Author Topic: First time to BUB and indeed Bonneville.  (Read 18148 times)

Offline peterdallan

Re: First time to BUB and indeed Bonneville.
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2013, 08:49:46 AM »
Its good to read over the rules one last time before you go.  We all forget at least one thing, usually.  It is a good idea to bring photo copies of everything you sent and received from BUB, entry wise.

We race a Triumph so we have all the essential hammers, pry bars, air grinders, torch,  etc you might need for routine adjustments.  Look for bike #7497. - Bo and Gretchen

Will certainly do so, as I mentioned we will fly a Union Jack and we are numbers 369 and 3696, same bike though, different class

Peter

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2013, 09:14:54 AM »
Quick question

Does it get cold in the evening or is it nice and temperate ie do I need to bring a coat. My weather app is suggesting one won't be necessary.

Cheers

Peter

Offline comet

« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2013, 10:17:01 AM »

Usually the eveings are great. comfortable enough to sit around the pool with a BBQ and a beer, but, the rain can sting! I would say stick a jacket in just to be sure. It really shouldnt be cold. Early AM on the salt is certainly chilly enough to want a fleece on. It gets pretty cool overnight and takes maybe utill 08.00 or 09.00 to start to warm up. But you'll soon defrost come 11.00 and onwards don't worry  8-)

Offline Pippi

• "do or do not...there is no try"-Yoda
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »
Would you advise I try to set up pits on the 23rd if I can, or do you have to wait till the 24th when the event actually starts. I don't want to be building a canopy and try and get the bike right for tech at the same time preferably.

Pit set up/pre-registration check in and tech on SATURDAY the 24th. You will not be able to set up on the 23rd because you will not know where the pits are. Racing does not start until the 25th. XOXO-Linnea  :-D

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2013, 06:50:28 AM »
That's great, thank you, will not have to rush from Vegas now and can take a leisurely drive with a couple of stops.

See you on the 24th!

Peter

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2013, 10:10:14 AM »
That's great, thank you, will not have to rush from Vegas now and can take a leisurely drive with a couple of stops.

See you on the 24th!

Peter

Welcome to our beautiful USA Peter.  Enjoy a more leisurely ride, plenty of great National Parks and scenery to take in. Your Triumph looks Great !
Good luck on the salt. Stop by the Gray Ghost pit anytime for a cool H2O - We always fly the Stars & Stripes, not hard to find.

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2013, 12:06:21 PM »
I will Jimbo. I took the family to Vegas last year for my sons 21st but while they soaked the rays I drive to Page for the Horseshoe Bend and the Antelope Canyons, I got some of the best photos I've ever taken. So much of your country I've still to see, can't wait for the time I have 3 months to just drive around at will. Havasu Falls next I think.

The Triumph I am running at BUB is different to the red one, it's this one. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Peter

Offline comet

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2013, 03:04:48 AM »
Very nice bike Peter. Good shot. What do you use? Nikon, Canon?
Absolutely agree on the 3 month thing. One day, one day we will be able to do the same.
We are stopping at page on the return run from the salt this this year for the same reason.

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2013, 03:49:36 AM »
I use a Nikon D300s. I keep toying with upgrading to full frame but this camera has proved to be excellent.

You won't regret going to Page, make sure you take a tripod to the Antelope Canyons, each exposure is 10-30 seconds. Horseshoe Bend is a mile walk from the car park, no safety railings so you have to hang over the edge to get the best shot, I was shaking a bit, 1,000' drop below.

Offline comet

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2013, 06:50:27 AM »
very nice. That little boat down there gives some scale, blimey it's big. I have wanted to go to Horsehoe bend for years. about 5 years ago we went through Page by accident and I didnt realise where it was in relation to horshoe bend. Been kicking myself since. So this year we are stopping overnight there.

I use a D90 and have been thinking about going to full frame for a while.

Anyway, I seem to be hijacking your threads.
Moving on
Petrol, methanol, petrol, bikes. Nitrous, salt, petrol yeah.  :cheers:

only 1 week to go  8-)

Offline maj

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2013, 07:49:18 AM »
If you get the chance spend some time in the area , we were there for a couple of days ,   took a tourist boat up Lake Powell to Rainbow Bridge
That was a great great way to see the scenery .

At Horseshoe bend it took us a while to realise there were people walking at the base of the far right of the bend .

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2013, 10:29:42 AM »
I think the boat down there carries 15 people, something to give you an idea of scale. Amazing!

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2013, 04:04:19 PM »
Well we made it from London, bike in one piece, checked in ok but minor issues meant we didn't get a chance to go to tech, but passed no problem this morning. We're hoping to get our first run later today.

Peter

Offline comet

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2013, 10:10:06 PM »
Hi Peter.
What mile marker are you planning on starting from? Seems like me and the wife are starting and wrangling etc on mountain course mile 1.

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2013, 10:59:25 PM »
Mountain Course 1 mile is where we plan to do our first run, 7am ish tomorrow morning.

Peter