Author Topic: Motorcycle "Records" - Really??  (Read 122737 times)

Offline Buzz Lightbeer

Re: Motorcycle "Records" - Really??
« Reply #90 on: August 25, 2013, 05:43:05 AM »
So Dean Los Angeles. Why the shitty attitude to racers who go for open records? Are you just trying to antagonise for the sake of it? Maybe you should have some extra salt & vinegar to go with that big chip on yer shoulder.
Instead of keeping spreadsheets build something & race it, so you can be a cherry picker too then you won't feel left out.
At the end of the day people put a lot of effort & sacrifice into building both bikes & cars, so they can race on the salt regardless of records open or established.
Yes it would be nice to say that you have your name in the record books, but maybe it might just be a personal goal to achieve building & racing at Bonneville.   

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #91 on: August 25, 2013, 07:22:55 AM »
Dean, congratulations on your first grandchild! They are WAY more important than LSR, or this thread! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Jessechop

« Reply #92 on: August 25, 2013, 08:32:22 AM »

As an aside and I run a 250cc, there were two speeds recorded that I found in the results at Speedweek that has me scratching my head  :-o

3419B    250CC     M-BG       Scott Guthrie Racing    206.125    212.339    220.295    210.383    214.368    220.295
3414B    250CC     A-BG       Scott Guthrie Racing    187.965    192.682    194.979    191.003    192.247    194.979

Can anyone enlighten me :? what exactly these Bikes/Engines are?

Pete

Pretty sure thats wrong. 3419B set a APS-BF 2000 record at that speed, not M-BG 250

http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/SpeedWeek%202013/Aug_14/RecsAug14.html

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #93 on: August 25, 2013, 09:42:22 AM »
Hey guys, while Dean started the stir of the pot, we are all involved...
If anyone out there has not cherry picked a record... step up and declare your innocence
I think everyone getting into this actually looks at what they think is doable.  That is the definition of cherry picking... find the low hanging fruit and try to grab it.  It is not as easy as a lot of folks think it might be, it is not cheap no matter what you run and every record is the new "bar" that the next cherry picker will reach for.

that was 3 pages back... so far no one stepped up to declare innocence... that is because we are all cherry pickers.... human nature.  Don't consider it a bad thing... success or failure I HOPE TO CHERRY PICK A RECORD AT WOS... our 60 inch gas record is faster than the blown record... I can assure you from past experience it took several years and several records traded with the Rice Bros to make the HBL records faster than the unblown.  Yes the stats make it look like it should be easy peasy... racing is the part that makes it harder...

OK, all records when the class was opened were open.  Get over the cherry picker status, that is what you (and I and everybody else) did the first time...
Someone has to be first... no one will be last! 

Dean, nice stir, congrats on the new addition.... you have 16 -17 years to get something built for him/her to race, thought about which record you plan to cherry pick? 
 :cheers: y'all

see ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline joea

« Reply #94 on: August 25, 2013, 10:22:26 AM »
 6 pages back..Dean posted "I give everybody credit for coming out and setting a record. It’s not the easiest thing to do, even on an open record."  I think many are not appreciating that.....

for example...i get asked all the time at work about..."I read about so and so she/he is a world/land speed  record holder"  etc...then they ask other questions, and find out more details........explaining open records...various classes...sidecars....new classes etc.....

it DOESNT diminish what they have done....it puts it in "PERSPECTIVE".....

kudos to ALL involved in LSR....strong common bond.....mad props to everyone....!

5 pages back I posted   "at the end of the day......your/our satisfaction with what occurred is its own measure of success...how its viewed by others may be another realm altogether...:)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #95 on: August 25, 2013, 12:52:51 PM »
6 pages back..Dean posted "I give everybody credit for coming out and setting a record. It’s not the easiest thing to do, even on an open record."  I think many are not appreciating that.....

for example...i get asked all the time at work about..."I read about so and so she/he is a world/land speed  record holder"  etc...then they ask other questions, and find out more details........explaining open records...various classes...sidecars....new classes etc.....

it DOESNT diminish what they have done....it puts it in "PERSPECTIVE".....

kudos to ALL involved in LSR....strong common bond.....mad props to everyone....!

5 pages back I posted   "at the end of the day......your/our satisfaction with what occurred is its own measure of success...how its viewed by others may be another realm altogether...:)

Joe, great perspective on the whole deal  :cheers:.

Dean I was about to say something bad about you stirring the pot and then not staying in the pot, then the new grand-daddy thing emerged.  My bad for even thinking it even if I didn't post it  :oops: and congrats,

Sum
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 01:57:14 PM by Sumner »

Offline Luckless

• New folks
« Reply #96 on: August 27, 2013, 02:33:58 AM »
Ha Ha Ha  I Think I get it

There are these stupid people who make great personal and financial sacrifices to support your sport.  So you get to call them names and belittle their efforts. And your friends defend you and complement you on starting a lively conversation.

Ha Ha Ha  I get it now

Wait a minute, I don't think I get it after all..........I think I am just laughing along with the crowd..........But I Don't Feel Very Good About It 

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #97 on: August 27, 2013, 04:02:33 AM »
I tried to stay out of this because I don't race there, and those who do should decide policy. But some of y'all are overlooking one very important point. Look around. All I see is pictures, but it appears the average age is way up there.

Look at what is happening in hotrodding. The major magazines were all doing their dead level best to kill the sport by belittling any effort to join in. Entry level was $50k or so or you were soundly insulted. Old geezers took a car to a pro shop where they threw most of it away and charged 6 figures to replace it all with kit car parts, and this was pushed as the only acceptable way to enter the sport. So young folks went to cheap Japanese cars and a whole new way of looking at individualization so they could be car nuts too. I berated Freiburger for continually putting out a completely irrelevant magazine for Old Geezers Who Don't Build Cars, asking him to turn the grand old name of Hot Rod Magazine over to someone that was actually interested in hotrodding. A few months later editorial policy took a complete turn in the opposite direction, toward something actually related to hotrodding. I quite possibly saved the sport. Other magazines are still trying to kill it.

Like it or not, and whether you choose to admit it or not, Bonneville will die a slow death if you don't somehow encourage young blood. Cronyism and old geezer cliques and barriers to entry are just fine and lots of fun for those of you with insecurities, but will kill Bonneville. Yes, the gall of some people, imagine actually wanting to come to our salt and race.

You need to run ads in all the auto magazines proudly pointing out all the open records and the wonderful opportunities for beginners to come on down and get a taste of LSR. That is what it will take to save Bonneville.

Or you can piss and moan about anyone that tries that, and watch young folks go race some other way, and young folks will race, while Bonneville becomes all about history and only about history.
Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #98 on: August 27, 2013, 06:12:28 AM »
Great posts above.
Thanks !
I AM truly chocked about the original poster.
Not in a pearl-clutching hysterical way...more in a WTF-sad way.

As I've mentioned before ;
I have meet NOthing but the kindest , most helpful people .... on the Salt ... and on this forum.
I could be wrong ( well...not really ) , but I was under the impression that this forum was all about helping and
encouraging each other , not belittling or antagonize each other or
flaunting an attitude of superiority.

Dean: I'm addressing this to you personally. Please show the guts to answer me:

You started out with one he** of a sweeping judgement :

.....the records were bought. As soon as they paid the entry fee and ran on an open record.
...It’s called cherry picking....

I posted a reply ( that for some reason you haven't bothered answering ) :

...It’s because 29 of the records were bought. As soon as they paid the entry fee and ran on an open record.
..... It’s called cherry picking....

Really ?

I must admit that when I read it I went:

Da'fq ??? ( pardon my 'French' )

Here's a news-flash for you: nothing is black/white...there are all sorts of shades of grey.

I'm one of them who according to you 'bought' a record.
First of all ; when I started out I had no clue if there was a record in my class.
In fact I thought I was to run in another class until I was told that my bike
wasn't a 'P' ( push-rod ) but a 'V' (Vintage) because my good ole' Indian have
very short ( apparently NON-) push-rods.

I spend 1½-years of my spare-time and every available cent I made, building the bike...put it in a box..
air-freight it a billion miles across the Atlantic...with the truely invaluable help from the best people in the world
run it at Bonneville...fail miserably...freight it back....spend another year building..
..air-freight it over the big pond again...run it with some success...ESTABLISH a record

...and I 'bought' that ???

Care to check how I 'bought' that ?
Be my guest:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,5849.0.html

Sorry if this makes me ever so tinybittyslightly...how can I put it?....'miffed'.

OK enough of this. Gotta get going updating my build-thread:

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,13079.0.html

BTW: I have NO clue if there is a record in the class that my new bike will run in.
That is not what this is about for me....yes: really !
You can applaud that, you can shake your head at that , you can choose not believe what I just said.
I don't give a flying f...f....front-fork.

It's the gawdhonest truth.

WHEN eventually I check to see if there IS a record, and if it turns out there ISN'T one,
I may have to change the name of the bike, and the thread, to:

'The Worlds Fastest Cherrypicker'

.....and of course be truly ashamed of myself.

Right

BTW: for EVERY SINGLE class ( and there's a WHOLE LOT of them) in which there is a record, there must at one point back,
have been a 'Cherrypicket' who established that.

Now here's a piece of good advise when posting on a forum;
don't post anything that you wouldn't say if you were seeing the person in real life,
eye-to-eye
So Dean, as were are a few thousand miles from each other, please have a look here,
so you can put a face / a human being, to the guy you're 'talking to' here.
This is me:

with bike:

with SpeedWeek record
( Pointing to the paragraph printed in really really small letters saying
"..This record was bought, as soon as you paid the entry fee and ran on an open record,
and will be filed under 'Cherrypicking'
.." ). Silly me, I should have read that. )

doing a dance of sheer joy and happiness after establishing a record at BUB
 ( "..  bought. As soon as [ I ] paid the entry fee and ran on an open record.." )

Now tell me that you will say to me in real life ( as you did here ) the things you said.

Let's say; you walk up to me ( mentally ) on that last picture
..tap my shoulder
..say something to the effect of: ( just guessing...paraphrasing  )
"Stop that dancing around. Your records was bought. As soon as you paid the entry fee and ran on an open record.
You're a cherry picker
.."

Would you do that ?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2013, 06:32:18 AM by octane »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline JR529

« Reply #99 on: August 27, 2013, 06:22:46 PM »
Getting a certified record at Speedweek, Bub, WOS WF or any other event is not easy or cheap. Even if you were the first one to set the record. Everyone who makes it out alive with a completed cert form has my admiration.

If you don't like open records then you should love that they are being filled up.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #100 on: August 27, 2013, 06:50:48 PM »

If you don't like open records then you should love that they are being filled up.
[/quote]                 Now there is the truth. Should be the last word on this subject.

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #101 on: August 27, 2013, 06:57:15 PM »
I have to add my name to the long list of "buyers"...not just that but at the bottom of my post you'll see that the record I hold is twenty miles per hour SLOWER than the Bonneville record....

tasty cherry but. :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #102 on: August 27, 2013, 07:56:04 PM »
I have to add my name to the long list of "buyers"...not just that but at the bottom of my post you'll see that the record I hold is twenty miles per hour SLOWER than the Bonneville record....

tasty cherry but. :roll:

You know that air falls down to the lowest spot where it is thicker, so harder to penetrate.  I'm impressed with what you have accomplished "down there"  8-),

Sum

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #103 on: August 28, 2013, 03:24:14 AM »
..and running upside-down, makes it even more of an accomplishment !
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #104 on: August 28, 2013, 10:36:51 AM »
Octane,

Last night over several libations it was unanimously decided by Waldo the shop cat that the Northern Europe Cherry Pickers Association, Copenhagen Chapter sense forth referred to as NECPA be granted full honor and privileges.

Congratulations!

Remember the motto, “You can only pop that cherry once”.   :wink:
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!