Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494255 times)

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #435 on: August 14, 2013, 02:48:32 PM »
In deed!

Interesting course conditions...Jon said its predominately smooth and hard not soft and damp...they were 232 middle mile yesterday with 246 last mile, today 246 in middle mile, then crash....

Jon watched video....rolled at least 16 times...stainless seemed to think he stayed conscious throughout...cage intact, car completely totalled....many more details... ill hold back on for Jon and others to add as they see fit

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #436 on: August 14, 2013, 02:48:54 PM »
OK now the fog is clearing. The crash photos are of Hotnuts car and now i am not sure if the Amo-Steele streamliner also crashed. I am thinking now that it did not. Is that correct? Thank you Ray for the great coverage and stories. You make the pain of not being there a little less intense. Hope I didn't accidently start a rumor that the streamliner crashed. :oops:
Dan

Reported as one of the worse crashes ever seen.  Car is demolished.

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #437 on: August 14, 2013, 02:50:36 PM »
Got salt lakester, 2 1/4-279 3-287 chute is out. :cheers:  Needed a bit more, but could have been a test run. :-P

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #438 on: August 14, 2013, 02:51:34 PM »
OK now the fog is clearing. The crash photos are of Hotnuts car and now i am not sure if the Amo-Steele streamliner also crashed. I am thinking now that it did not. Is that correct? Thank you Ray for the great coverage and stories. You make the pain of not being there a little less intense. Hope I didn't accidently start a rumor that the streamliner crashed. :oops:
Dan

I don't believe that any images of the crash or the car have been posted?

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #439 on: August 14, 2013, 03:01:30 PM »
While waiting for the streamliner, here were a few other cars that ran:

I think the 426 car still belongs to Willy Boelke, but I can't find it in the program.

Chuck Waldbrige's 393 B/CBFALT coupe.

The Iron Donosaur Racing C/BFL.

The photo doesn't do justice to the metallic green paint on this Corvette entered by Valkyrie Motorsports.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #440 on: August 14, 2013, 03:06:20 PM »
Dan

I don't believe that any images of the crash or the car have been posted?

Not on here.  The images of Jonny Hotnuts car came from his Facebook page.  Several photographers have photos of the Amo-Steele crash, but they're refraining from posting them out of courtesy to the team.

Offline doug

« Reply #441 on: August 14, 2013, 03:11:35 PM »
They qualfied for the record yesterday. Did they back it up this morning?
3838 A BGMS Vinson / Allison Gang 217.424 234.329 266.787 276.629 278.521 276.629

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #442 on: August 14, 2013, 03:15:34 PM »
wow that is pretty!  Twin engines?

Yes.  2 386" Chevy Smallblocks.  Since it was the virgin run, Lee Kennedy paced it as they pushed off.  After both engines were making a little power, they shut it down; I figger that's as planned.

And there's always one photographer who selfishly spoils things for everybody else.

There will be until officials put ropes and designated areas for crew, spectators and photographers. Most organizations do that but it may take someone getting hurt before they take better control.

There was such an area on course 1 for the first couple of days.  It didn't really help.  The officials need to have someone other than the starters responsible for "crowd control."

Great new Streamliner, 4 wheel drive? Are motors physically joined or independent like MT's Autolite car and Noel Black's?

I don't know the particulars on the car, although it IS 4wd.  I saw if for the first time today.  I'd think that having the motors/drivetrains coupled like the Target 550 liner is a better way to go as opposed to having 'em independent.  But there aren't any hard and fast rules, and others may have a different opinion.  For example, when I saw the position of the motor in the Amo-Steele liner (tail-hanger), I was very surprised....but Stainless told me that it "looked good on paper."  Take that for what it's worth.  I'm gonna suspend judgement until I know more about the cause of the crash.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #443 on: August 14, 2013, 03:17:16 PM »
They qualfied for the record yesterday. Did they back it up this morning?
3838 A BGMS Vinson / Allison Gang 217.424 234.329 266.787 276.629 278.521 276.629

Refer to post 414: "the 3838 A/BGMS Corvette built (and so far) driven by Rob Freyvogel.  They changed the engine tune for this morning's run and apparently went the wrong way, cuz they fired off a lotta shots at ducks and other fowl, but came up short on their record return.  Back to square one."

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #444 on: August 14, 2013, 03:20:44 PM »
Amo-Steele facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/amosteele.racing

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #445 on: August 14, 2013, 03:44:29 PM »
The Dalton, Jackson & Mayer A/BFStreamliner just ran, going after Al Teague's record of 409.998 and went out the back door at 340.  Still got a way to go.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #446 on: August 14, 2013, 04:12:20 PM »
  Ray, in ref to your post #442, The Treit & Davenport streamliner is built to run both motors coupled  or both motors separate and with either RWD, FWD only, or 4WD.
  This is possible because the rear motor is coupled to the rear end after passing thru a B&J 4spd transmission and belt drive gearbox which can/does transfer power to the "idler"  power shaft that runs 25 feat +or- to a similar belt gear box that centers back up to the front differential.
  The front motor faces forward (as does the rear motor) and sends power through its B&J 4spd trans to a third belt drive gearbox and ties into the power shaft.
  The different configurations are accomplished by adding or removing gilmer (blower) belts and/or removing the rear drive shaft.
  Incidently, Les Davenport built a throttle pedal which can feather either engine independently from the other simply by the driver rotating his ankle applying more foot pressure to either side of the pedal.  It, like the rest of the car is amazing.            Bob
Bob Drury

Offline SaltPeter

• Can't you just be Serious for once in your Life!
« Reply #447 on: August 14, 2013, 04:21:48 PM »

I just found this on SCTA Results

3419B    250CC     M-BG       Scott Guthrie Racing    206.125    212.339    220.295    210.383    214.368    220.295

Is this right :? :?

Pete
The Mission is to go as fast as possible along on that old Road Less Traveled.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #448 on: August 14, 2013, 04:37:24 PM »
  Ray, in ref to your post #442, The Treit & Davenport streamliner is built to run both motors coupled  or both motors separate and with either RWD, FWD only, or 4WD.
  This is possible because the rear motor is coupled to the rear end after passing thru a B&J 4spd transmission and belt drive gearbox which can/does transfer power to the "idler"  power shaft that runs 25 feat +or- to a similar belt gear box that centers back up to the front differential.
  The front motor faces forward (as does the rear motor) and sends power through its B&J 4spd trans to a third belt drive gearbox and ties into the power shaft.
  The different configurations are accomplished by adding or removing gilmer (blower) belts and/or removing the rear drive shaft.
  Incidently, Les Davenport built a throttle pedal which can feather either engine independently from the other simply by the driver rotating his ankle applying more foot pressure to either side of the pedal.  It, like the rest of the car is amazing.            Bob

Yes, you're absolutely right...but the only configuration that I'm aware of having been tested is the coupled one.  Personally, I'd prefer driving a coupled configuration...but I know Les has a lot more experience than I do.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #449 on: August 14, 2013, 04:39:34 PM »
Dang, I need to talk to these blown 2 stroke guys about oil pump for turbo!!!!!  Anyone know them?

Jim, I just ran into 'em and told 'em what you're asking for.  They told me they'd send ya a PM.  So yer covered.