Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494383 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #465 on: August 14, 2013, 06:18:53 PM »
Ray, the jet coulda been the BLM on patrol. Drones are next. Watch yer backside.........

LOL!  Thanks for the tip. 

Some more info on the 1238 Richmond and Stark liner.  It's 4wd, but not coupled.  Additionally, the throttles are not split...so ya got split drive lines, but a common throttle. 

When they made their last pass, the rear engine was spewing raw fuel out the exhaust and the rear wheel wells filled with salt.  They just towed back to the pits for further work.

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #466 on: August 14, 2013, 06:26:12 PM »
Thanks for all the really nice photos, Ray. Good job on reporting the activities, too.

Did anyone take a picture of the car that Stainless was driving after it crashed? I'm glad that he and JH both came out of their "events" in good shape, considering the severity of the crashes. Looking at pictures of this type of damage gives one an idea of the magnitude and vectors of the forces involved in high-speed crashes.

Regards, Neil  back home in Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #467 on: August 14, 2013, 06:28:31 PM »
Just in:  Course 1 will be closed at 5pm today for "maintenance"; course 3 will close down at the end of the day, any qualifiers on that course will make record returns on course 2.

Tomorrow will be the last full day of racing (duh...I'd lost track) and qualifying for a next-day record return.

Offline RZ350

« Reply #468 on: August 14, 2013, 07:28:15 PM »
Thank you so much to Ray, Slim and all the others for the pics and updates!!!!! You all rule!!!!!!
 :cheers:

Thank you all.  I'm gonna make a blatant plea for donations direct to my primary website: http://www.chevyasylum.com/Welcome.html since I seem to be the only one posting ANYTHING from the salt.  I'll be back in the morning and we'll find out what's happened to whom and who does what.  I've gotta show up at Salt Talks for a while, but I'll post photos from impound and a coupla speed shots later this evening.

Sent ya some $$$, I wish I could be on the salt to hand it to you in person, but too much other way less fun stuff going on!!!!! ;)

Keep up the good work!!
238 MPH at Bonneville

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #469 on: August 14, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
Sumner and Hooley, announcer said it was a charger type looking car.  haha.   B license 2 1/4-188, 3-186

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #470 on: August 14, 2013, 08:53:17 PM »
 Ray, you are doing a great job and I will be sending you a donation tomorrow.
  One more note and not trying to be critical, but the 911 roadster ran 295 on a five mile pass Sun or Mon.
  They are running a C motor (373 c.i. max vs 500 c.i. max) to do it (a trick learned from the BRM/Fogie driven roadster).
  Believe me, anyone who is running back and forth on the Salt with no shade all day, every day is a Hero in my book, and you are a HERO RAY !!!
Bob Drury

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #471 on: August 14, 2013, 08:58:22 PM »
Are they done for the day. there is no more audio comming from the stream. did the turbinator II ever get to run or not. at one point the guys where talking about the car and then the stream started buffering like it has all day. today was the worst it has been. so i never heard if the car ran or not. i lost count of how many times i had to refresh to get the stream back. hope tomorrow is a better day for streaming. i have one question when you are at the salt watching the racing are you allowed to watch the cars from any where on the course IE if you want to sit in your car down course say at the 2,3 or 4 mile and see the cars at speed is that ok.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline WZ JUNK

« Reply #472 on: August 14, 2013, 09:01:02 PM »
Sumner just got his A license with a run of around 213 mph.  That at least 4 runs today.  The most we have ever had I believe.  Good job guys.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Frankie7799

« Reply #473 on: August 14, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
One regret I had from this weekend was not introducing myself to Ray and Freud at the Salt Talks Saturday. Have to remedy that next year. Thanks ray and freud for all you do.

Offline Saltfever

« Reply #474 on: August 14, 2013, 09:08:13 PM »
Robbie, glad to hear you are OK and that you get the parts needed tomorrow to fix one of the highest record setting race cars on the lakes venues!

I certainly agree with that. They have an incredible record but somehow their achievements are missed by many. 

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #475 on: August 14, 2013, 09:09:06 PM »
Usually spectators can see the cars go by a high speed at the end of the pits,(towards floating Mountain)  that is near the 4 mile point on course 1.
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #476 on: August 14, 2013, 09:12:21 PM »
In deed!

Interesting course conditions...Jon said its predominately smooth and hard not soft and damp...they were 232 middle mile yesterday with 246 last mile, today 246 in middle mile, then crash....

Jon watched video....rolled at least 16 times...stainless seemed to think he stayed conscious throughout...cage intact, car completely totalled....many more details... ill hold back on for Jon and others to add as they see fit

Mike

A quick Stainless update.

Just talked to him.  He's doing well at the hotel in Wendover.  Plans to head back to Wichita in the morning with the remains of the race car in tow.  Our plans haven't changed.  I'll be towing the boxcar on the flatbed trailer, and he'll be towing my streamliner with his dually to attend the WOS.  After that we'll be staying over and I'll be running my Vincent streamliner at the Mike Cook Shootout.  They cut Stainless' fire suit off, so he'll be needing a fire suit as he plans to pilot the boxcar.  He sounded in good spirits.  Mentioned he had a black eye, and is a bit sore.  

Max  

gkabbt

« Reply #477 on: August 14, 2013, 09:16:20 PM »
One regret I had from this weekend was not introducing myself to Ray and Freud at the Salt Talks Saturday. Have to remedy that next year. Thanks ray and freud for all you do.

Frankie, come to WoS in a few weeks and you can probably meet both of them.....and me as well!!!!
Ray should be there doing the wonderful job he does and Triet's liner should be there as well with (I hope) the good Dr. Freud.
Also, Jon (SSS) I think is planning a Salt Talks II so there will be more folks for you to meet! My offer is still open to him to help with the setup.

Gregg

gkabbt

« Reply #478 on: August 14, 2013, 09:19:54 PM »
Max,
Many thanks for the update on Stainless. I look forward to meeting you guys at the WoS.  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline Calkins

• On Any Sunday
    • Facebook
« Reply #479 on: August 14, 2013, 09:46:47 PM »
I have been laying low on here the past few years.  This year, I had the chance to join a group of older gentlemen from Iowa, and I was able to finally visit the salt for the first time.  After probably seven years of trash talking and mind picking back and forth with Chris Gilinsky, I finally got the meet the beast known as Jonny Hotnuts Saturday morning.  I am so very glad that he was able to jump up (probably flip the bird) and brush himself off after such a horrible crash.  I was on the front row at about the 2.5, and seen it all.  It scared the shit out of me.  I also witnesses the Hammond spin.  Can that lady drive, or what?  Great job!!

I hope everyone had as much fun as I had.  For those still out there, be safe all, and go fast!!
Justin Calkins - Iowa Falls, Iowa  USA