Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 495800 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #510 on: August 15, 2013, 01:04:24 PM »
Larry:

Wow what a difference 2 seconds will make. Looks like a good pass in that frame.

I respect your embargo on the later images. They are far more valuable to the right people analyzing what happened and how to make things safer than some gauwkers looking at the pics on the internet. All that matters is that the safety equipment did its job and the drivers are ok. It is also nice that you witnessed the chute release on Stainless's car. That's always a Monday Morning Q back remark..."if the just pulled the chute." What people that don't do this fail to understand is at Bonneville speeds the mind is always playing catch up. A lot happens in the 1/4 to 1/2 second it takes our minds to process and our hands to react when a car is going 440 ft. a second.

Stainless and Johnny glad you are ok. Larry thanks for the update.

BR

Morning all!
I just got home, had to come home to go to work but had a good time all things considered.

I had a close up view of both the Johnny Hotnuts and the Amo-Steel incidents. Both drivers are very lucky that the safety equipment the SCTA insists on did its job.
So glad to hear Johnny and Stainless are ok, I was really worried when I saw the situations unfold.

I personally embargo all crash related pictures except for the car owners and the technical staff from the SCTA, those crash images have already been passed on to the SCTA for their evaluation.

The following picture of the Amo-Steel streamliner was taken almost exactly 2 seconds before the car got sideways.

From my vantage point viewing the car directly from the side I saw no hint of a problem right up until the last moment, it seemed to be running "hot straight and true" as the old navy guys used to say about a torpedo.

It happened very fast and stainless got the chute out as quickly as any human could be expected to react when things went south.

If you guys want copies of the crash images let me know by PM and I will get you full resolution images for your analysis.

Larry
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #511 on: August 15, 2013, 01:11:21 PM »
I don't really don't have experience in streamliners, just in coupe/sedans at 216mph, but looking at the picture of streamliner #1411 F/FS that crashed, Question would be would the streamliner be more stable if the rear wheels were moved farther to the rear of car, its just looks like a lot of leverage on the car if it gets just a little sideways, then thus the spin, just a thought and I'm probably wrong! What do you guys think? Dave
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline sabat

« Reply #512 on: August 15, 2013, 01:26:30 PM »
Go Team Vesco!!!!

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #513 on: August 15, 2013, 01:48:22 PM »
I should probably clarify, my reference to "if you guys" want images was directed at the car owners of the cars involved in those incidents.

After I have talked to them I "might" consider making copies available (under a tightly controlled usage stipulation) to other bonneville car owners (I have received a couple of requests from other car owners) on a request by request basis.
The initial embargo applies to everyone except the owner/builders of the specific cars involved and the SCTA technical staff.

I first got into photography of the bonneville cars (although I have been doing photography for almost 50 years) to do my homework to in the future possibly build a car myself.
As a result my primary focus has always been physical systems and operations of the cars and driver safety rather than "artsy" photos or the cars.
I do take beauty shots now when the opportunity shows itself, but I also take lots and lots of documentary shots of the cars on the course and in the pits to document construction details and what the cars are doing at speed.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #514 on: August 15, 2013, 01:51:13 PM »
Thanks for clarifying hotrod. Good luck with your photos.  8-)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #515 on: August 15, 2013, 02:00:31 PM »
After a bit of a delay, I finally have a few more photos to post.

The Dalton-Jackson-Mayer liner,

"Fast Freddy" on course 1 (shot from course 2),

The Four Aces/Dave Frost Triumph 500,

And a bike that I have no info on.

Offline Tom Liberatore

« Reply #516 on: August 15, 2013, 02:05:12 PM »
A BIG thanks from all of us that can't be there, Ray, Ron, Harold,and The SCTA are doing a fantastic job of filling us all in on the goings on at Speedweek. Anyone that doesn't think so might try to remember how spotty coverage was just a few years ago, we are very grateful for what you have been able to accomplish. Also thanks to everyone that figured out how to do this, SSS, Chris, and the rest, in spite of the grumbles that you may hear, most of us are really digging it!  Tom - Pepperoni Bros.  See you at WOS! :cheers:
Pepperoni Bros.- XF/VOT

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #517 on: August 15, 2013, 02:13:58 PM »
Sorry off subject but just want to say hi to ZZCRUZIN Mark, your just a youn'ng I'm 74 yrs old, I see you live in Reseda, I live in Canyon Country, give me a phone call and stop my and see my Bonneville Avanti, take care, Dave Bloomberg (661) 251-6969

PS, my car is race ready for D/CBGC and is SCTA legal for 2013, 800hp turbo engine car for sale $45K top speed so far 216mph.
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #518 on: August 15, 2013, 02:17:37 PM »
A few more:

The Black Creek Racing 1953 Ford pickup,

A fixed-wing, low-altitude flyover ('m still keepin an eye open for the drones and black helicopters),

The Bean Bandits flathead lakester and

the B.M.C. Racing street roadster.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #519 on: August 15, 2013, 02:48:25 PM »
GO FREDDY GO
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #520 on: August 15, 2013, 02:56:43 PM »
I would be interested in how Stainless got his black eye.
 When I tipped our modified sports over at El Mirage I got mine from my helmet cheek pads pushing the lens out of my glasses.
 As I kept turning over and bouncing along the lens beat the heck out of my face.
I now wear a much smaller pair of glasses under my helmet.
I just wonder if the same thing happened to him.
Doug Odom in Big Ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #521 on: August 15, 2013, 02:57:45 PM »
Sorry off subject but just want to say hi to ZZCRUZIN Mark, your just a youn'ng I'm 74 yrs old, I see you live in Reseda, I live in Canyon Country, give me a phone call and stop my and see my Bonneville Avanti, take care, Dave Bloomberg (661) 251-6969

PS, my car is race ready for D/CBGC and is SCTA legal for 2013, 800hp turbo engine car for sale $45K top speed so far 216mph.

Hey Dave. I will give you a call a little later this evening. Mark.

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #522 on: August 15, 2013, 03:04:19 PM »
Ray:

The drones are the size of flys now. You won't notice them. The fixed wings are just a distraction to get you to look up while the missile arrives at your back. Don't worry the government will keep you safe as long as you don't bother it. No I am not paranoid....but who's asking?

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline CTRon

« Reply #523 on: August 15, 2013, 03:29:38 PM »
Is fast freddys liner a new car? Or is it his old lakester converted to a liner?
maxton 2 club member 205.188mph  A/BFR
loring 2 club member 219.807mph  A/BFR
Wilmington 2 club member 202.702 A/BFR
bonneville 2 club member 225.003 XXF/BGRMR

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #524 on: August 15, 2013, 03:32:56 PM »
Bill: Even paranoids have enemies...ya gotta keep the tinfoil in yer hat fresh.

CTRon: From what I gathered in talking to him, it's a new car...but he wasn't really specific on that...and my memory sux.  (Not enough tinfoil.)