Author Topic: Tech  (Read 31072 times)

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
Re: Tech
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2013, 02:38:43 PM »
 I have never met you John, and I tried not to make this post sound like an attack on you or your team, because it wasn't. This is why I did not mention names or class. We had been told that that tire was a sportsman front runner not a top fuel front runner and we would not be able to use it on the side car. Once again congratulations on reseting the record and I look forward to competing with you next year.  JC Sparks
Nitromethane is liquid heroin.

Offline JR529

« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2013, 02:49:45 PM »
Sounds like everything progressed in a safe, planned, reasonable and up front method. Congratulations on the record and the hat, you guys did a great job!

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2013, 03:57:36 PM »
Thank you all.  :cheers:

Offline JC Sparks

• www.JCSPARKS1.com
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2013, 04:16:25 PM »
 Just for the record. I have 30 years of Top Fuel racing experience. The Goodyear tire #D1445 is designated as a sportsman tire only.  The Only Goodyear front tire that is approved or advertised at a Top Fuel tire is the Goodyear #D2904.  This info comes from Goodyear racing center Akron, Ohio.  JC
Nitromethane is liquid heroin.

Offline Tman

« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2013, 04:26:06 PM »
As it often does it comes down to communication, or lack thereof.

Offline JohnLevie

« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2013, 04:30:04 PM »
JC-Good luck on the salt.
JL

Offline jh333

« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2013, 04:31:17 PM »
And who the Sheriffs decide they want to help or hinder !!!!!!!!!!

Offline JR529

« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2013, 06:34:07 PM »
And who the Sheriffs decide they want to help or hinder !!!!!!!!!!

:roll:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2013, 08:02:17 PM »
Just for the record. I have 30 years of Top Fuel racing experience. The Goodyear tire #D1445 is designated as a sportsman tire only.  The Only Goodyear front tire that is approved or advertised at a Top Fuel tire is the Goodyear #D2904.  This info comes from Goodyear racing center Akron, Ohio.  JC

I'm wondering why they are next to each other in the frontrunner section.....

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Drag_010313.pdf

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/dragspecial.html

It looks like he jumped through some hoops for not only himself but for anyone else that wants to use that tire in the future so if I was a bike person I'd take advantage of what he has done.  It is a narrower tire than the 2904, so that is good  :-),

Sum

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2013, 08:26:38 PM »

Congratulations on finally getting that Red hat John
I would've liked to be there to see it
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Tman

« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2013, 10:37:03 PM »

I'm wondering why they are next to each other in the frontrunner section.....

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/pdf/Drag_010313.pdf

http://www.racegoodyear.com/tires/dragspecial.html

It looks like he jumped through some hoops for not only himself but for anyone else that wants to use that tire in the future so if I was a bike person I'd take advantage of what he has done.  It is a narrower tire than the 2904, so that is good  :-),

Sum

It is cool that he and Lee and the other tech folks worked with them to test the tire. The fact that JC was told "no" speaks volumes about the inconsistency and lack of commo in our systems. Nice that the data is out there for others now.

Offline JR529

« Reply #41 on: August 23, 2013, 12:12:52 AM »
It is cool that he and Lee and the other tech folks worked with them to test the tire. The fact that JC was told "no" speaks volumes about the inconsistency and lack of commo in our systems. Nice that the data is out there for others now.

According to his earlier post, he wasn't told "No", he was told it wasn't allowed to exceed 200 MPH. He chose to accept that as a blanket "No" where another competitor decided to do the legwork to get it approved to higher speeds, using the procedure clearly outlined in the rulebook.

Both entrants were told the same thing. One took one path and another took a different one.

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2013, 12:44:20 PM »
Yep....nothing has changed in SCTA/BNI M/C Tech......it is just the luck of the draw.....it all depends who does the Tech. inspection and how he/she reads the rules, or does not read the rules......................................................

.........Oh, where is Jack Dolan......

Run the BUB.....Drew and his Tech people do a great job and follow the book.

With all due respect Bob I have to strongly disagree with you. In my experience at the Bub Meet, the tech is the worst I have ever seen. Besides the fact most of the inspectors have no clue about the class bike they are inspecting, the "good 'ol boy" atmosphere is rampant. I've seen the same bike set an A record as well as an M record. I saw the same bike set a PG record and a G record in the same year with the same engine. When the 5" seat back rule went into effect I saw one particular bike in impound that had a seat back height well above 5". For these and other reasons I will not return to the Bub Meet.  OK, sorry, rant over.

Back to topic. It seems to me one thing the OP missed was "drive tire". The bike in question did not use the tire as a drive tire.
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline salt27

« Reply #43 on: August 28, 2013, 01:32:45 AM »
I would like to thank all the SCTA volunteers for making Speedweek possible.

They would be on the salt before us and after we had left.

I know we were tired from making our two or three runs a day, they had to be exhausted.

As for tech and impound, Dan, Doug, Matt, Don, Tom and fellow volunteers that I can't recall their names did an outstanding job.

Thank you, Don