Author Topic: Motorcycle helmet - duckbill or no duckbill?  (Read 9546 times)

Offline V8Pinto

Motorcycle helmet - duckbill or no duckbill?
« on: August 14, 2013, 07:17:29 AM »
The "duckbill" on most of today's motorcycle helmets (assuming this is for venting?) has always bugged me.  I have heard that it is not an aero penalty but it sure looks like it.  I was looking through a few of the A2 videos and the AGV helmet with a more forward facing rider (rider looking forward vs. down at the tank) seemed to be the smoothest shape.  The AGV does not have a "duckbill" but does have a swept rear shape like the bicyclists use, though not as pronounced and thankfully without the spandex.

A traditional style helmet with a more round shape would seem to me to be the worst aero shape.  The AGV looks best, and the duckbills - ? 

Which style would work best with street style bodywork e.g. not a streamliner or fishtail bodywork. 

Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline V8Pinto

Re: Motorcycle helmet - duckbill or no duckbill?
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 07:27:58 AM »
Duckbill vs. AGV
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 10:05:35 AM »
Shane

Two different tests and two different results.....are you coming to El Mo next month?

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 03:27:31 PM »
Noonan,

Yeah I noticed the AGV rider also has a hump on his neck.  Wish I knew which helmet to buy :(

I am skipping El Mirage next month to go to the Shootout which is the same weekend.  I will be running at El Mirage in November for sure.  I need to send you my mailing address for that newspaper.
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline stobl

• Photo album of build
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2013, 07:48:22 AM »
Noonan,

Yeah I noticed the AGV rider also has a hump on his neck.  Wish I knew which helmet to buy :(

Think of the duckbill like a spoiler.  It helps to break the flow on the back of the helmet.  I use one on daily motorcycle riding and at 80+ it's definitely noticable vs my old round helmet.  The old style (at least on my bike) would try to pull itself up, off my head at speed.  with the duckbill, it no longer does that.  (This is in a "standard" bike riding position which has the air coming straight as my face, which amplifies the effect of the lift). 

As for the hump, that's a back protector.  It also does the nice job of providing a transition from the empty space behind your helmet to your back, helping the air transition off your noggin
-Blake S

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 01:42:50 PM »
We still use a spine protector with the hump. I don`t believe it was ever meant to be used as protection, but rather to do just what you see in the picture, aid the airflow.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.