Author Topic: Using a parachute at Bonnevile at over 175mph!  (Read 13340 times)

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
Re: Using a parachute at Bonnevile at over 175mph!
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 01:42:52 PM »
Slim, don't just jump in a car and try to go 200, use the DL guide and go up in 25 mph increments... I would pop the chute at 150, 175 and 200, even if you are driving a brick, it is good to know what the chute will do if you need it.
We pop ours every run, even rookie runs, so the driver knows what to expect. 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 02:37:56 PM »
Chutes react different at higer speeds in some cases, it's alway a good thing to use them, if they get a little salty rinse them in a bucket of water, they dry in minutes in the heat at Bonneville. Things can go wrong even in a turn off or turn  out as it's hard to judge speed at times and heading to the return road can be critical with other vehicles on it.Have seen a lot of crazy things over the years. Safety first.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 03:07:09 PM »
Stainless and Glen -- I agree that I should use the chute if for no other reason than to experience the hit and to learn when and how and so on.  I had planned to do so - unless I received specific instructions not to do so, and if that's the case -- to ask pretty seriously why he didn't want me to use it.  If it's something like "we don't want to wash it or wear it out" I'll use the information I've already gathered on this thread to tell him why I do want to throw out the laundry.  Thanks very much.

As for the driver licensing pattern of increasing speeds -- yep, I figure I'll be doing that, too.  I've got an A license -- for bikes.  Why do I think that there might just be a tiny bit of difference 'tween a two wheeler and a four wheeler? :roll: :roll:
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 03:11:22 PM »
I am using the chute every time as my speed increases. Just because it acts one way at 140 doesn't mean it won't change at 150 and above. I want little surprises, not HUUUUUGE ones.  :wink: Wayno

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 05:49:06 PM »
Slim, yes the roadster will be new to you, ask the owner if you can step the speeds up in 25mph (as stated in previous statement) and use the chute so you won't have any surprises, Roadsters have a higher CG so testing at lower speeds is the way to go, then verify (ask the starter to tell the Tower to watch your car during the chute deployment) the chute does not lift the rear wheel or front wheels if mounted wrong on the car, if my memory serves me right (I'm 74 yrs old, so it could be a senior moment) but this last race at Speed Week someone saw one of the accidents that totaled the race car and said that when the chute came out it lifted the rear wheels off the salt, then a spin and crash occurred. If that is true, I wonder if they ever tested the chute a slower speeds to see if the chute was OK or not.  Done correctly a parachute is your friend, the bottom line is for folks to think about this subject to ensure they are safe to race another day, thanks guys for your comments, hope new guys ask questions from the old timers, take care, Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2013, 06:55:19 AM »
I was the course steward at the 5-mile on Course #2 at Speedweek.  As the #1 (Team McLeish Bros. GT-6) car came thru the lights there, he popped the chute.  I didn't notice if the wheels came off the ground, but it rolled upside-down immediately after the chute blossomed, so that may well be what happened.  However, the car wasn't totalled.   It looked fairly intact as it was towed past my position on its way to the tower.

Two other cars were totalled.  I watched Stainless' accident as it happened (at the 4-mile on Course #2), and it wasn't caused by chute deployment.   I didn't see Jonny's accident (which took place at the same time as McLeish's, but on Course #1), but from what I heard, it wasn't chute-related, either.
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2013, 12:06:23 PM »
"Trimmers", thanks for your update on what you saw on race course #2, this info helps other racers, take care, Dave
Canyon Country, CA

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2013, 01:30:58 PM »
We pitted next to the McLeish crew last week.  I'll let them tell the story, but I know the car suffered relatively minor damage.  In fact - Derek said that other than sanding the paint off the roof and wrinkling it a bit -- the car was unhurt and could be raced again that day.  Take his comments with a grain of salt (there was plenty in the car after the upside-down-excursion), but the chute was deployed and might have added to the factors in getting upside down.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2013, 01:50:08 PM »
Chute deployment and attach points to the vehicle are critical, The tow line length can be a factor as speed increases and must be in clean air. Turbublance from the rear of the vehicle  are a factor. Last year The Hanna Moore streamliner had chute issues until they added extra length to the tow line. The chute size is also critical and if to large can cause lift. On the Vesco liners we have a forward and rear cameras to study the vehicle after the chute deployment.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2013, 07:29:40 AM »
We don't have front brakes, and pop the chute every run. It makes slowing down easier, and the car handles better than if we just use the rear brakes.

Most of our runs have been in the 160's, with only one over 175. There is plenty of time to pack the chute in line, so I really don't understand why most people wouldn't want to use one. JMHO
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2013, 04:42:09 PM »
Before the new rule came out in 2012 that you didn't need to have to use the chute, it was at the driver's choice to use or not, before 2012 the old rule required you to use the chute if your car's class record was over 175mph, and if the chute didn't come out, Lee Kennedy would contact the racer and research the chute failure. Being a timer at Bonneville, using the chute will reduce the time on the course and have the turnout sooner so we can get more racers on the track, instead of waiting all suited up on a hot day in line, the reason I started this topic was to see if the majority of racers want to stay with the new rule in 2012 or go back to the old rule, my vote is for going back to the old rule where you must use your chute, thanks for your time, Dave Bloomberg (Avanti Kid Racing, car #1961)
Canyon Country, CA