Author Topic: Motorcycle "Records" - Really??  (Read 122333 times)

Offline Hellcat Customs

Re:
« Reply #165 on: March 24, 2014, 10:43:33 PM »
Joe you are a perfect example... You set records you consider soft... as the Guy in the trenches and knowing what you struggled against to do it, you have the right to say Soft... By you considering them that way it makes me think you feel with a bit more work and trial and error you could go faster. I hope to see it! I love seeing people and machines grow! As an on looker though, I can't say honestly your records are soft, I never went Head to head with that record... So because I don't know what exactly it takes to do what you do And how you do...I honestly would just be bar stool Racing if I said I considered your records to be soft... I've never done it, so what right do I have....

I know other racers with Stout, as you put it, records in other classes... They themselves will tell you, after tons of time and money you can't go much faster in that class with that Fuel unless you get perfect conditions and put someone the size of an 8 year old on it... Again because they have fought their way to that point, and I have not, I'd have to say knowing what's in the bike that yeah they are on the ragged edge of being forced into another class already and that may be the only way to see more speed.

So really only the ones who actually do, can say what is or is not solid. You say your records are soft, to you yes they are... To me they are a mountain I've not attempted to climb. I say mine are soft, but it's because I know the mistakes I made and after running over and over see where I may have gone wrong.

I could never look at another record and say it's weak cause I thought I'd go a lot faster based on my concrete riding experience.... Then again vets of salt sidecars said they expected it to be slower... Guess at the end of the day, the great white Dyno makes that call... Soft stout, no, just respect for anyone doing it is my call... And I'm not going to say who is weak or strong, everyone makes a great effort no matter how fast they run.

Offline debgeo

Re: Motorcycle "Records" - Really??
« Reply #166 on: March 24, 2014, 11:28:00 PM »
Well Stated :-) :-) :-)
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #167 on: March 26, 2014, 11:23:36 PM »
i don't know how many times I've been told by Bonneville old timers "A records a record".  Long story short.  2012 I took the sidecar to run on "soft" records.  99 gas, 101 fuel.  Came home with 118 for the gas and 128 for the fuel.  I considered the 118 to be soft.  A good friend went to WF and bumped my gas record to 121.  I thought 121 was soft.  Figured it should be 8-10 mph faster.  Went back last year to get "my" record back.  I spent all week beating my head against a wall.  In the end I managed to bump the "soft" record by .511 mph.  Pride?  It had long gone out the window.  I went to impound.

But lets get the "weels on steecks" out and go race.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:10:29 AM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Hellcat Customs

Re:
« Reply #168 on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:08 AM »
Agreed, good Man

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #169 on: March 27, 2014, 10:01:08 AM »
I would bet a beer that no records are the fastest that person has gone with their vehicle in that class.... safe bet.... because it is an average of 2 runs... circumstances of the runs control the outcome.
A record is a record, and they are all subject to be broken... soft, stiff and stout  :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O