Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494401 times)

Offline Rcktscientist

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #630 on: August 16, 2013, 05:54:07 PM »
The Speed Demon gets down the course with no problem because of Downforce. That car has a bunch of it making it very stable. That equates to Drag that takes HP to overcome, which is why Mr. Dutwieler comes in.

that car looks pretty darn neutral to me..... i dont see where you see downforce...... Turbinator is #111 not #444

I wonder if Speed Demon has got traction control figured out, 323 in the 21/4 :-o where other cars with wings and fast
speeds in the past can't get a decent time anywhere.

They get the power to the ground fast for sure, all incrementals are other worldly. It's a question of balance and technology. Downforce, traction control and a 7 speed Liberty Transmission is a big part of the quick acceleration. They have been working years to get it to come together and it's great to see them set records. There are several AA/FS now, each with a very different approach. Will be interesting to see how they do.

Offline Larry C

• Global Moderator
  • Real sidecars have passengers
« Reply #631 on: August 16, 2013, 07:04:33 PM »
Max, this is an old news conversation like I said "Thank goodness we are fortunate to have different venues where we can all exercise our passion for speed"

Offline jl222

« Reply #632 on: August 16, 2013, 07:18:58 PM »
The Speed Demon gets down the course with no problem because of Downforce. That car has a bunch of it making it very stable. That equates to Drag that takes HP to overcome, which is why Mr. Dutwieler comes in.

that car looks pretty darn neutral to me..... i dont see where you see downforce...... Turbinator is #111 not #444

I wonder if Speed Demon has got traction control figured out, 323 in the 21/4 :-o where other cars with wings and fast
speeds in the past can't get a decent time anywhere.

They get the power to the ground fast for sure, all incrementals are other worldly. It's a question of balance and technology. Downforce, traction control and a 7 speed Liberty Transmission is a big part of the quick acceleration. They have been working years to get it to come together and it's great to see them set records. There are several AA/FS now, each with a very different approach. Will be interesting to see how they do.

The 7 speeds might help them from falling out of power band [or whereever band they want] but it's not going to help acceleration if they blow the tires off. I suspect traction control.
  We have to short shift the 222 car at a low power level less than 40% throttle and will still blow tires away in 3rd gear, full throttle only in high gear but still managed a 280 mph 21/4 time.  2011 only 40% throttle in high
gear before spinning on wet course. Started raining or had rained at the 3 mile on run. Chute was soaked when
picked up.

I know one reason Freddy D overgeared and short shifted his lakester was the tires would blow off. Not sure
but think he had 320 mph 21/4 also.

Looking into traction control for speed and safety.

JL222

Offline CG

• New folks
  • Not a racer ... just a fan
« Reply #633 on: August 16, 2013, 07:22:07 PM »
Hammond spin photo sequence. Shot by a pals nephew, firstimer on the salt. He held his ground and kept shooting as all around him dove!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Lccm1zeDk0&feature=player_embedded

Way to stand his ground.  Nice shots. :cheers:

I think that was the 15 year old, newly minted car guys. Mark is trying to get them interested.

It was Wyatt the 13 year old ... His brother and I were looking for cover lol.

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #634 on: August 16, 2013, 07:54:05 PM »
A few comments . . .

I got back yesterday after taking about a 100 (finished) photos each day Saturday thru Wednesday.  Each day they were supposed to be posted on the SCTA site.  Some ran a little late.  I was on all 4 courses, but it was impossible to include names and times and get them posted that night.  Hopefully some racers will see their vehicle on the salt for the first time.  This was my focus. 

I've spent quite a bit of time today catching up with what happened.  I'd try the FM for a few minutes between courses and then give up.  I'd given the announcers my pre-entry sheets that I'd re-sorted in numerical order and posted the three-digit class record on each  for their reference.  I thought they did an okay job with this.  But all the other unrelated comments were, in my opinion, not needed.  It certainly is not required to be talking all the time, especially if you're not on subject.

I was one of the yellow-vested folk.  Yes, once in a while, I'd get in someone's way, but it was by accident.  Ron Jolliffe asked me over on #1 to herd the cats, but I really had no authority and courtesy was not even considered by quite a few.  One time we were all lined up at 45º off the starting line, and one German fellow stood out by 20 feet from the line.  I explained the principle to him, and he obligingly stepped back 1 foot.  (No, it was not PP.)

All in all, I worked about 9 hours each day, and didn't have a clue as to what was transpiring.  My car and bike shots are included with the SCTA results.

I hope someone finds them enjoyable.

Stan
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Freud

« Reply #635 on: August 16, 2013, 08:00:22 PM »
Jim, there was a bag of cat food in every bag of kitty litter that was used.

You should have asked Lee Kennedy to have some shared with you.

That may have made your job easier.

Congratulations on your induction into The Kilo Klub.

It was a beautiful ceremony.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #636 on: August 16, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »
To answer my earlier question, I checked the results on the SCTA website.  According to that (which would jibe with the third entry number) Speed Demon qualified yesterday and set the record today with the "C" motor.  If I remember correctly, it's 347".   
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

LittleLiner

« Reply #637 on: August 16, 2013, 08:52:07 PM »
. . .  I worked about 9 hours each day, and didn't have a clue as to what was transpiring.  My car and bike shots are included with the SCTA results.         

Stan,  Thank you for the photos and your other efforts  . . you (and others) make 'viewing' speedweek from afar possible,       Art

Offline joea

« Reply #638 on: August 16, 2013, 09:21:26 PM »
Stoney Fritz....was cleared by trauma so to speak...cleared for surgery basically
tomorrow to plate the rib with multiple breaks, and a chest tube to help reinflate
the left lung....not sure yet if fx scapula will require surg repair....

he is at University Hospital in SLC...

Thanks alot Stan for the images...im wondered how all those great shots got in there each day..!! VERY much
enjoyed them....for without...much more would have been missed...!!!

Offline trimmers

• Jeff in Boise
« Reply #639 on: August 16, 2013, 09:37:02 PM »
I know we had all hoped for an event without mishaps, but I guess it was not to be.   

Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery for Stoney!   
------------- 1 of just 3 in all 3  -------------
USFRA 130 MPH Club 09/18/2008 136.757
USFRA 150 MPH Club 09/17/2009 152.162
Bonneville 200 MPH Club 09/15/2019 218.600
Best Run: 253.080 MPH 09/14/2019 #6556

Offline Gary Perkinson

« Reply #640 on: August 16, 2013, 10:18:16 PM »
A few comments . . .

I got back yesterday after taking about a 100 (finished) photos each day Saturday thru Wednesday.  Each day they were supposed to be posted on the SCTA site.  Some ran a little late.  I was on all 4 courses, but it was impossible to include names and times and get them posted that night.  Hopefully some racers will see their vehicle on the salt for the first time.  This was my focus. 

I've spent quite a bit of time today catching up with what happened.  I'd try the FM for a few minutes between courses and then give up.  I'd given the announcers my pre-entry sheets that I'd re-sorted in numerical order and posted the three-digit class record on each  for their reference.  I thought they did an okay job with this.  But all the other unrelated comments were, in my opinion, not needed.  It certainly is not required to be talking all the time, especially if you're not on subject.

I was one of the yellow-vested folk.  Yes, once in a while, I'd get in someone's way, but it was by accident.  Ron Jolliffe asked me over on #1 to herd the cats, but I really had no authority and courtesy was not even considered by quite a few.  One time we were all lined up at 45º off the starting line, and one German fellow stood out by 20 feet from the line.  I explained the principle to him, and he obligingly stepped back 1 foot.  (No, it was not PP.)

All in all, I worked about 9 hours each day, and didn't have a clue as to what was transpiring.  My car and bike shots are included with the SCTA results.

Stan

Stan: Just went through your photos on the SCTA page...beautiful! Definitely an inspiration for all of us who haven't run a car on the salt yet but are trying to get there. Thanks for the great work!

Gary
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1 mile)     143.313
LTA   G/BGALT Record (1.5 mile)  148.321
LTA   F/PRO Record (1 mile)         114.668

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #641 on: August 16, 2013, 10:34:28 PM »
This is Pork Pie,

using Ray the Rat's user....so as I'm sitting here in Ray's living room.

First, as I said at the 200 mph Banquet....to all the racer's who had the bad luck that their racer went out of order, a great and fast recovering, and a happy birthday to Stainless and our Hotnuts who walked away after their scary crashes. And a special thank you to the SCTA/BNI for the today safety standards which make this possible.

About Stainless crash....I have heard from this video (done by the Hot Rod magazine) and so as they said on the radio...the video showed 17 "loops"....but I haven't seen the video.....Ray had mixed up my picture with the video

Anyway, I saw the crash from a other view...standing at the 5 1/2 mile, ready to make the parachute picture from Stainless and the streamliner....I just had got the racer in the focus at the 4 mile when he went out of control...
I need a moment to get him back in focus, but from there on I done picture of the crash.....and what I saw during framing the crash I can say it was one of the heaviest I have ever seen....

it is tough to make picture from a crash...but may be tougher when it is the car from your team.....in this moment you better stay cool and get the pics.....

about this picture....they went only to Jon Amo, as the co owner of the streamliner....and to the SCTA via Lee Kennedy.....this pics will never show up on any places....they are only for investigations of the incident and the reaction of the construction...

This picture are uninterested for the public....if the public like to see "sensations" they can view reality shows....but not this kind of picture.....this one are just for the safety issues....

see ya

Pork Pie

Offline Freud

« Reply #642 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:55 PM »
Thanks for being there Porkie.

The odds are poor when the goal is a parachute shot.

You never know where it will happen.

Just look where Turbinator pulled his chute: before the 3.

Jonny Hot Stones didn't get to the normal chute release point either.

A lot of experience helps create luck but 'chute shots are always a gamble.

You captured documentation that was more important than the 'chute shot.

Ya done good.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #643 on: August 16, 2013, 11:32:05 PM »
Thanks for being there Porkie.

The odds are poor when the goal is a parachute shot.

You never know where it will happen.

Just look where Turbinator pulled his chute: before the 3.

Jonny Hot Stones didn't get to the normal chute release point either.

A lot of experience helps create luck but 'chute shots are always a gamble.

You captured documentation that was more important than the 'chute shot.

Ya done good.

FREUD

Pork Pie again

Freud,

parachute picture are always a luck to be on the right place.

but in a moment like Stainless incident everything has to step back....and the parachute picture didn't count anymore....important is in that moment to frame the situation so we can learn from this experience.

Stainless and Jonny were both very lucky that they walked away with minor injuries....during the crash I gave Stainless not 10 cents.....for me it is a miracle....so more I was happy to seeing him at our table at the 200 MPH Club banquet.....and his inner smile was wider than the room where we had the banquet.....Stainless, thanks that you make it to THIS banquet

...wished we had a bigger table that you, Freud, also could join us....but we had really no space left over, we was sitting shoulder to shoulder after we had add another chair, so we was 11 instead of 10 on the table....we was on the limit....sorry for that.

and thanks again for the funny picture of my speech....

I'm looking for seeing you in September

Pork Pie

« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:33:36 PM by RayTheRat »

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #644 on: August 17, 2013, 12:11:30 AM »
Joe, thanks for report on Stony, been waiting with baited breath to say the least! Good friend and I tuned the beast. Good juju sent!
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!