Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494264 times)

Offline sabat

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #645 on: August 17, 2013, 09:08:04 AM »
Stoney Fritz....was cleared by trauma so to speak...cleared for surgery basically
tomorrow to plate the rib with multiple breaks, and a chest tube to help reinflate
the left lung....not sure yet if fx scapula will require surg repair....

he is at University Hospital in SLC...

Thanks alot Stan for the images...im wondered how all those great shots got in there each day..!! VERY much
enjoyed them....for without...much more would have been missed...!!!

Thanks for the report Joe. Tough year for land speed.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #646 on: August 17, 2013, 10:03:54 AM »
Pork Pie:

Well said. People who spectate must learn that LSR is all about the journey regardless if the record you chase is 60 MPH or 600 MPH. If someone wants sensation or countless replays of a crash, well there are other venues they can consume to live out that fantasy Most people that dig the crash footage are people that don't have the will or stones to attempt anything bold.

Pork Pie and anyone else that refuse to distribute crash photos to anyone but the car owner and SCTA I say good for you.

My 2 cents.

BR

This is Pork Pie,

using Ray the Rat's user....so as I'm sitting here in Ray's living room.

First, as I said at the 200 mph Banquet....to all the racer's who had the bad luck that their racer went out of order, a great and fast recovering, and a happy birthday to Stainless and our Hotnuts who walked away after their scary crashes. And a special thank you to the SCTA/BNI for the today safety standards which make this possible.

About Stainless crash....I have heard from this video (done by the Hot Rod magazine) and so as they said on the radio...the video showed 17 "loops"....but I haven't seen the video.....Ray had mixed up my picture with the video

Anyway, I saw the crash from a other view...standing at the 5 1/2 mile, ready to make the parachute picture from Stainless and the streamliner....I just had got the racer in the focus at the 4 mile when he went out of control...
I need a moment to get him back in focus, but from there on I done picture of the crash.....and what I saw during framing the crash I can say it was one of the heaviest I have ever seen....

it is tough to make picture from a crash...but may be tougher when it is the car from your team.....in this moment you better stay cool and get the pics.....

about this picture....they went only to Jon Amo, as the co owner of the streamliner....and to the SCTA via Lee Kennedy.....this pics will never show up on any places....they are only for investigations of the incident and the reaction of the construction...

This picture are uninterested for the public....if the public like to see "sensations" they can view reality shows....but not this kind of picture.....this one are just for the safety issues....

see ya

Pork Pie
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #647 on: August 17, 2013, 10:59:34 AM »
+1000

Pork Pie:

Well said. People who spectate must learn that LSR is all about the journey regardless if the record you chase is 60 MPH or 600 MPH. If someone wants sensation or countless replays of a crash, well there are other venues they can consume to live out that fantasy Most people that dig the crash footage are people that don't have the will or stones to attempt anything bold.

Pork Pie and anyone else that refuse to distribute crash photos to anyone but the car owner and SCTA I say good for you.

My 2 cents.

BR

This is Pork Pie,

using Ray the Rat's user....so as I'm sitting here in Ray's living room.

First, as I said at the 200 mph Banquet....to all the racer's who had the bad luck that their racer went out of order, a great and fast recovering, and a happy birthday to Stainless and our Hotnuts who walked away after their scary crashes. And a special thank you to the SCTA/BNI for the today safety standards which make this possible.

About Stainless crash....I have heard from this video (done by the Hot Rod magazine) and so as they said on the radio...the video showed 17 "loops"....but I haven't seen the video.....Ray had mixed up my picture with the video

Anyway, I saw the crash from a other view...standing at the 5 1/2 mile, ready to make the parachute picture from Stainless and the streamliner....I just had got the racer in the focus at the 4 mile when he went out of control...
I need a moment to get him back in focus, but from there on I done picture of the crash.....and what I saw during framing the crash I can say it was one of the heaviest I have ever seen....

it is tough to make picture from a crash...but may be tougher when it is the car from your team.....in this moment you better stay cool and get the pics.....

about this picture....they went only to Jon Amo, as the co owner of the streamliner....and to the SCTA via Lee Kennedy.....this pics will never show up on any places....they are only for investigations of the incident and the reaction of the construction...

This picture are uninterested for the public....if the public like to see "sensations" they can view reality shows....but not this kind of picture.....this one are just for the safety issues....

see ya

Pork Pie
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #648 on: August 17, 2013, 12:29:18 PM »
We all agree with those statement, thanks for keeping those photos private,  Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #649 on: August 17, 2013, 01:28:09 PM »
Well Stainless is moving around, slow but moving. His swelling around his "coon" eyes has went down. Chin swelling down, still has dizzy spells when moving head too fast or side to side. He is still amazed he walked away without any major trauma, broken bones. He will be traveling back to Kansas today with his grandson driving the truck and trailer.

After all he is "Stainless", he will be working on the Bockscar to have it ready for WOS.

Thanks everybody
Jon

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #650 on: August 17, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
One of the hilites of the meet was finally meeting the world famous Pork Pie. I could not believe he flys here from Germany 3 times a year for land speed racing

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #651 on: August 17, 2013, 02:01:09 PM »
He has a love for LSR, this is why we had him drive the Bockscar and we are happy to welcome him into the 200MPH club. He is a great friend :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #652 on: August 17, 2013, 02:04:00 PM »
Well Stainless is moving around, slow but moving. His swelling around his "coon" eyes has went down. Chin swelling down, still has dizzy spells when moving head too fast or side to side. He is still amazed he walked away without any major trauma, broken bones. He will be traveling back to Kansas today with his grandson driving the truck and trailer.

After all he is "Stainless", he will be working on the Bockscar to have it ready for WOS.

Thanks everybody
Jon

Jon, thanks for update. Glad to hear good things about Stainless. Goes to show that you built a car that is not only beautiful but proved itself on safety and construction for the driver. You are to be commended for that. I have always admired that beautiful streamliner. Hope to see it back on the salt in the near future. Good luck to you and Stainless, Mark.

Offline Bret Kepner

• Bret Kepner Photos
« Reply #653 on: August 17, 2013, 02:19:45 PM »
A few notes:

Can't say enough for Mike the mayor who opened the store at 11 pm last night for a crew members plane that got a flat tire on the runway on landing…

That’s the most vague possible comment on one of the most hilarious incidents of SpeedWeek 2013!

80 B/BGMS HIZER RACING SPIRITS
I assume this is not the LeSabre?

It’s the new “Courtney Memorial” Berkely.

Just heard them talking about the American Iron Roadster class requiring a steel body..where is that requirement shown in the rule book?

I believe the requirement is plainly stated in the name of the class.

One more note and not trying to be critical, but the 911 roadster ran 295 on a five mile pass Sun or Mon.

Incorrect. The new fuel tank DID allow them to finally run to the Four but they only drained 2.5 gallons after that pass. It never went to the Five.

For the record:

Four cars, (Poteet, Dauernheim, Strasburg and Dalton), clocked over 300 mph.

Five drivers, (Hudson, McLeish, Hot Nuts, Steele, Fritz), were involved in crashes…not counting numerous collisions with Mile Markers.

Based on my count as they happened, the total number of spins throughout the week on all four courses was thirty-seven.

It was great to see everybody; congratulations to the new “Kilo Klub” members!
Bret Kepner
BRETKEPNER@Prodigy.net
Saint Louis, Missouri, USA

Offline Freud

« Reply #654 on: August 17, 2013, 02:30:46 PM »
Car wash opportunities in SLC:

On West North Temple I found three places.

The first two are on Redwood Street.

On the South East corner there is a Shell Station. When their washer is working it

even does the underside. Pay inside unless you buy gas from them. Then you can pay

at the pump. It wasn't working on Friday so I don't know what the cost is. I have used it in the past.

On the North West side (just diagonally across the street) is a Chevron.

Drive around behind the building to access it. Credit or debits accepted.Their facility is

first class w/o brushes. Their water cleaned the salt stains off of the alloy wheels on my Caddy.

Three prices. I chose the middle one for $6.00. You drive in, stop and sit while the wash is done.

Pull ahead and the blower does a good dry job. Lighted display tells you what to do.

At 1680 ,on the North side of the street, is a multiple wash place with wands. I used it a long time ago.

If you haven't done any washing since driving off of the salt I'd suggest it as the place to stop.

I have no idea of the cost.  The cross street is either 1600 or 1680 and I think it's 1680.

Get your rental car in town and save the airport taxes that are over $40. The taxes are over 40%.

A $12.50 taxi ride ( I was told it is a locked fee) takes you to town.

The other alternative is the light rail for $2.50 that you catch at the East end of  terminal #1 at SLC.

The rental car people can not drop you at the airport but they can pick you up at the light rail stop.

If you board the train in downtown there is no cost to ride to the airport.  I don't know the frequency but the wait

was not long for me. ENTERPRISE took me to the rail stop.

SLC has mean rental car taxes. They are still paying for the Winter Olympics and will be for a long time.

I hope you had an enjoyable time on the salt. To me it was strange. For a first timer it is your only standard by

which to judge. Many reliable cars had traction problems. Others just ripped the lid off the event.

SO goes it.

I want to THANK the people that looked me up. It was joy to meet all of you. Next time I may remember

your face and forget your name.  But then again I may not remember either your name or face.

That's the way it happens when you get older than many trees.

We plan to have the TARGET 550 car at World of Speed. I hope you can share it's maiden runs with us.

Don't expect anything earth shattering. It's all shake down and seat time.

FREUD

Since '63

Offline Track T-4

• New folks
« Reply #655 on: August 17, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
This was our first time to the salt and Speedweek.  We spent Saturday, Sunday and Monday there and had a super time.  A big THANK YOU to everyone on this thread who offered suggestions and advice on everything to make our experience even better - rental cars, lodging, eateries, when to attend, do's and dont's, what to wear, what to take, invites to stop by and see their cars, commentary and photos on this forum, and much more.  Everyone we met in Utah was friendly and helpful from Wendover to Park City (we also took side trips to Salt Lake City and Park City). 

We met a bunch of fellow hot rodders who shared their shade and friendship with us all three days.  One of them took each of us for a spin in his vintage hot rod and did a few donuts, when my wife returned from her ride - she was behind the wheel, had done a few donuts, and was covered in salt...absolutely made her day! 

After concerns about using a rental car - they didn't ask and we didn't tell.  After the third day the $5 bulk wash at Land's End pretty much did the job on removing the salt and I only spent another $6 doing a more detailed wash. On the floors we used the sticky-sided plastic normally used to protect home carpets, even used it to wrap the pedals without needing tape.  The stuff is a little difficult to manage but it lasted all three days and hardly required any vacuuming when removed.

Maryland is a long way away so I'm not sure when we'll get there again but this year was certainly a memorable experience.    :cheers:

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #656 on: August 17, 2013, 04:43:21 PM »

For the record:

Based on my count as they happened, the total number of spins throughout the week on all four courses was thirty-seven.

In looking at the published results, my count on spins/crashes is 47 - and that doen't include any that took place on record runs.  There were obviously more, as the results didn't include the "comments" for Tuesday's runs, and seemed to list precious little for the long course runs. 
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #657 on: August 17, 2013, 05:56:21 PM »
 "the total number of spins throughout the week on all four courses was thirty-seven."

36 of them was the sprint car :evil: :-D
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #658 on: August 17, 2013, 06:17:50 PM »
Jon,  Thanks for the update---SS take care going home and when you get home
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline azgearhed

• 1979 Z-28 AA/CBGC & AA/CGC & AA/CBGALT
« Reply #659 on: August 17, 2013, 07:26:41 PM »
Hello from BC Racing. I did not access the forum while I was at Speedweek but I'm gonna give a recap of our week here. We drove up on Thursday and went though tech on Friday. We have 3 drivers and only 1 hat so we intended to fix that imbalance. We just installed a Racepak system on our car so Roger made a checkout pass Saturday  on course 1 to the 2 1/4 to baseline and check function. Sunday A.M. Mark ran on course 1 and clicked it early with shift problems. I ran later at 2 pm on course 1, went 219 in the middle and skatin' big time. We went to course 2 and made a run @4:15 and I ran 232 @ the 3, more stable, but ran out of fuel (hope we don't do that again). I made another run @ 5:52 going 206 in the 2 1/4 with handling problems (tracks in the course I think).  Monday I ran @ 11am, course 2 and went 254 in the last mile on our own 251 record. Tuesday out of impound were in line for the run on 2 when Stainless crashed, so because of a long (1hour) clean up, they moved the rest of the backup runs over to the loose course 1. (what a yah gonna do?) I was @ 240 to the 4 when the car seemed to grab a groove and hooked hard to the right. They said I spun 5 times, first spin ever for the car 26 runs @ bville and 10 at ElMo. We went out later in the day after inspection and on course 2 and I ran about 230 and hit a course marker on the left side of the track. Gettin' driving lessons I guess-caved in the air dam and blew out the windshield . After a pow wow, Roger and Don went to SLC to get a new windshield (thanks Robby Cohn) and Mark fixed the air dam. Wednesday am, class change to AA/CBGALT, Roger made a run @ 12:30 going 256 to the 4 on a 249 record. Thursday backed it up with a 254. We were gonna try some more but in inspection we found a hole burned in the blower to intercooler silicone tube the size of a bratwurst and water out of #6 spark plug hole. But a pretty good week all in all.
BC Racing 1979 Z-28
AA/CBGC Record 251.802 Speed Week 2012
AA/CBGALT Record 255.382 Speed Week 2013
AA/CBGC Record 226.104 El Mirage Sept 2015
AA/CBFALT Record 227.954 El Mirage June 2016
AA/CBGC Record 267.878 Speed Week 2018
AA/CBGALT Record 236.458 El Mirage Nov 2016
It's a lot of work to have fun...