Author Topic: Straight water, water & water wetter, or regular coolant mix in radiator?  (Read 9112 times)

Offline SteveM

What are you guys running?

To get up and going, I put straight distilled water in my H/DT Rampage, making sure there were no leaks, etc..  This will be my first trip to Bonneville.  What are the rest of you running for coolant?  Straight water?  Water with "water wetter"?  Regular ethylene glycol mix?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
water and wetter for many years
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Crackerman

Water wetter, wix cool or purple ice work great.
When you are done racing put some antifreeze or another additive with a corrosion inhibitor in. So it doesnt rust apart on the inside while sitting for the next year.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Water wetter, then a splash o antifroze then drain for storage.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Regular ethylene glycol mix?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

3.R COOLING SYSTEM..."No flammable or combustible coolants are allowed."

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Stan Back

What's the mixture with water that's acceptable?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Last time this discussion happened shortly after the rule change prompted by the antifreeze coolant fire on a streamliner the answer was none --- straight water only.

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
Ethylene glycol is fine for storage but not for competition. Drain the cooling system, flush it with water, and then fill it with plain ol' water. There is no better coolant than water. See the Stewart website for a discussion of additives vs. water.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
The ethylene glycol is to give the inards a coating to help reduce rust then drain. Like n
Neil says.
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
Ethylene glycol is fine for storage but not for competition. Drain the cooling system, flush it with water, and then fill it with plain ol' water. There is no better coolant than water. See the Stewart website for a discussion of additives vs. water.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Hey Neil thanks for the tip, I checked the website

http://laundry.about.com/od/productreviews/gr/Laundry-Guide-Product-Review-Mrs-Stewarts-Liquid-Bluing.htm

Now my overalls are foreman material but my ride is still boiling, what to do?

Yours, Hot-Stuff  :evil:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Online manta22

• What, me worry?
Goggles;

Well, if you have Mrs Stewart in your knickers.... :-D

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline SteveM

I ordered a bottle of water wetter, but haven't mixed it in yet.  I guess I misinterpreted the rulebook language.  When I read no combustible or flammable coolants, I assumed they were outlawing things like straight alcohol (why anyone would want to use straight alcohol as a coolant is a separate issue).

Right now, the inside of my radiator, block, and all hoses have been exposed to nothing but pure distilled water.

Is it the common interpretation of the rule that water wetter is not allowed?

Steve.
1/2 of the Rampage Brothers

Offline dw230

Water Wetter products are allowed. The rule change was the result of a terrible fire where the competitor was using Evans coolant in his car. The engine pushed a head gasket and the coolant caught fire, came under the seat resulting in a cockpit fire. As a point, NHRA also bans Evans coolant.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Jack Gifford

Displaying my ignorance- is ordinary anti-freeze flammable?

A coolant-related question for pavement LSR venues: Is anti-freeze disallowed (or discouraged) as it is in drag racing (potential "lubricant" on the track)?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
Displaying my ignorance- is ordinary anti-freeze flammable?

Yes a normal 50/50 mix of ethylene glycol is flammable under the right conditions. If it is sprayed on a very hot surface like red hot headers or mixed with a pre-existing fuel fire it will add to the fire.

http://www.lakeland.edu/AboutUs/MSDS/PDFs/956/Ethylene%20Glycol%20%28Baker%29.pdf
5. Fire Fighting Measures
Fire:
Flash point: 111C (232F) CC
Autoignition temperature: 398C (748F)
Flammable limits in air % by volume:
lel: 3.2; uel: 15.3
Slight to moderate fire hazard when exposed to heat or flame.
Explosion:
Above flash point, vapor-air mixtures are explosive within flammable limits noted above. Containers may
explode when involved in a fire

Fire Extinguishing Media:
Dry chemical, foam or carbon dioxide. Water or foam may cause frothing. Water spray may be used to
extinguish surrounding fire and cool exposed containers. Water spray will also reduce fume and irritant
gases.
Special Information:
In the event of a fire, wear full protective clothing and NIOSH-approved self-contained breathing apparatus
with full facepiece
operated in the pressure demand or other positive pressure mode. Toxic gases and
vapors may be released if involved in a fire.