Author Topic: Motorcycle "Records" - Really??  (Read 122332 times)

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
Re: Motorcycle "Records" - Really??
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2013, 01:29:51 PM »
I bought several of my records with 8 years of labor, many thousands of dollars, 1900 miles driving each way, weeks on the salt, blood, sweat, tears, lost vacation time, injuries, etc. 

Some years I paid all of that and did NOT get the record I thought I paid for!

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »
Well Dean is doing his job... stirred the scooter pot and got y'all talking and thinking.  We all know open records should be a piece of cake... know folks that didn't get 2 in a row or didn't take the vehicle to impound because it wasn't fast enough.  
Everyone cherry picks... we had some soft ones, lost them and started taking them on again, it's part of racing on the salt.  
Keep racing....
see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline bitpusher

• New folks
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2013, 01:59:36 PM »
call it cherry picking or whatever you want.

everyone who is in the book has made great effort at great expense to build a bike, get it to the salt, pass tech and risk injury to  make the passes.

i cannot understand why anyone would want to throw shade on that.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #18 on: August 19, 2013, 03:13:56 PM »
Well Dean is doing his job... stirred the scooter pot and got y'all talking and thinking.

All I got out of it was what I took to be a attempt to cast a shadow of doubt/credibility on those who ran on open records.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline JimL

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2013, 03:55:40 PM »

Entering on an Open record doesnt mean an easy deal.  My first Bonneville I entered on a 500 PS record that was 101 (bikes were slower then).  That one came pretty simple with a 121+ number.  The open record I entered in unstreamlined 500 turned into a week long battle with the new Kawasaki triples and the Triumph boys from Detroit.  I went home with that one, barely... and read with disgust...the magazine articles telling all about the "cherry picking".  It never mentioned things like the Detroit boys giving me their last pair of plugs so I could barely beat their number!

There's wind and bad salt and gremlins in the machine.  Right after the other guys that show up unexpectedly, there might be some easier records.  While I havent had a shot at an open record in 15 years, I still get tired of hearing that "cherry picking" term. :x  If somebody is bothered by an open record, be it bike or car, build and compete.  Just remember that some of those unusual classes have some real engineering challenges that are scale related.  Nothing will be learned if nobody tries.

Tired and cranky and it shows today! :x
JimL

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2013, 05:46:28 PM »
I think one point made is that there's not much need for additional bike classes -- such as 1, 2, 3, 4-cyl. divisions along with 2, 4 and 5(Isky)-stroke classes.  There are enuf holes to put your pigeon in.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 07:24:21 PM by Stan Back »
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline desotoman

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2013, 06:23:27 PM »
I think one point made is that there's not much need for additional bike classes -- such as 1, 2, 3, 4-cyl. divisions along with 2, 4 and 5(Isky)-stroke classes.  There are enuf holes to put you pigeon in.

Stan,

I got one of them Isky 5 cycle cams, not for a Motorcycle though, for a DeSoto Hemi, can I add a new engine class for AIR.   :-D :cheers:

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline edinlr

« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2013, 06:50:33 PM »
I prepared a 1983 Honda CX650 turbo to run in P-PPB and also in some of the modified classes.  The production record was on an open record, but there was also another bike entered into the class too.  He went about 5 mph faster than I did and he got the record.  I now have a year to bitch at myself for not preparing hard enough for the class, but there is always next year.  I was also about a mile off of the modified records, so they are on the target for next year too.  It is foolish to think that if you just go out and spend thousands on a bike, hours of labor, and then take off work and travel for days, to think you will automatically get a record.  I knew that going in, but made the commitment to go out there just the same.  
Honda CX650 turbo, Kawasaki H2 Ninja, Kawasaki ZX750 turbo

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2013, 06:53:50 PM »

But that’s not all.
I understand this. It’s called cherry picking. You find an open record or a slow record and run for it. But it’s hardly competitive. I give everybody credit for coming out and setting a record. It’s not the easiest thing to do, even on an open record.

Weren't ALL records open once ?
My blood boils when reading this dribble !
I bought a record once, and promptly "gave it away" by allowing a 16 y/o team member to ride my bike, upping the record by 9 mph.
This "soft" record still stands (A/F 175) today, and as soon as someone "buys it" I'll buy it back. having spent a fortune for the privilege.
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2013, 07:26:10 PM »
Tom --

Too bad Tony Waters ain't around any more -- bet he could help you.

Have you thought of changing to a 2-stroke?

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #25 on: August 19, 2013, 07:44:21 PM »
Yup, I did it.
I saw an open record and bought it.
"Bought it" as in a bike I had already invested more in modifications than the retail showroom price. (I had a drag racing problem, got over it.)
BTW, drag bikes don't do well on the Salt.

That as 12 years ago.

In the meantime, I have designed, built, rode, and set records.
Various classes, I admit.
Every one cost the same to enter. Just like every other vehicle.

But there are 5 more turbo Sportsters coming to World of Speed this year.
A couple are sidecar. Maybe I had a hand to encourage them to try.

Look for #6062 to bump the record,
Sam
USFRA

Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline joea

« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2013, 08:41:30 PM »
modified:...too much sensitivity to commit my response...

at the end of the day......your/our satisfaction with what occurred is its own measure of success...

how its viewed by others may be another realm altogether...
« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:48:55 PM by joea »

Offline Gu11ett

« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2013, 10:32:19 PM »
As far as disparity-
 How about the fact cars guys can run almost any engine they want-car, bike, atv, sled, jet, etc. Yet motorcycles are limited to motorcycle only engines.
 If the rules are changed so cars can only use car engines, there would be lots of records for the car guys to "buy" or "cherry pick".
Or the concerned individual could build a bike himself.

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2013, 12:53:42 AM »
As far as disparity-
 How about the fact cars guys can run almost any engine they want-car, bike, atv, sled, jet, etc. Yet motorcycles are limited to motorcycle only engines.
If the rules are changed so cars can only use car engines, there would be lots of records for the car guys to "buy" or "cherry pick".
Or the concerned individual could build a bike himself.

are you drinking tonight ? What are you talking about maybe 5% of the car classes if not less?

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2013, 02:02:53 AM »
The absolutly most horribly difficult record I ever set was 98+ mph on an open record in 1000cc MPS-P...