Author Topic: Advice on soft salt  (Read 11035 times)

Offline nrhs sales

Re: Advice on soft salt
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2013, 10:05:09 AM »
Are there advantages or disadvantages to filling the gas tank full as per handling and weight distribution?

Every bike would be different depending on how you have your suspension set-up.  That is not a question that can be answered unless you know how your bike is currently balanced.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2013, 12:15:52 PM »
The international track was real good.  It was closer to the floating mountain than it was last year.  No problems at all.  Denis did a real good job of location and prep.

I did see remnants of the SCTA track.  It would have been pretty dicey to ride a bike over some parts.  Bikes need their own track when they are at meets with cars.  The car guys and gals would have shorter lines and the bike folks would feel safer.  A win-win situation for both. 

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2013, 07:53:56 PM »
My attempt at getting a weight distribution.  I went to the truck stop.  Everything there is set up for big rigs and not bikes.  The speaker to talk to the office is way up in the air.  I tried to weigh each end of the bike and there was not enough weight to get a scale reading.  I also tried to weigh each end with me on it.  It would not work, either.  Not enough weight.   

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2013, 07:59:35 PM »
Next I weighed the entire bike with me not on it.  It is full of oil and has a full tank of gas.  The scale reads 520 lbs.  The weight is somewhere between 510 and 530 lbs.  This seems reasonable.

The grand finale was weighing me and the bike.  The weight read as an elephantine 740 lbs.  This means the weight is between 730 and 750 lbs.  Again, this seems reasonable.

How do you experts get the weight distribution? 

Offline Gu11ett

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2013, 08:05:05 PM »
Go to a local speed shop, drag strip or dirt track. Ask around and someone will have a set of scales for setting their car up. They might let you borrow the scales. Or try they recycle /scrap yard, they might have a smaller scale you could use.

Offline Jon

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2013, 08:30:10 PM »
Do any of your local produce shops have scales in the range your looking for?
Makes sure its sitting flat to get your weights then lift up one end and re-weigh the other and you can work out the height of your COG.

Cheers
jon
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2013, 10:24:08 PM »
Jon, could you scribble up a set of example calcs to find the CG location, both horizontally and vertically?  Or point me to a good reference?

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2013, 11:31:09 PM »
     Check out: http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=22.  Should give you enough to get started.

We used it to figure the height of the center of gravity on my buddy's lakester.  With a short WB like a bike I would try using the 10" min lift first then work it up from there.  With the long WB it took a lot of front end lift [close to 30" IIRC] to make significant changes to the rear weight for more accurate calculations.

Ed

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2013, 11:39:09 PM »
How do you experts get the weight distribution? 

Hey Bo, the weight will be distributed between the front and the back of the bike....what?.....I was trying to help :roll:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2013, 05:44:35 AM »
     Check out: http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=22.  Should give you enough to get started.

We used it to figure the height of the center of gravity on my buddy's lakester.  With a short WB like a bike I would try using the 10" min lift first then work it up from there.  With the long WB it took a lot of front end lift [close to 30" IIRC] to make significant changes to the rear weight for more accurate calculations.

Ed
I used that program to determine the CG height of my Lakester and to mount my 'chute attach point. So far, (to 150) it hits really clean with funny stuff going on.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline maj

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
i use cheap digital bathroom scales, they cover the range of a bike untill you get realy heavy

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2013, 11:09:37 AM »

Ed
I used that program to determine the CG height of my Lakester and to mount my 'chute attach point. So far, (to 150) it hits really clean with funny no stuff going on.  :cheers: Wayno

I meant no funny stuff.  :roll:

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2013, 12:37:50 AM »
The bike seemed to be light in the front at speed and it would tend to follow ruts.  This last meet I did something different.  I ran with a full tank of gas and sat in the front of the seat and tight against the back of the gas tank.  This helped a lot.  It could be a lack of ruts, too, that was making it feel more secure.

Thursday morning the bike goes down to the metal scrapper to be weighed on their scale. 

Offline salt27

« Reply #28 on: September 04, 2013, 01:05:40 AM »
The bike seemed to be light in the front at speed and it would tend to follow ruts.  This last meet I did something different.  I ran with a full tank of gas and sat in the front of the seat and tight against the back of the gas tank.  This helped a lot.  It could be a lack of ruts, too, that was making it feel more secure.

Thursday morning the bike goes down to the metal scrapper to be weighed on their scale.  

You had me worried for a second, Bo.  :-o

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2013, 12:38:27 AM »
The weight distribution is 405# on the rear wheel and 350# on the front, static, with me on the bike and a full tank of gas.  I am not sure what this means as a weight distribution for LSR.  Any help is appreciated.