Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494257 times)

Offline Tman

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #675 on: August 18, 2013, 03:56:40 PM »
There is a sure cure for salt fever, just let the Sheriffs oops I mean tech inspectors tell you how smart they are and how dumb you are. SURE CURE FOR YOUR FEVER! !!!!!!!

we heard more than a few teams had a bad taste in their mouths after tech.  that's a bumber......

Remember, there are two sides to every story.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #676 on: August 18, 2013, 04:55:45 PM »
I spent the last 4 hours reading

Yep the announcers sucked... I told Miriam some of the issues while waiting to run.  If Dumb would just announce cars and speeds it might work, but comments of "how disappointing to run 145 on a license pass against a 165 record" just runs me the wrong way.  I turned the FM off unless we were running... (kind of reminds me of running the early Bub meets, competitors don't need to know what's going on).... and we still didn't get all the speeds to know if we qualified because they skip the last mile and announce the exit... sometimes.

Thanks to all the well wishers... I am doing better every day... still have all my parts... cant say the same for the car, oh well, that's racing.

See ya on the salt  8-)
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #677 on: August 18, 2013, 05:02:36 PM »
Chrome moly is good stuff and a skilled welder can make a nice and safe lightweight bike frame with it.  One drawback is it needs the "skilled welder" and the tubes can break near the welds with no warning if the welding including before and after steps are not done right.  Some of the Honda dirt bikes in the early 70's had chrome moly farmes.  They looked great and we somehow managed to break them.  Honda eventually figured out a solution.  My fix was to ride a Yamaha.  It had a frame made from higher strength mild steel and it never broke.

My experience is, for the average homeboy, he is better off using the more forgiving carbon steel for his work, and where light weight is critical, having something professionally welded from chrome moly is OK.     

Lots of experimental aircraft are fabricated with thin-wall 4130 chrome-moly tubing. The trick is to use 4130N (normalized) tubing and gas weld it. TIG welds look nice but it creates a very small HAZ (heat effected zone) and this concentrates the stress into a small area. Gas welding, on the other hand, creates a wide HAZ and this distributes the stress. Post-heating a 4130 TIG weld can help quite a bit.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #678 on: August 18, 2013, 05:06:43 PM »
I just wondered if Stainless & JH wore a HANS or some other head & neck protection device. Also, did the helmet contact the side protection?

Just trying to learn as much as possible from their experiences. Glad they are up & around!

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #679 on: August 18, 2013, 05:43:17 PM »
We're in the middle of trying to figure out how I can, without Nancy, run the streaming audio from World of Speed, and one thing that I need to know is specifically what it is that you do and don't want in that stream.  Remember that I won't be doing any announcing - it'll be just a re-broadcast of the USFRA audio.  And I can't control that, but maybe I can take a list of comments to the USFRA board and their announcer(s) to give them input from the folks back at home (so to speak). Not that they'll change things 'cause Mr. SSS says they should -- but feedback shouldn't hurt.

There are issues that need to be resolved before I can do the streaming, among these being that I'm going to be inspecting bikes.  USFRA has promised to compensate me for being an inspector, and although that won't make me rich (in fact, it isn't money but rather lodging) - still, I'll have that obligation to the Club so I can promise to be available at all times to monitor and babysit the audio stream.  I'm already in contact with someone to do that work - but stay tuned in case I've gotta grab one or two or three of youse guys that'll be there anyway, okay?

I'll go on and comment (again) about audio from the Shootout.  Nancy won't be back at Bville this year (her job means no vacation time for the salt), and she's the one that would listen to the FM two-way radio chatter to give me the speeds and other information that I enter and post.  Since she won't be there -- would one or two of you that intend on going to the Shootout like to help me?  I won't bother with audio because there are so many long periods - sometimes hours long - with nothing to hear that it'd be pretty unlikely that you'd hear the cool stuff when someone makes a run.  Heck - there are times when we'll be notified of one team about to make a run - and it becomes a two-hour wait for that run.  Pretty poor listening conditions for the folks at home.  But if I can type it in when things do happen -- well, that's what I've done.  Someone want to take turns helping me?  I'll be the pit area course steward again, and that means I'll be stuck at the freeway end of the course for all but one or two runs, and therefore I say maybe two volunteers would be best - so you two can take turns going to the tower to watch the vehicles pass you at full steam.  It is thrilling, to say the least.

Over to you.  By the way -- we're at O'Hare field right now and awaiting the next leg of our flight home, so I don't promise to be able to read your posts, much less respond, 'til tomorrow.

Jon a/k/a SSS

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #680 on: August 18, 2013, 06:39:28 PM »
Jon as you know I have been asked to announce for the world of speed. I am looking forward to it. They do not have a tower like SCTA but I will try to keep the live action and other information flowing the best I can. The long course is the active one on CB and you should be able to pick up everything for that course. As this is the first time to announce for them things might be a little different but I will do my best to keep the interest of the racers and spectators aware of the action. See you in a few weeks. :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline salt

• EMD2CLM - B2CLM
« Reply #681 on: August 18, 2013, 06:42:21 PM »
Here's a quick report on the Kraut Bros. "punkass" rear engine modified roadster:

At the beginning of August, we decided on a whim to attend Speedweek '13.
Frenetic wrenching ensued. Tuesday before Speedweek we found out on the dyno that our vintage heads didn't work right. Thanks to a very generous donation of a set of AFR heads by Rick Stoner from Westech Performance ("Here, take these and go racing") and more frenetic wrenching, we arrived on the salt on Sunday night.
From Monday through Thursday, we made over a dozen runs, netting 9 new licenses for 4 different drivers. Then, we strapped on Helmut's experimental shaft-driven centrifugal blower and I upped the D/BF record by 39mph.
We were virtually the last car to leave the line on Friday . .  and she still runs! My fingers still hurt from pulling the parachute string tight so many times! What an epic Speedweek.

By the way, we did not have any issues with the courses (ran on 2, 3, and 4) or the handling whatsoever. Did over 60 miles of running and even more of pushing the darn car about. Found 3 bad tires upon our return home, though.

I believe Bonneville is all about overcoming near defeat, again and again, and ultimately emerging victorious.

A big "thank you" to Rick Stoner and the guys at Westech Performance, to all the SCTA/BNI volunteers, to Rick MacLean who is always there to help, and to all the well wishers.

Willi
Who Has More Fun?

Online Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #682 on: August 18, 2013, 07:05:32 PM »
Speaking of "thank yous" -- if you have a minute and feel it's worth your while -- thank the big companies that were major SCTA sponsors at SpeedWeek.  They included Safety Kleen and JAZ and others whose names I don't remember right now - but they're on the SCTA website.  These companies contributed in large amount to the needed support (i.e. @@@) to help the SCTA put on the event, and some thanks for racers, crew, and spectators will help the companies feel that their money/support was well worth it.  Sorry I don't have those other names in my head -- will try to remember to look 'em up and pass them on to you.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dakin Engineering

« Reply #683 on: August 18, 2013, 07:15:03 PM »

Jon,
I'm known for being longwinded and a big mouth.
Be happy to give you some down time,

Once I'm in impound, of course... :cheers:

Sam
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline Tman

« Reply #684 on: August 19, 2013, 12:03:47 AM »
Ironically in the 6 degrees of separation we had prayers today for Stoney. Wife plays piano and I guess his folks live here in the hills and attend our little country church!? She was blown away when she heard Bonneville in prayers...........might not have bode well for me, she is freaked that I will finish this thing.

Offline joea

« Reply #685 on: August 19, 2013, 12:11:08 AM »
Fritz's ...great folks....I hear they got a great deal on a super place in Box Canyon...:)...

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #686 on: August 19, 2013, 01:04:05 AM »
Thanks for the updates on Stoney, guys, been worried about him.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline JamesLaMere

• WoS'07
« Reply #687 on: August 19, 2013, 07:28:03 PM »
Thanks for the replies on tubing/welding!

Posted a couple dozen add'l. photos in a new album. More focus on people & personalities in this set (including the gal who kept intruding into everyone else's shots) at:

http://www.facebook.com/jameslamere/media_set?set=a.10201938016839925.1073741854.1469690395&type=3

PS: Excellent slideshow Porkpie!! Thank you so much for using some of my photos of your Red Hat Runs!!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

UPDATE: Excellent point Stan, so I just put them in another online album & sent you the link. Hope it works!
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

See ya on the Salt!
James LaMere
Denver, CO

« Last Edit: August 19, 2013, 08:54:41 PM by JamesLaMere »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #688 on: August 19, 2013, 07:30:02 PM »
Son't know how to get there from the link you posted.  Join Facebook?  Nah!
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #689 on: August 19, 2013, 09:35:05 PM »
Don't know how to get there from the link you posted.  Join Facebook?  Nah!

I'm with you Stan. While there are a few things like this that I might enjoy I don't have to know everything about what all my "friends" are doing. I don't like TV either and the trend to "reality shows" makes it even worse. Why do so many people feel that everything they do is interesting and the whole world should know about it?

Guess this is what happens after you reach a certain age!

Pete