet with only one course.
Records were a lot tougher to get when you had to sent it back again.
Anyone remember the "tire hair cut" runs? :roll:
  Sid. 

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 09:54:40 PM »
I looked it up, 1993, the rule book stated a qualifying run over the current record would be the first run of a record. The following morning the second run would take place unless the BNI Board dreamed otherwise like sometimes does on the last day. It did not state this in 1992.

The statement about 2002 was what I believe was the last time the qualifiers from the previous day started from the 7 mile marker and came back the opposite direction for the record. Still was only 2 passes. In 2003 I set a record and both runs were to the north......JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline desotoman

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2013, 11:04:41 PM »
Thanks for the help JD.

Tom G.

I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2013, 12:58:45 AM »
In 2002 at Speed Week to set the record in my Avanti that year in D/CPS I had to make the 1st pass going towards the floating mountain and then the next morning made the run on course 1 towards hwy 80, but I think that was the last year that SCTA did this because Nolan White died in his streamliner when his parachutes came off on the 2nd run heading toward hwy 80. and crash & died, so thus the change in the rules.
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline dw230

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2013, 06:33:46 PM »
Nolan was on an FIA run at the 2002 World Finals. He elected to start at Floating Mountain and run towards the highway. This way he would be in his pit for the turn around. This is the method most everyone uses at the Shootout.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth