Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494239 times)

Offline sabat

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #450 on: August 14, 2013, 04:40:29 PM »

I just found this on SCTA Results

3419B    250CC     M-BG       Scott Guthrie Racing    206.125    212.339    220.295    210.383    214.368    220.295

Is this right :? :?

Pete

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no - that's not right.

I saw a pic of John Levie on a SGR turbo Busa at one point, perhaps the paperwork got mixed up.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologize and eat my helmet.

Dean

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #451 on: August 14, 2013, 04:54:49 PM »
Dean, I don't think ya need to get quite that drastic...I found bikes 3411 and 3412 pre-entered for Scott Guthrie Racing, but that's all that's in the program. 

Anyway, as I stepped outta my Burb to get a shot of the Speed Demon, I was assaulted by an aircraft doing a low level fly-over...I wasn't quite ready for it.

However, I waited and waited and visited with Bonneville Bill while the Demon sat at the starting line for quite a while.

While that was going on, several other cars made runs, including the #235 Le Levant I/GLakester and

The #1936 "Bonneville Bob" AA/GRMRoadster. 

A little more in the next post.

Offline Plmkrze

• Oh Yea
« Reply #452 on: August 14, 2013, 05:05:31 PM »
Thanks for posting the pic of 158 Iron Dinasour!!!!!!!!!!! :-)

If you see Don Gilmore tell him PLM KRZE Paul said to GO FAST, BE SAFE and HAVE FUN!!!!!
"Trim it, whittle it, make it work."

East Coast Cherry Pickers Association (ECCPA) and proud of it!

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #453 on: August 14, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »

I just found this on SCTA Results

3419B    250CC     M-BG       Scott Guthrie Racing    206.125    212.339    220.295    210.383    214.368    220.295

Is this right :? :?

Pete

I'm going to go out on a limb and say no - that's not right.

I saw a pic of John Levie on a SGR turbo Busa at one point, perhaps the paperwork got mixed up.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologize and eat my helmet.

Dean

If it is correct then I just found my new way to go 200  :cheers: :cheers:

Pete
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline Kix

• 1997 GMC Saltnoma
« Reply #454 on: August 14, 2013, 05:10:11 PM »
In regards to the SCTA web site live audio broadcast I have coupe of comments, one Ron who has been doing the radio announcing does an excellent job for many years and knows our race cars and drivers, but the new guy Harold just does not have that background and says some to the silliest things on the air about BLM and other things, today I heard him say that on Wed. night the Bonneville 200 MPH club is having a banquet and all racers and spectators are welcome, just go to the Bonneville 200 MPH club booth and buy the tickets for $35 each, well if that true its news to me, I'm a member of the 200 MPH club and in the past if you wanted to attend the banquet a 200 MPH member would have to sponsor you and buy the tickets for you to attend and the banquet has limited setting too, so this news to me check out before Wed. Night , thanks for your time, Dave  :cheers:  PS, can we get Glen back to do the announcing!!!!!

I hate to say it, but the broadcast has really been a disappointment....  and I was on the salt... so I can't imagine how it was listening on the internet.  They are getting better as the week goes on... and I'm all about continuous improvement... so I'll offer to donate one of my rule books so the new guy can learn to decipher the class designations and such.  Maybe Ray could put together a pictorial representation of cars from each of the classes so he knows what he is talking about when he sees it?

I would suggest you stick more to the facts, like Glenn did... it worked for many years.  A little color is nice, but there were countless times when we waited for hours to see a certain car... and the announcers didn't even know it ever went down the track because they were waxing nostalgic about something nobody cared about.  I would also suggest that we aren't all able to decipher who car "444 something" is.... but we would all know what you were talking about if you told us that Jimmy Barton just went around at 260mph in Wayne Jesel's truck.

Also, maybe the new guy can keep the giggles, and tounge-in-cheek slurs to yourself...  I don't personally have any less respect for a guy that builds a vintage engined motorcycle and races it for five years to reach 70mph, than I do for George Poteet.  Maybe more, because that guy probably doesn't have millions of dollars to pay a full time crew like Goerge.  And unless you have worked your arse off every night after work, passed on weekend fun and vacations, worn out your friends and family... and finally got that record you've been chasing... you have no idea what its like, and no right to opine on anyone's efforts on the salt.  If you want respect, show some.

Just my $.02

Kix
MODIFIED MID-PICKUP #4442

Bonneville Record:     219.35 mph
Maxton Mile Record:   193.14 mph
Ohio Mile Record:       192.80 mph

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #455 on: August 14, 2013, 05:15:46 PM »
Continuing the Speed Demon story, it was first pushed back from the starting line and eventually taken back to the pits.

But the #911 roadster came up next and had a hard time getting it started...but eventually did, but running at about 280 (don't trust my memory) at the 4.  We were wondering why he hadn't gone to the 5, and then we remembered that the car only has enough fuel to run to the 4.  Mystery solved.  Sounded as good as ever.

I just heard that they're gonna be makin another run shortly.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #456 on: August 14, 2013, 05:20:23 PM »
Maybe Ray could put together a pictorial representation of cars from each of the classes so he knows what he is talking about when he sees it?

It's already in the program.  If that doesn't help...well, my photos won't, either.

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #457 on: August 14, 2013, 05:23:39 PM »
Ray do you know if the turbinator II is in line to make a pass today.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline Tman

« Reply #458 on: August 14, 2013, 05:25:16 PM »
In regards to the SCTA web site live audio broadcast I have coupe of comments, one Ron who has been doing the radio announcing does an excellent job for many years and knows our race cars and drivers, but the new guy Harold just does not have that background and says some to the silliest things on the air about BLM and other things, today I heard him say that on Wed. night the Bonneville 200 MPH club is having a banquet and all racers and spectators are welcome, just go to the Bonneville 200 MPH club booth and buy the tickets for $35 each, well if that true its news to me, I'm a member of the 200 MPH club and in the past if you wanted to attend the banquet a 200 MPH member would have to sponsor you and buy the tickets for you to attend and the banquet has limited setting too, so this news to me check out before Wed. Night , thanks for your time, Dave  :cheers:  PS, can we get Glen back to do the announcing!!!!!

I hate to say it, but the broadcast has really been a disappointment....  and I was on the salt... so I can't imagine how it was listening on the internet.  They are getting better as the week goes on... and I'm all about continuous improvement... so I'll offer to donate one of my rule books so the new guy can learn to decipher the class designations and such.  Maybe Ray could put together a pictorial representation of cars from each of the classes so he knows what he is talking about when he sees it?

I would suggest you stick more to the facts, like Glenn did... it worked for many years.  A little color is nice, but there were countless times when we waited for hours to see a certain car... and the announcers didn't even know it ever went down the track because they were waxing nostalgic about something nobody cared about.  I would also suggest that we aren't all able to decipher who car "444 something" is.... but we would all know what you were talking about if you told us that Jimmy Barton just went around at 260mph in Wayne Jesel's truck.

Also, maybe the new guy can keep the giggles, and tounge-in-cheek slurs to yourself...  I don't personally have any less respect for a guy that builds a vintage engined motorcycle and races it for five years to reach 70mph, than I do for George Poteet.  Maybe more, because that guy probably doesn't have millions of dollars to pay a full time crew like Goerge.  And unless you have worked your arse off every night after work, passed on weekend fun and vacations, worn out your friends and family... and finally got that record you've been chasing... you have no idea what its like, and no right to opine on anyone's efforts on the salt.  If you want respect, show some.

Just my $.02

Kix

Agree 100%. We had so much trouble with the FM on the salt we turned it down and kept the CB up. When I got home I tried to get it to stream and would get 30 seconds then it would drop. Guess I am lucky, when I lost the signal I didn't have to listen to the inaccurate drivel. Find new announcers!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #459 on: August 14, 2013, 05:25:26 PM »
Some news about the 3838 Corvette.  They've sustained some drivetrain damage which results from (quoting Rob Freyvogel) "too much horsepower."  It's still drivable for some licensing passes, but not for competition.

Offline Tman

« Reply #460 on: August 14, 2013, 05:26:38 PM »
Some news about the 3838 Corvette.  They've sustained some drivetrain damage which results from (quoting Rob Freyvogel) "too much horsepower."  It's still drivable for some licensing passes, but not for competition.

Tough problem! Sorry to hear their efforts are done.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #461 on: August 14, 2013, 05:34:32 PM »
Ray do you know if the turbinator II is in line to make a pass today.

I haven't seen it.  I'm near the course 1 starting line, but there are only a coupla cars there and only a few more for course 2.

Offline Freud

« Reply #462 on: August 14, 2013, 05:46:11 PM »
Public sale of 2 Club Banquet tickets is in fact TRUE.

I still owe them $1.00.

I am unsponsored and attending.

I gotta hear Pork Pie's story.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Tman

« Reply #463 on: August 14, 2013, 05:48:03 PM »
Public sale of 2 Club Banquet tickets is in fact TRUE.

I still owe them $1.00.

I am unsponsored and attending.

I gotta hear Pork Pie's story.

FREUD

Had a whirlwind trip but was happy to once again shake your hand! 8-)

Offline AJR192

« Reply #464 on: August 14, 2013, 05:58:54 PM »
Ray, the jet coulda been the BLM on patrol. Drones are next. Watch yer backside.........