Author Topic: FWD or AWD  (Read 2589 times)

Offline Peter B

• New folks
FWD or AWD
« on: June 20, 2006, 04:48:18 PM »
Newbie here, with a question. If you were building a production-based  car for the salt, and you could choose between FWD and AWD variants of the same vehicle as your starting point, which would you choose and why? Presume that you'd be trying to make 400-500 hp or so.

AWD would seem to offer more traction, but would suffer from additional driveline friction, more parts to break potentially, and possibly complicate gearing changes. FWD would have less friction loss but less traction too.

Appreciate any input.

PB

Offline Dave Cox

• http://www.olddeadcars.com
FWD or AWD
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2006, 05:07:16 PM »
I would opt for AWD, the frictional loss in the driveline will be more than offset by the increased traction on the salt.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
FWD
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2006, 05:34:02 PM »
Must be factory equiped with AWD  :D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

JohnR

FWD or AWD
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2006, 05:40:09 PM »
I have a 550 hp FWD car (honda civic).

If I were to build a 400-500 hp car for bonneville only, I would go FWD. That is enough HP to get you onto the long course and you will hit you terminal velocity before you get to the five mile. Wheelspin wont be that big a deal as long as you have a method of controlling engine power (progressive boost control etc... not t/c  :o )

If I were going to run it at El Mirage, I would go AWD. The 1.3 mile distance is simply not long enough to get to top speed so it becomes an acceleration contest and with FWD, you will be stable but you will be slow.

If I had to build one car (dont we all?) I would do the AWD version and disable the transfer case for the salt. I am assuming you are talking DSM? if so, thats real easy to do.

Offline Peter B

• New folks
FWD or AWD
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2006, 10:05:48 AM »
Thanks for the feedback, everyone. That's very helpful.