Author Topic: Audio From The Great White Dyno  (Read 6717 times)

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
Audio From The Great White Dyno
« on: August 16, 2013, 04:06:44 PM »
Now that speedweek is over and the SCTA tryed there hand at streaming audio which was good and bad what will be the next meet that will be streaming audio and who will be doing it. One of the things i missed was being able to hear some audio from the cars and bikes. where where the two guys at speedweek broadcasting from IE where on the course where they near the starting line or further down the course. For car audio all they needed was a extra mic stuck out the window. For me hearing the audio from the cars and bikes adds to the enjoyment of the stream.  :cheers:
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Dakin Engineering

Re: Audio From The Great White Dyno
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 06:50:36 PM »
A "nice try" to the SCTA's first attempt a audio streaming.
Too bad they are trying to replicate a working system and failing.
Better luck next time...

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Freud

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 07:51:38 PM »
They were in an enclosed trailer at the 3.1 mile mark.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Gman

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 12:24:57 PM »
They were in an enclosed trailer at the 3.1 mile mark.

FREUD

Freud it was great running into you at the car wash but you ran off before I could give you something.  Thanks for your updates.  I'll track you down later and get it to you.

Now about that audio broadcast.....it sucked.  Worse yet is the new guy refuses to listen to people when they are trying to help them sound informed.  Here is my example:  I work on the 7800 Blown Fuel Streamliner ,anyone that was paying attention saw we were struggling to perfect some of our new designs. We decided to make a short squirt to just before the 3  mile marker.  On my way down to the starting line I decided to stop and tell the new guy our plan to shut down early so he could let people know.  The broadcasters often say to stop by and share information  but now I realize those are just words said to fill the voids.  Instead of being welcomed and writing down the info I got a look and attitude from Harold that I was interrupting his overly verbose broadcast.  He actually intimated that I was so dumb that I didn't know who to tell the info to by admonishing me like it was my first time on the salt by saying "You don't stop here and tell us we don't care, you are supposed to tell the starter "  Well, QQQQ (four Q) Harold because you did the exact thing I was trying to prevent when you go into a two minute diatribe about what could have possibly gone wrong.  I have the broadcast recorded for anyone that thinks I'm making this stuff up.

I'm going to tell you how to handle the broadcast because your year's of experience have failed you.

1)   Just because there is a microphone in front of you ,doesn't mean you HAVE to talk.  I don't care about what you had for lunch or whether your neighbor's best friend had a car that was the same color.

2) Prior to the run give me the car number, class,and current record he's running on. Maybe if there is time tell me what they have done on previous runs.

3) If the car has significant history or goes particularly fast you must say so more than once so people don't miss the run. You talking less overall would really help because after a while you sound like the teacher from Charlie Brown with all your useless drivel.

4) A little silence goes a long way to help this one because now we are hanging on you every word instead of blocking out your verbal diarrhea.  LET ME KNOW CAR or m/c is UNDERWAY and the number again.

5)Give me the car number and course again.   Now tell me the first mile time, the middle mile time, and the last mile time. 

6) Now give me the exit speed.  MAYBE  Insert previous exit speed here. Insert congratulations if it is a record run or qualifier.

7) shut up....stop talking

8) Repeat steps 2 through 7 over and over until it's time to go home

9) Save up all those nonsensical stories that are bursting out of you and go home and tell them to your dog because we don't care.
It's time to stop reading about history and start creating it

Offline Tman

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 12:31:04 PM »
Garran, great to hang with you guys and drink your beer! :cheers: Had a great time visiting. QQQQ, now that is funny! :-D Ironically for all the things the announcers did wrong, they got our info right and did a good job on the couple runs we were mentioned. Even a broken clock is right twice a day.  :wink:
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 12:32:49 PM by Tman »

Offline Gman

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 12:45:12 PM »
I miss you Glen.  I tried to come by to say HI but you were busy as usual helping in the Crack pit.

Or as Harold called you the Sesco streamliner.   Geez get a program Harold and learn at least the star players.  What kind of respect could you earn by learning enough not to butcher my heroes up

Offline BHR301

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 02:14:58 PM »
Gman....I couldn't have put it better if I tried all day!

To be honest...I felt that they were more interested in hearing the sound of their own voices than reporting anything that was going on..I feel any real information we got was by accident!  THANK GOD WE DIDN"T HAVE TO PAY THEM!!

Bill
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 03:49:47 PM by BHR301 »

Offline mstrdinan

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 02:37:34 PM »
We will have to wait untill the next broadcast and then give an average.........this time it was 4  out of ten ..
   their score so far is a 4    :-D

Offline michael lueders

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2013, 03:39:54 PM »
Never before have so many known so little for so long as this last Speedweek. It was like living in a vacuum.  I know more about the announcers feelings towards California farming practices, his views on the BLM and his favorite town of Chatsworth than I do about any of the runs. No info on the CB made it even worse. Really, the only sound on the CB was every crew calling for radio checks just to make sure the equip hadn't died.

GLEN!!!!
GLEN!!!!
GLEN!!!!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2013, 04:17:55 PM »
If landracing.com had done the streaming audio - we would have aired the same audio stream that Harold and Ron offered us on the SCTA site, so that wouldn't have been different.  It's difficult enough for lr.com to put the stream up there without the back-room support that SCTA has, but to offer a different stream of information just can't happen.  Not only would it require us to have our own announcer - but without the computer connection (to show us the same stuff that the announcers in the SCTA announce trailer are seeing -- we'd be lost. 

When Ron did the announcing all by himself his trailer/station was located at the start line for course 1 & 2, so he could (usually) see the next vehicle - using binoculars in some cases.  I sat in his chair and announced a handful of times so know what he went through.  He also did NOT have the computer system to watch so had to get his own stuff about the vehicle that was next, which stuff he had already collected from past years and the registration sheets that were made for him and sent over from the registration trailer each day.  He put 'em in order and would quick like a bunny leaf through that ring binder to offer the stuff he'd tell us, including previous runs, record in the class, and so on.  He did have that ring binder stuff with him this past week - again, I saw it and know what resources he had.

His stories about Bonneville come from not only having attended lots of events over the years - therefore building a good knowledge base - but also from having raced with his (now departed) wife Ellen.  Add to that - he was raised in Wendover - where his dad ran a gas station and garage where racers would frequent during the event for repairs and work and so on.  He's still got all of that information, but Harold doesn't. 

As for SCTA deciding to do away with the CB for everything with FM (used to be AM 1610), well, that did remove a bunch of good input that would have shown up on the audio stream.  Ron would hand hold his microphone and, when done talking for the moment, put the mike down on top of the CB speaker so the radio broadcast included everything that was on the CB.

The CB often did NOT contain all of the information that you're asking for, remember, because there was dozens and dozens of times that the tower wouldn't even put it on the CB.  Maybe the guy in the tower was preoccupied with another course's vehicle, or was interrupted during a run (when someone in the tower talked with him for a few seconds).  It was NOT as good as some memories might think they remember.

Finally - this year's audio did include some kind of microphone to send out ambient noise ( cars, bikes, etc) going down the course.  With the announce booth being just past the 3 mile and way far away from course #2, let alone #3 and 4 - only long course vehicles on #1 would make any noise that could be heard by that mark.  Yes, some of the course #2 sounds did make it to the announcers - but not all that much.  I'd venture to say that an outside mike stationed a bit out from the announce trailer, plus maybe one located at the line on more than one of the courses - maybe that'd give lots of engine sounds.

Therefore I say unto you:  let's all do our best to urge SCTA to continue working to make the audio better.  It's already better than what lr.com has last year as we were learning and experimenting, so it might just get better still as time goes by.  I did thank Scott Andrews, the new chief timer, my sincere thanks for getting the audio stream going this year.  It provided what was my dream from five or more years ago -- the folks at home could hear the sounds of Bonneville racing.  That's the basic thing -- the rest is just frosting.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline aut0m4tic

• New folks
Re: Re: Audio From The Great White Dyno
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2013, 04:25:36 PM »
I second the need for info on the CB.  Its nice to have accurate info from my portable CB.  When I bring it to the start line people gather around to listen. At my shade spot at the 3 people nearby come over and want speeds and car info.  Getting a portable fm radio is easy (already have it) its the accurate and relevant info that's important.  So really less announcing and more "telemetry".   Just my $0.02

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2013, 05:06:40 PM »
Four courses piled onto the CB makes a crowded mess of announcing all the times, let alone who's who and who's done what.  The CB needs to be free to instruct crews and help run the meet.

This year's FM was a step in the right direction as Jon has noted.  Yes, it needs some improvements, but has the possibility of becoming what we'd like to have it be.  I forget who commented that it'd take 8 people to cover all 4 courses, but that would certainly be a minimum.  To find 8 well-informed LSR racers to spend all day for multiple days keeping it live and entertaining is not possible -- they've got other things to do.

Our memories tend to embellish the past.  We set 5 records at Bonneville, yet I never heard Glen's well-known phrase.

This year's problem, as noted by many before, is that there doesn't need to be a constant stream of audio.  "Gee, my dad had a 38 Plymouth that color . . ." and more.  But what is needed is whatever facts they have.  And repeating them ain't bad either.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2013, 06:24:31 PM »
Four courses piled onto the CB makes a crowded mess of announcing all the times, let alone who's who and who's done what.  The CB needs to be free to instruct crews and help run the meet.

This year's FM was a step in the right direction as Jon has noted.  Yes, it needs some improvements, but has the possibility of becoming what we'd like to have it be.  I forget who commented that it'd take 8 people to cover all 4 courses, but that would certainly be a minimum.  To find 8 well-informed LSR racers to spend all day for multiple days keeping it live and entertaining is not possible -- they've got other things to do.

Our memories tend to embellish the past.  We set 5 records at Bonneville, yet I never heard Glen's well-known phrase.

This year's problem, as noted by many before, is that there doesn't need to be a constant stream of audio.  "Gee, my dad had a 38 Plymouth that color . . ." and more.  But what is needed is whatever facts they have.  And repeating them ain't bad either.

Thanks Stan, well stated. I hope they go back and review the constructive criticism that was offered and I'm sure that they'll have a few of their own ideas as well to improve the overall quality. It's a huge step forward already from what we had a very few years ago. Hopefully next meet will be an improvement based on what was learned from this year's Speedweek.

Pete

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2013, 09:00:33 PM »
So does anyone know which event will have streaming audio next WOS,COOKS TOP SPEED MEET or the WORLD FINALS.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Gman

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2013, 10:07:27 PM »
I miss you Glen.  I tried to come by to say HI but you were busy as usual helping in the Vesco pit.

Or as Harold called you the Sesco streamliner.   Geez get a program Harold and learn at least the star players.  What kind of respect could you earn by learning enough not to butcher my heroes up

Sorry spellchecker somehow didnt recognize Vesco as a name and changed it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 01:48:33 AM by Gman »