Author Topic: What year did the record runs go to two passes?  (Read 6104 times)

Offline Paul Powell

• Just too slow to go
    • Paul Powell Performance
What year did the record runs go to two passes?
« on: August 20, 2013, 12:12:30 PM »
When did the record process change from a qualifying with one run and then backing it up with a run up and down transfer to a single qualifying and a single back-up pass?

Does anyone know why it changed?

Paul Powell

Paul Powell
Paul Powell Performance L.L.C.
5073 Barnhill Farm Road
Battleboro, NC 27809
(252) 452-4998

Offline Stan Back

Re: What year did the record runs go to two passes?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 05:04:50 PM »
I read a misinformed article that said it was for course condition.  A better explanation that I've heard was that the USFRA and SCTA records were merged, and the USFRA only required two runs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2013, 05:16:31 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:14:21 PM »
I don't remember the year but the reason was the lack of salt to safely run two directions. With vehicles reaching higher speeds and the use of chutes were still in development as well as the course running to close to the lands end road SCTA decided to go to the two run system. It also sped up the return runs the following morning. FIA runs are now done on special meets and the qualifing and return runs must be done within one hour. FIM allows 2 hours turn around for motorcycles. I think the 2 hour rule should be allowed in cars as well do to the complexity of them.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 05:43:38 PM »
The requirement of running two different directions for a record run was changed the year after Nolan
White died while making his return run toward the freeway.  It was a mutual agreement between BNI and USFRA to make the change but the idea was really put forth by Wally Parks.  He had written a very compelling letter about the issue.
As far as I know the change from making 3 runs for a record to just 2 runs was made long before the idea of running the same direction for both runs was adopted.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 09:01:18 PM »
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 01:03:22 AM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2013, 12:03:45 AM »
I think all the records set before the change should have been left in the book & the new records with the new rules, starting from there. There was a lot of times that we & others came back over the record but were outside the one hour window.
Now you get four hours to work on your $hit, go get a good night's sleep & get to run in the early morning air.
I agree with the safety factor, just not with the records.
Was there a reason this happened?
I thought Nolan's crash was earlier than 02?
  Sid.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2013, 12:14:09 AM »

I thought Nolan's crash was earlier than 02?
  Sid.

Sid, according to Wikipedia: "Nolan died on October 20, 2002 at the age of 71 in Salt Lake City after being injured in an accident at the speed flats when his parachute failed after clocking a one mile run at 422 MPH."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_White

(Someone should click the "edit source" button and fix that.)

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2013, 10:36:27 AM »
I'll research the 3 run end. The opposite way return run was optional by the BNI Board for a few years after the 3 runs for a record.

The last time the return run was the opposite direction in the morning was 2002. I know this it's the year my son went into the 2 club. He was using only 3 miles and coasted all the the way to impounds without stopping or using the chute. We started at the 7 and he was timed from the 5 to the 4 and impounds was near the 2-1/4. I could not find him and someone told me he had coasted to impounds and was out of the car. Roadsters have their own slow down device located on the front of the vehicle called a grill shell.

A few years before the 3 run went to 2 the association quit making qualifying for the log course mandentory each year. I believe that was done because a lot of streamliners and other high horsepower fast cars were actually wasting a run and $$ just to reach 174 at the 2-1/4. Like I said it was mandentory to to and with only one course also time consuming.

When I started in 1975 if you had qualified you just went back to your pit. In the morning you warmed up your car. You drained your gasoline if that's what you were using and went to the gasoline truck to get their gas and have your tank sealed. Long line as I remember it..

Many things have changed for the good. 
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Tman

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2013, 10:49:00 AM »
I'll research the 3 run end. The opposite way return run was optional by the BNI Board for a few years after the 3 runs for a record.

The last time the return run was the opposite direction in the morning was 2002. I know this it's the year my son went into the 2 club. He was using only 3 miles and coasted all the the way to impounds without stopping or using the chute. We started at the 7 and he was timed from the 5 to the 4 and impounds was near the 2-1/4. I could not find him and someone told me he had coasted to impounds and was out of the car. Roadsters have their own slow down device located on the front of the vehicle called a grill shell.

A few years before the 3 run went to 2 the association quit making qualifying for the log course mandentory each year. I believe that was done because a lot of streamliners and other high horsepower fast cars were actually wasting a run and $$ just to reach 174 at the 2-1/4. Like I said it was mandentory to to and with only one course also time consuming.

When I started in 1975 if you had qualified you just went back to your pit. In the morning you warmed up your car. You drained your gasoline if that's what you were using and went to the gasoline truck to get their gas and have your tank sealed. Long line as I remember it..

Many things have changed for the good. 

JD, it was a pleasure talking to you! Thanks for all you do here for us newer guys!

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2013, 11:23:55 AM »
JD, it was a pleasure talking to you! Thanks for all you do here for us newer guys!

Thats one of the things I was bummed about, not getting the chance to meet JD. I had heard he was there but being I was relying on transpo around the salt by Andy, I didnt speak up enough as to where I wanted to go. Next year for sure.

Offline dw230

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2013, 11:27:04 AM »
Sid,

A common error is that the SCTA-BNI had a one hour turn around requirement, that is a FIA requirement. The one hour was used when FIA records were included within the Speed Week structure. The LSA experiment was an epic fail. Wally Parks walked out of a meeting when it was suggested that roadster classes be added to the FIA.

I was long course return starter for many years. You ran your down run and did not have a return starting spot. Went back when it was your time. If I recall correctly the #1 reason that the two run format was adopted by SCTA was the two run format was used by USFRA at the time the records were merged. One of the first jobs I did was to help Multy Aldrich at the gas truck in the morning as JD mentioned. We would fill and seal tanks. If needed I would put a container provided by the competitor in my truck and try to get to the short then long course starting lines before the return runs. I remember over 45 cans of gas in my truck one morning.

As JD says, some things change for the better.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 02:24:54 PM »
Guys,  for us Johnny come late's its nice to know some of the history---thanks all
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline dw230

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 07:24:51 PM »
On a trip to Lancaster today I was thinking about the dates, (2002/2003) posted by others on this thread. I remember a meeting with Mary West, Larry Volk, Mike Waters and I at the 2nd Gas Up way back when. The purpose of the meeting was to review a record merge between SCTA and USFRA. This was the early 90s. The result was a lot of discussion about which records would be accepted by both parties, an approx. 3 year process. The result was that a unified record database was set, a 2 run record process accepted and that a SCTA car and motorcycle person be in attendance at USFRA meets to certify records.

I think I am closer to the year than the dates previously discussed.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2013, 07:44:57 PM »
I think Dan is correct and Gary Cagle was still rtHe timer and I was assistant timer,took a little time to adjust to it.  It works ans saves time and money. See you at the WOS.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2013, 07:56:32 PM »
"The Dry Lakes Racing Hall of Fame began in 1992 as a one-time event of the Gold Coast Roadster & Racing Club to honor a few people thought to have made a difference in hot-rodding and dry lakes racing.  The party was such a success that the following year the first official “Gas-Up” event was held at club member Jack Mendenhall’s Petroleum Museum in Buellton, and evolved into this much-anticipated annual event."

Tom G.

PS. Wouldn't this be in the rule book published back then? If so who has some old rule books they can look it up in?
I threw all mine away after the Northridge earthquake.

I just found a 1997 Rule Book, and in that year it only took two runs to set a record.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 08:20:35 PM by desotoman »
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.