Author Topic: First time to BUB and indeed Bonneville.  (Read 18120 times)

Offline peterdallan

First time to BUB and indeed Bonneville.
« on: August 13, 2013, 06:53:07 AM »
Hi,

I'm flying over from the UK next week and running a bike this year at BUB. My bike is currently in customs at Las Vegas and I'm based there for 3 days before I drive up to Wendover.

I'm planning to drive from Vegas to Wendover on Friday 23rd and I see it is about a 6 hour drive using I-15, US93 and NV318.

Would you advise I try to set up pits on the 23rd if I can, or do you have to wait till the 24th when the event actually starts. I don't want to be building a canopy and try and get the bike right for tech at the same time preferably.

Also what is left on the salt overnight normally. I'm aware of the winds so the canopy obviously but the bare frame stays up and bolted down I presume. What about bike, bench tools etc, are they loaded up into the van each night and driven back to our lodging?

Thanks for any help submitted here.

Regards

Peter

Offline Chris V

Re: First time to BUB and indeed Bonneville.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 08:39:09 AM »
Sounds complicated coming over the pond from UK Peter, setup begins on saturday the 24th at 9:30 am mountain time 1 hour later then Las Vages, set your clock at Wendover. Everthing is normally safe on the salt havn't ever heard of any problems like you said you are aware of tying everthing down. Chris Vetter "Vetter volocity" with team Tracy.
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2013, 09:04:18 AM »
Hi Chris

It certainly is, what with the shipping and logistics of getting everything we can't ship over here. It's why I have a couple of days in Vegas to find canopies, chairs, tables, drinks cooler yada yada yada, will start with the usual Lowes, Home Depot etc. all part of the fun and adventure of a trip like this.

Peter

Offline maj

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2013, 09:27:28 AM »
Get what you can before you arrive , Wendover is a bit light on for that sort of thing, between Smiths at the other end of town and the $2 shop nearer the salt you can usually get by but not with first choice items , we now have a real cool leopard skin look shade umbrella after forgetting to pack one

very unlikely you will be left wanting on the salt

security is very good overnite , but do pack it up weatherproof or you risk running over your items on the track the next day

Offline comet

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 10:44:35 AM »
Hi Peter.
Well done for pulling it together and shipping one from the UK. Looks like we will be following you out there but, alas, without a bike.
I am sure you have this on your list of things to buy, but get a tarpaullin to put on the ground or the salt will get on to and into anything, also a broom.

Security on the salt is pretty good overnight I believe. But tie downs straps etc to make sure nothing blows away in what can be some fairly strong winds.

Good luck, hopefully we will be able to meet up and say hello. Listen out for our english accents  :-)

regards
John Kennedy

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2013, 11:07:45 AM »
I have a whole list of stuff to get while in Vegas, I'm treating Wendover as if there is nothing there.

John, I shipped a 20ft flagpole and Union Jack with the bike so look out for that too. I'm trying to co-ordinate things with the Brough team so we sit side by side. We both raced bikes at the recent Pendine Sands event. I know Eric, the rider, from his Kempton Autojumbles. I've added my number below if you can't find us.

Regards

Peter
Barons Speed Shop
369 & 3696

Tel +44 7595 042 114

Offline comet

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2013, 11:44:42 AM »
I will come and find you, probably be on the Saturday as we will be busy from then on, and I am not sure where exactly we will be posted to.
It's a shame that John renwick wont be there as well this year. I saw the footage of his incident at Pendine. John was telling me the cones were too low and he couldn't see them.
What are you running Peter?

John

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2013, 11:57:56 AM »
I'm running a 1960 Triumph 650 in both A-PF and APS-PF.

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01:04 PM »
I ran my Tiger 100 at Pendine, but it was overgeared as we were expecting the flying mile but weather meant we only got a standing kilo. Best speed 97.20 mph. Great weekend though

Offline MJ Williams

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2013, 08:40:25 PM »
As you are looking for supplies in Sin City. Try a place called Sports Authority, they have cheap prices on canopies, folding chairs etc. They do sell quality stuff too but I go for cheap on the salt since sometimes it is a one way trip that stuff regardless of how much you spend. Cycle Gear is a good outfit to get your tiedowns, wheel chocks and things like that for the bike. Welcome!

Offline makr

• I make my own rules
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2013, 11:35:50 PM »
Beautiful Triumph!

Keep in mind 93 is a two lane, quiet road. Hope you are not in a huge hurry.

I drive home to SLC every night, so if you end up needing anything, let me know and I can grab it for you.

#663 Mark Atkinson
Ride fast, safety last.

https://speedofcheeseracing.com/

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2013, 12:52:03 AM »
Its good to read over the rules one last time before you go.  We all forget at least one thing, usually.  It is a good idea to bring photo copies of everything you sent and received from BUB, entry wise.

We race a Triumph so we have all the essential hammers, pry bars, air grinders, torch,  etc you might need for routine adjustments.  Look for bike #7497. - Bo and Gretchen   

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2013, 03:54:32 AM »
Thanks for the advice and suggestions.

Plan to leave LV early on the 23rd so don't have to rush up to Wendover. I'm a sucker for a photo opportunity so can sometimes get waylaid!

I'm going to buy a cordless screwdriver to help me unpack the crate, apart from our UK centric tools we have with us, any other power tools we should invest in or are we likely to find most of it there with people happy to help out if necessary?

Happy to get stuff if needed, but as mentioned, most of it won't be coming back with us.

Another idea I had was to rent a unit in Wendover to dump everything after the event and share the contents with the next Brits that are over. We could then dump and borrow as necessary and save money. Or will everything be a rusty mess by the time we return a year later?

Thanks

Peter

Offline Chris V

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2013, 08:05:38 AM »
Peter: you might also try "Harbor freight" 3 locations in vegas 1 at 2240 Nellis Blvd no. of Sahara Ave. Nice place for cheap tools, tie downs, bungies, conopy, ground cover tarps and Home Depot has large nails 8" long borrow a hammer at salt to nail down tarp. Also be sure to top off fuel in Ely or any were else when down to half tank. Gas is few and far between.   Chris
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline peterdallan

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2013, 08:24:51 AM »
Great info Chris, thanks. Can see now on google maps what you mean, and Ely is right on route.

Thank you.