Author Topic: Motorcycle "Records" - Really??  (Read 122752 times)

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
Re: Motorcycle "Records" - Really??
« Reply #60 on: August 23, 2013, 10:25:31 AM »
Damn Octane, I like you! 

I am a member of the ECCPA Wilmington Ohio chapter.

I have “pollinated” the record book with my bought records. It’s my money! AND I am having a blast spending my kids inheritance. 
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #61 on: August 23, 2013, 11:40:44 PM »
Da'fq ??? ( pardon my 'French' )

Your French is impeccable. That's freakin' hilarious. Thanks for the laugh and way to beat Slim's "spell checker."

'The Worlds Fastest Cherrypicker'

I like "Odin's Fury" way better. Way to have you back Lars. :-D

I do appreciate the various technical dissection of the records. I've been analysing the present records and other available information to see what makes a fast bike to learn more and perhaps apply what I observe and I have to say, what I see is pretty interesting. So despite some of the negativity, the discussion IS interesting so thanks to Dean for getting this thread, er, started.

Jim

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #62 on: August 24, 2013, 10:52:41 AM »
Hey guys, while Dean started the stir of the pot, we are all involved...
If anyone out there has not cherry picked a record... step up and declare your innocence
I think everyone getting into this actually looks at what they think is doable.  That is the definition of cherry picking... find the low hanging fruit and try to grab it.  It is not as easy as a lot of folks think it might be, it is not cheap no matter what you run and every record is the new "bar" that the next cherry picker will reach for.

When we attacked the 1000cc bike class we had every intention of taking the record, held the P-P for several years, moved to modified, did well, rules moved us to SC (A), did better, had the first NA 1000 gas bike over 200, and then a club record for the kid.... this was a 6 year moving target (2 club) exercise in perseverance.

If you are a one and done, challenged an open record and won... then you are not a Bonneville racer... you are just one of the many visitors the flats get every year, you paid to go down the course.  You can brag on your record until someone else runs on it and takes it. 

I do not say this to make your record less important, I say it because as most of us know, LSR is a lifestyle, that is what Bonneville racers do, we go back and race.  Maybe that is what Dean was trying to get started, hell I don't pretend to know what goes on in Dean's mind, I don't really know him that well, except that I know he is a racer...
 :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline Jodar

• New folks
« Reply #63 on: August 24, 2013, 11:19:04 AM »
Decided to post on thread when Lars showed up. I was a part of the crew on his Indian effort and still remember the big Thrill Of Victory grin.

The initial post by dean struck me as an unwelcome unrequested attempt to denigrate motorcycles - the good ol' car boy mindset that motorcycles have no place in land speed racing. In years past this was known as the "quiltier than thou" syndrome. Sad stuff indeed.

Lars, you would have enjoyed our epic struggle this year. We had several somewhat-valid excuses including wet salt, bad coil and a tiring engine, but were in the end most appreciative of the last-chance record.

As usual, I had to more than once remind Bill to clean up his act. :-D

We're looking forward to seeing you snatch another record when you come back. Keep in touch --

Cheers, Joe

Offline dw230

« Reply #64 on: August 24, 2013, 11:40:39 AM »
As a point of education, Dean is a bike guy. Formally an accomplished kart racer he then built an ran a laydown bike before leaving So Cal for the farm country of Fresno, I think.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Jodar

• New folks
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2013, 01:03:39 PM »
Thanks for the enlightenment -

I still find the post puzzling, though. Perhaps I missed the point - as did a few others here.

No big deal :roll:

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2013, 01:13:49 PM »
We came to Speedweek for what we thought would be a slam dunk. Running on a 25 year old 225 record. Vincent vs Busa. No problem, right? Wrong!! Same body we ran 235+, 40hp more, 30lbs more torque. Wet salt, other minor gremlins and no record :-(. I did have fun! We will try again next year. That is Bonneville.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2013, 02:13:17 PM »
I think the points that Dean made were valid ones . . .

Fuel should be faster than Gas
Blown should be faster than Unblown
Bigger should be faster than Smaller
Streamlined should be faster than un- or Partially Streamlined,
Etc. and more etc. for combinations thereof.

Works for cars, too.

I also think the bike and car record counting doesn't matter as much as the bike and car Open Record counting which is too complicated for me to figure out.  That would be a significant disparity.

Stan Back
. . . and be prepared for more.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline salt27

« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2013, 02:47:02 PM »
I think the points that Dean made were valid ones . . .

Fuel should be faster than Gas
Blown should be faster than Unblown
Bigger should be faster than Smaller
Streamlined should be faster than un- or Partially Streamlined,
Etc. and more etc. for combinations thereof.

Works for cars, too.

I also think the bike and car record counting doesn't matter as much as the bike and car Open Record counting which is too complicated for me to figure out.  That would be a significant disparity.

Stan Back
. . . and be prepared for more.

In a perfect world.

Don

Offline joea

« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2013, 03:15:13 PM »
Dean made a ALOT of really good points...!!!!!!!!!

the data isnt HIS... the FACTS speak for itself.....

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2013, 05:04:51 PM »
(edit . . . ) If you are a one and done, challenged an open record and won... then you are not a Bonneville racer... you are just one of the many visitors the flats get every year, you paid to go down the course.   You can brag on your record until someone else runs on it and takes it.  I do not say this to make your record less important, I say it because as most of us know, LSR is a lifestyle, that is what Bonneville racers do, we go back and race.

Nicely said, Stainless. I have been trying to find those words for years. You couldn't have defined it any better!

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »
Dean made a ALOT of really good points...!!!!!!!!!

That's nice, but funnily enough , NO similar 'cherry-picking' "facts" about
cars establishing open records are presented...mmmmm....why's that ?

the data isnt HIS... the FACTS speak for itself.....

That's nice, but
"..the records were bought. As soon as they paid the entry fee and ran on an open record.
..It’s called cherry picking
..."

..those sentiments are not 'facts'. Those are opinions.
NO-one's arguing the facts. We're arguing the opinions expressed.
Some of us find them totally misguided and somewhat unpleasantly condescending.
We can do that. That's one of the advantages of not living in North Korea
but in the free world

.-)

...........................................................................................

Decided to post on thread when Lars showed up. I was a part of the crew on his Indian effort and still remember the big Thrill Of Victory grin.

Thanks Joe ! From time to time I still wear it.
.-)

The initial post by dean struck me as an unwelcome unrequested attempt to denigrate motorcycles

Me too. Hopefully I am wrong

Lars, you would have enjoyed our epic struggle this year.
I'm sure I would have. You have no idea how saddening it was NOT being there

As usual, I had to more than once remind Bill to clean up his act. :-D
Yeah..I know, he's so sloppy.
Ha, ha....I didn't mean that : he's my freaking hero !

We're looking forward to seeing you snatch another record when you come back. Keep in touch --

Cheers, Joe

Heeeeey Joe ! Will do . See ya' next year !
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 05:35:05 PM by octane »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2013, 05:23:19 PM »
We will try again next year. That is Bonneville.

Yep !
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Vinsky

« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2013, 05:38:34 PM »
Here's a guy who still loves speed trials at an age lots of guys are hanging it up. John Renwick has been at it for over 50 years and has been an inspiration to many.  I will be running an old Vincent on the salt next year just to see what it will do and hopefully hold a record for a while.

http://vimeo.com/71698727
John

Offline aut0m4tic

• New folks
Re: Re: Motorcycle "Records" - Really??
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2013, 06:06:06 PM »
The "fact" is, that the record in the book for the f/bgs is the one I want.  Its a little "soft" so I want to run on it.  The reality is, that by the time I have a car together it will have been bumped to 400.  Big deal. Its a dream not a dollar! 

If Dean is just stirring the pot however, he gets the record for pushing the most peoples buttons in the shortest amount of time. :)