Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494386 times)

Offline zzcruzin

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #405 on: August 13, 2013, 09:40:29 PM »
Thanks for your reports Ray. Now,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,go get some rest. Mark. :cheers:

Offline Cyclone

• New folks
« Reply #406 on: August 13, 2013, 11:12:35 PM »
Big thanks to all for the updates and pictures.

Offline jl222

« Reply #407 on: August 14, 2013, 01:13:00 AM »
Bret Kepner, long course timing slips, actually it's course 1 and course 2 timing slips, have had 26 spins.

It is weird.  

Course #1, our traditional  "long course" has a long time between runs. Many fast cars have gone to course 2 to run.

Now anyone seems to run on course #1 that wants to.  In the past the only cars that ran on the long course had to run

over 175 in the quarter mile lights. That isn't the case now. Maybe they can only go to the 3.

It's just strange.

Besides, its pretty mnad hot.

FREUD

It always amazes me that I never see competitors at he end of the day [bville or El Mirage] checking out the course, or SCTA/BNI officials during the day, maybe they do, but have never noticed a hold up for course check.

Bvilleracer and I check at end of day when we have a chance and still light.

Had problems hooking up last year, and course had long grooves and higher areas running with course which
meant tire contack patch was not making full contack. Wonder if it's like that this year.

Also it was reported last year that the salt was the best in years, but for us and others it wasn't because course sure as hell was not grated smooth. I'M sure BNI is grading the best they can for the conditions and equipment
they have. I do have an idea for grading smooth a hard surface but not sure how fast or even if it would work but a test machine on a small scale could be tried.

Sounds like course was hard for awhile but still lots of spins. Maybe its to hard or lacking the potash is causing the problems.

Wish I was there to see myself and take pics and videos.

Anyhow BNI needs to make a through investigation on why all the spins and crashes.

JL222

Offline Freud

« Reply #408 on: August 14, 2013, 01:19:08 AM »
Seth  Hammond said that the reason their lakester spin was because of a trench in the course.

The tire tracks came right out of the trenched part of the course.

Everyone thought that we had great salt but it doesn't appear that that is the situation.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 8pack

Redline is a Goal. Not a limit.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #410 on: August 14, 2013, 03:20:29 AM »
... four hundred and twenty four freakin miles per hour
If that's still with the 'D' engine- WOW!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #411 on: August 14, 2013, 09:12:31 AM »

[/quote]

.......or lacking the potash is causing the problems.......

[/quote]

An interesting point, one I have wondered about more than once over the years.  A cake doesn't bake with the same results when you change the ingredient mix....

Ed

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #412 on: August 14, 2013, 09:33:13 AM »
Hey Freud...Wave so we can see you..................
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #413 on: August 14, 2013, 10:20:24 AM »
Good Morning,

Just want to pass on a little info. that I read over on Bangshift regarding the big hitter streamliners that are on the salt this year. It appears that Nish is done, as they burnt some pistons and are said to be questionable for Cook's Shootout. What a bummer, these guys need a break.

Not sure what's going on with Speed Demon, other then they've gone through a lot of parts. It wasn't said if and/or when they will run again.

Sounds like things are looking good for the Dalton, Jackson, and Meyer Flashpoint Streamliner, as they are performing routine maintenance and changing gears ratios to go for a 400+mph number. They ran a very respectable 382mph yesterday and say it was a bit soft, so they're going to throw a bit more at it.

Bangshift also mentions that the Turbinator has been working feverishly to get everything buttoned up and hope to turn a wheel on the salt today.

Thanks to Ray for all of your photo's and updates and thanks Jon Amo and others for there updates as well. This sucks being at home, but you guys and your hard work make sitting here at the desk the next best thing to being out on the salt. :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 11:22:02 AM by Tom Slick »

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #414 on: August 14, 2013, 10:33:26 AM »
Thanks for the streamliner info, Tom.  Real bummer about Nish.  I hope they can make it to the Shootout.

I've been following one team this morning, the 3838 A/BGMS Corvette built (and so far) driven by Rob Freyvogel.  They changed the engine tune for this morning's run and apparently went the wrong way, cuz they fired off a lotta shots at ducks and other fowl, but came up short on their record return.  Back to square one.

Coupla photos:

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2013, 11:25:39 AM »
Some photos from Record Returns:

Stoney Fritz's twin 1670 Yamaha stretch bike.

I don't know anything about this H/PS car.

Another UFO: a 250 cc Yamaha.

Last photo is another unknown Honda 175.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2013, 11:45:06 AM »
The last of the Course 2 starting line photos:

An unidentified 1350 class Harley.

Shug Hanchard's So What Speed Shop C/American Iron Roadster.

Finally, the rider of the 350 cc bike from Ecole Performance gets some help from his friends in the form of a pushoff.

Offline jl222

« Reply #417 on: August 14, 2013, 11:48:14 AM »
Soft spot?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cjq1fKCAoY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I would call that an extremely loose course.

No wonder so many spins if other courses the same.

Skinny tire conditions :-D

JL222

Offline Rcktscientist

« Reply #418 on: August 14, 2013, 11:56:07 AM »
We are all very happy to see all of the Drivers have emerged from some horrendous incedents without major trauma. I hope BNI will do a thourough investigation of the spins and incidents, where they took place on which track, winds, time of day, etc. to try to find root cause. This is no ones failing, just trying to understand and improve for future meets. Being a builder I am curious to understand specifics of configurations, clearance from helmet to cage, type of padding, type of Hans device, etc. This info helps me continue to improve and build safer cars.

I also will miss seeing the cars that were destroyed. LSR racing has unique vehicles. Each one has taken countless hours and represents the dedication of the designers and builders. The loss of some iconic, in my mind, cars this week changes the landscape and I hope the Owners/Drivers return with new vehicles.

I also am again revisiting Downforce vs. Neutral designs. On a slick track, cars like Poteet's have huge downforce and are extremely stable. If you have the HP... We have seen several low downforce Lakesters spin, that is rare. Maybe we can start another thread for this discussion.

Finally, Way to go Dalton! Let's see the next 400MPH contender!

Offline Flipper_1938

« Reply #419 on: August 14, 2013, 12:05:30 PM »
How did the Flat Cad guys do this morning?  Did they back up yesterday's pass?