Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494373 times)

Offline Papi

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #480 on: August 14, 2013, 10:12:03 PM »
Ray- It was great to see you on our way to the line.
Thank you for everything you do and your dedication. Best, -Papi
 :cheers:
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Luckyontheducky

« Reply #481 on: August 14, 2013, 10:54:19 PM »
A quick Stainless update.

Just talked to him.  He's doing well at the hotel in Wendover.  Plans to head back to Wichita in the morning with the remains of the race car in tow.  Our plans haven't changed.  I'll be towing the boxcar on the flatbed trailer, and he'll be towing my streamliner with his dually to attend the WOS.  After that we'll be staying over and I'll be running my Vincent streamliner at the Mike Cook Shootout.  They cut Stainless' fire suit off, so he'll be needing a fire suit as he plans to pilot the boxcar.  He sounded in good spirits.  Mentioned he had a black eye, and is a bit sore.  

Max  

Max,  Did he say why did he needed 9 staples on the very top of his head? (A friend of ours forwarded me the pic).  Did his helmet split or did he crash the gurney as well?   :-D

Good luck with the Vincent, wish I could be there!

Todd
Savannah, Ga

Offline robfstr

• New folks
« Reply #482 on: August 14, 2013, 11:19:47 PM »
Ray do you know if the turbinator II is in line to make a pass today.

For Turbinator II progress go to Team Vesco web site, scroll to bottom of page and click on Twitter.

Offline sabat

« Reply #483 on: August 14, 2013, 11:23:38 PM »

Just talked to him.  He's doing well at the hotel in Wendover.  Plans to head back to Wichita in the morning with the remains of the race car in tow.  Our plans haven't changed.  I'll be towing the boxcar on the flatbed trailer, and he'll be towing my streamliner with his dually to attend the WOS.  After that we'll be staying over and I'll be running my Vincent streamliner at the Mike Cook Shootout.  They cut Stainless' fire suit off, so he'll be needing a fire suit as he plans to pilot the boxcar.  He sounded in good spirits.  Mentioned he had a black eye, and is a bit sore.  

Max  

Great to hear that Stainless will be piloting again this season.

Best of luck to the whole team  :cheers:

Offline Eddieschopshop

« Reply #484 on: August 14, 2013, 11:54:33 PM »
Had a great SpeedWeek,  (although I did come home earlier than planned due to melted piston).  I was a rookie this year although I have helped a friend in the past.  Got nearly everything I had hoped to do accomplished.  Got licensed up to AA,  set a record albeit lower than my AA license would imply and had a great time.  New car, new driver,  new crew not a bad week.

Wanted to say Thanks to all who put on the event as well as all who helped us have a great week! 

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #485 on: August 15, 2013, 12:14:16 AM »

Just talked to him.  He's doing well at the hotel in Wendover.  Plans to head back to Wichita in the morning with the remains of the race car in tow.  Our plans haven't changed.  I'll be towing the boxcar on the flatbed trailer, and he'll be towing my streamliner with his dually to attend the WOS.  After that we'll be staying over and I'll be running my Vincent streamliner at the Mike Cook Shootout.  They cut Stainless' fire suit off, so he'll be needing a fire suit as he plans to pilot the boxcar.  He sounded in good spirits.  Mentioned he had a black eye, and is a bit sore. 

Max 

Great to hear that Stainless will be piloting again this season.

Best of luck to the whole team  :cheers:

I just got back from the 2 Club Award dinner.  Stainless was there, and while he's got one hell of a shiner and is sore all over, he's with us.  Thank God.

To everyone who has has had kind words and made contributions, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  (No, I haven't been drinking...LOL!)  I'm just very grateful to you all.

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #486 on: August 15, 2013, 12:38:50 AM »
Had a great SpeedWeek,  (although I did come home earlier than planned due to melted piston).  I was a rookie this year although I have helped a friend in the past.  Got nearly everything I had hoped to do accomplished.  Got licensed up to AA,  set a record albeit lower than my AA license would imply and had a great time.  New car, new driver,  new crew not a bad week.

Wanted to say Thanks to all who put on the event as well as all who helped us have a great week! 

Congrats... what class record did you knock off ?

nice on the AA license  8-)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #487 on: August 15, 2013, 12:53:41 AM »
Hi Justin.  It is good to see you back on the forum.

Any useful info for us BUB guys and gals would be helpful with respect to the course.  Does it appear to be a problem in a few localized areas or is the salt somehow different this year?

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #488 on: August 15, 2013, 01:40:03 AM »
(edit. . . )
 i have one question when you are at the salt watching the racing are you allowed to watch the cars from any where on the course IE if you want to sit in your car down course say at the 2,3 or 4 mile and see the cars at speed is that ok.
No. Spectators can go no farther than the limit line at the end of the pits. After that the only people out in "no mans land" must have either a driver or crew arm band. Usually the pits are so long the limit line is about the 3 mile or a little less. Further, for your vehicle to go past the limit line it must have a Pit Sticker displayed in the windshield. The DMZ is patrolled and they look for that stuff. Now after all that being said . . . it all depends. Saturday and Sunday is a festering cluster of humanity and the DMZ is carefully watched. By Monday the event starts to thin out and by Tuesday all volunteers are getting tired. About that time it gets kind of "looser" out there and by Thursday there are so few people around nobody cares. All that is for the long course next to the pits. The other courses have less traffic (or people) and seem to have less patrol. However, with less people you also stand out easier. The best way is to volunteer and help somebody and buy your pit credentials.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 01:44:51 AM by Saltfever »

Offline Speed Limit 1000

« Reply #489 on: August 15, 2013, 02:13:43 AM »
Stainless wanted to make the 2 club dinner so we all could thank Pork Pie for making the Bockscar crew proud of the job he did driving the car last year. The first open wheel car to go over 200 mph with only 60ci on gas. He did a great job. :cheers:
John Gowetski, red hat @ 221.183 MPH MSA Lakester, Bockscar #1000 60 ci normally aspirated w/N20

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #490 on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:18 AM »

I just found this on SCTA Results

3419B    250CC     M-BG       Scott Guthrie Racing    206.125    212.339    220.295    210.383    214.368    220.295

Is this right :? :?

Pete

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no - that's not right.

I saw a pic of John Levie on a SGR turbo Busa at one point, perhaps the paperwork got mixed up.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologize and eat my helmet.

Dean

If a 2,000cc Blown Hayabusa is only running 220mph unfaired they better turn it up!  Get after it Scott and team.

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #491 on: August 15, 2013, 09:22:48 AM »
Good morning racers and crews, good luck out there on the salt, lets hope the courses hold speed better! any word on car #111 Vesco Turbinator streamliner, will it make a pass today, and what year was the last time it raced on the salt, thanks Dave  :cheers:
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #492 on: August 15, 2013, 10:01:17 AM »
Good morning racers and crews, good luck out there on the salt, lets hope the courses hold speed better! any word on car #111 Vesco Turbinator streamliner, will it make a pass today, and what year was the last time it raced on the salt, thanks Dave  :cheers:

I bleeve that the last time it ran was 2001.  I could be off a little on that, but it's close. 

From their latest Tweet, they say that they fired the motor yesterday and are evaluating the data.  If that's good, they'll give it a run.

More info here: http://www.teamvesco.com/vesco111.html

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #493 on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:42 AM »
Thanks Ray for that update and all that you do for us racers stuck at home, wish I was there and everyone have a safe trip home, and to all the volunteers thank you for putting the best race on planet earth.
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Avanti Kid

« Reply #494 on: August 15, 2013, 11:29:21 AM »
Speed Demon getting ready to go on course no!, heads up
Canyon Country, CA