Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494400 times)

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #750 on: August 27, 2013, 06:15:45 AM »
for an old veteran photographer at the salt it was a frustrated experience.

Around the startingline....some of the not credential photographer understand our concern and walked back, only that five other walked into the press area.

you can't kick them all out, otherwise you will have no time to make picture.... :roll:

but also the credential photographer was sometimes a pain in the ass.....they stand (for hours) on the same place, block the view or creates bad shades...when ask him to move a little bit they didn't listen and just stand still on the place...sometimes you have to be very polite... :roll:...or you got the luck that a other photographer tells him more polite..."move your damn...."

At last I left the starting line and went out on the course...making low speed picture between 1 and 1 1/2 mile....in the beginning there was no chance to make proper parachute picture on course 1....the pit was so long that the parachute/racer disappeared in the pit....no way...the last day, when the pit start to empty I could pick the Speed Demon on his 451 mph run from the 5 1/2 at the center boulevard.

The situation with the credential photographer went a little bit out of controll. Press, yes, but please with the right equipment. On Monday I had a "press" at the 5 1/2...mountain side on course 1....with a 200 dollar video camera.....oops....no CB.....when I talked to him....oh, CB necessary...this guy didn't know that there is radio channel....and he parked direct on the big sign which said...CB required....hard to read...
His driver tried to give me the s h i t....bad luck man....I can be very polite if necessary...but the press guy understand at last and went back to the pit...

As Ray and Larry said wrote before....one day someone will be hurt...and than we are in trouble
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #751 on: August 27, 2013, 06:46:02 AM »
Next time Ray; here's what you should do;
scream at them hysterically ... in German...like this:

http://youtu.be/PbcctWbC8Q0?t=3m22s

THAT will scare them away...fastlike... Guarantied.

.-)
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #752 on: August 27, 2013, 04:50:46 PM »

.-)

LOL!  Since there were a coupla folks shooting photos with iPads, I spose I coulda grabbed wonna those and smacked that geek with the striped shorts severely about the head and body.  :)

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #753 on: August 27, 2013, 11:46:18 PM »
Hey Freud,

Triumph posted this photo on their Facebook page on the 22nd...   :roll:

Greetings from Bonneville.

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #754 on: August 27, 2013, 11:47:39 PM »
Then, someone posted this as a response...

Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA

Offline Freud

« Reply #755 on: August 28, 2013, 01:01:21 AM »
Triumph is 38 years late.......

The president is from another century.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #756 on: August 28, 2013, 03:26:00 AM »

.-)

LOL!  Since there were a coupla folks shooting photos with iPads, I spose I coulda grabbed wonna those and smacked that geek with the striped shorts severely about the head and body.  :)

Sorry Ray. My mistake; that comment was for PorkPie.
No offence, but I'm quite sure his German is better than yours.

.-)

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #757 on: August 28, 2013, 03:57:10 AM »
Deleted.

I COMPLETELY misunderstood the post I was commenting on.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 06:59:17 AM by octane »

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #758 on: August 28, 2013, 04:39:26 AM »

.-)

.-)

I know enough German and body language to get the point.  :)  But yeah, PP speaks his native tongue much better than I do.

The temper tantrum in the video was pretty funny.

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #759 on: August 28, 2013, 05:52:16 AM »

.-)

LOL!  Since there were a coupla folks shooting photos with iPads, I spose I coulda grabbed wonna those and smacked that geek with the striped shorts severely about the head and body.  :)

.-)

I know enough German and body language to get the point.  :)  But yeah, PP speaks his native tongue much better than I do.

The temper tantrum in the video was pretty funny.

Ray was long enough in Germany....maybe too long...that he can work it out properly.....and very polite....iPad way..... :roll: :cheers: :-D
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 05:55:24 AM by PorkPie »
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline Brootal

• New folks
    • the-rumbler.com
« Reply #760 on: September 05, 2013, 12:50:20 PM »
Photos from SW 2013 are on my web server: http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2013/01-sw/Welcome.html

There are 4 sections: Quick Pix, The rest, Bad Manners and Rods & Kustoms.  The section names are pretty self explanatory, although I'll mention that the Bad Manners section was prompted by the abysmal shooting etiquette (lack thereof) at the starting lines, especially in the wake of HotRod (Larry)'s post here about the aforementioned subject.  Simply put, it was a whore's nightmare.  I'm gonna continue the rant in that Larry's thread, but you can see some pretty good examples here.

Hope you enjoy 'em,

Cool, you got a shot of me at Bonneville! :)

Seriously though, even if all of 'those' people weren't in the way, what do you want a photo with all that crap in the background for?

I'm pretty sure this is one of the shots I took, and as you can see, I was quite a way back from the edge of the track. That long lens you're using is obviously compressing the image quite a bit and making it look like we're right on top of the car.

What's just as annoying is the fluoro vests in the background of so many of the shots. I understand the need to be able to identify people quickly and easily, but do the people on the Moon need to see us as well? Maybe a more sympathetic, but still easily visible colour could be an option?

This whole, "Put fluoro on and she'll be right, mate" safety thing has got out of hand.

Of course, later on in the week it was much easier to get a nice clean shot. I thought this one was a cracker!

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be!

Offline typo41

• Huntimer Photography
« Reply #761 on: October 09, 2013, 05:44:13 PM »
A bit late, I am sure. But I got to see my green vest and ass, as for 'being in the shot" I stand on the line and I look over to the right and I see the line of photographers standing way back there with thier extreme long lenses, and I ask myself,,, what image are they hoping for? A tele compresses the distance, why not just come up to the line and slip on a wide angle? Or are you going for clean shot of only the vehicle moving down the couse without the push vehicle? Which would be past the start line.You could get the same shot at the one or at the timing tower. I shoot vehicles with the team members, racing is more than just pretty pictures of vehicles. And where do I find the team members doing what they do best, getting the drivers and vehicles down the course? The Start Line
So I am sorry if I am in your shot, but come on its a full week and I could also take pictures of photographers in the way, but what does it prove or change? Speed Week is the largest most exciting 'racing' event that almost any photographer worth his 'salt' is allowed to stand next to dangerous vehicles, be allowed to acess the pits with out giving up a first born. We get to  meet and become friends with a great bunch of people, and did any of you actually 'miss' a shot that would have been carreer changing? Do some things need to be address? Yes show up to a SCTA Board meeting and express your views.
Tony Huntimer
Huntimer Photography