Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494375 times)

Offline Avanti Dan

• Going to Bonneville to fill my Bucket List item #4
Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #300 on: August 12, 2013, 09:14:02 PM »
Wow thanks to all of the folks who are making it a little easier on us who for one reason or another were unable to make it this year. The information here is easing the pain.

I have been informed that the three intake manifolds that we are trying to get transported to Georgia or at least to the East of the Mississippi are now sitting in the impound trailer under the protection of Dan Warner and Dan Stokes. I am greatful for Seldom Seen Slims offer but if possible would like to see the manifolds head East after speed week. So if you know anyone who is going to be East bound and might be able to help please have them swing by the impound trailer and see if they have room for them. They are clean and wrapped in plastic wrap and don't take up too much space. Thanks again.
Dan
Bucket List Dreamer

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #301 on: August 12, 2013, 09:28:50 PM »

This is information I was called with so I hope it is untrue however if it is I hope they all will be OK!

Johnny Hotnuts crashed and should be OK..spun and then crashed rolled..car is a total..the cage did it's job. :cheers:

The driver of Derek McLeish's car pulled the chute over over 215 mph and the rear of the car lifted and the car went out of control and crashed..driver is fine from what I heard.

With Ralph's bike and Derek's car both going down they are both leading the SCTA points chase at El Mirage.   :-o

Another thing, I believe Derek's and Johnnys cars are Turbo Hayabusa powered :-o and both are also in the Modified sports class?   Derek has a 1000cc (I class) engine also.

Ralph's injuries are a little more serious than reported however he will be back I am sure, just not at this event.  His bike looks to have just slid and did not tumble/come apart when he went down.  He will return and get that record I am certain.

Get well racers!

J

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #302 on: August 12, 2013, 09:47:06 PM »
yeah, from the pic I saw Jonny's car is totaled. He sounded OK but is headed to SLC for a check up. Keep it safe out there folks. :wink:
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #303 on: August 12, 2013, 09:51:30 PM »
Yeah I just saw his facebook pictures...holy heLL..glad he is OK :cheers:

Offline 1leg

« Reply #304 on: August 12, 2013, 10:24:58 PM »
I'm here and didn't even know someone crashed, To much bench racing i guess. glad to here they are ok.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #305 on: August 12, 2013, 10:36:43 PM »
Thanks for the update, John.  Major bummer about Jonny and the McLeish driver!  Also a bummer to hear about Ralph's injuries.  Hope everyone is back to 100 percent asap.

Now.  I did a lotta speed shots before I had to leave the salt (I wasn't feelin too good, myself, but after lyin down for a coupla hours, I'm fine) so instead of posting a buncha stuff in groups of 4, I opened a Smugmug account and uploaded 'em there.  So I'm gonna put the links in this post and call it done.

Here we go:

Gordon Dreidger's flathead-powered Stude:

Bud Free's Free Spirit Gordini-powered Lakester:

Gordon Leland's C/GR:

Original Fast Guy's C/BGL

McCambridge Brothers' D/FL: (302 Chrysler power)

A turnout for "The Halophile" APS/BF 1350

One of my favorites, the Big Red Camaro:

The Ron Hope's #755 modified roadster goes for a spin on course 2:

Steve "Papi" Chapelle:

That's about it for tonite.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #306 on: August 12, 2013, 10:41:01 PM »
Ray...we need more please........ :cheers:  email me your mailing address and I will send a check...really...please post more and tell us people off the salt what's going on..

Amo, better get your band back together and get us some updates since you know all of the racers...history, records etc..

Glen, get on the mic and kick some azz!

Offline barnsearcher

• New folks
« Reply #307 on: August 12, 2013, 10:54:10 PM »
Glad everyone is going to be ok. I need to get word to Johnny I have his roll on film from about the 3 mile mark. Stopped by the next pit and left contact info but if anyone can tell him I would appreciate it. He can pm me

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #308 on: August 12, 2013, 10:55:08 PM »
Ray...we need more please........ :cheers:  email me your mailing address and I will send a check...really...please post more and tell us people off the salt what's going on..

Amo, better get your band back together and get us some updates since you know all of the racers...history, records etc..

Glen, get on the mic and kick some azz!

Thanks, man.  PM sent.

Offline jl222

« Reply #309 on: August 13, 2013, 12:49:53 AM »
Ray The Rat or anyone else out there. Who is Gary Hart that is racing for time only???

That's not you? :-o Must be a relative of you or linda :-D

JL222 :cheers:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #310 on: August 13, 2013, 01:08:56 AM »
Hotnuts:

Glad to hear that he's ok, but, damn!  DW will never get that tattoo now!   :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #311 on: August 13, 2013, 01:09:23 AM »
... I did it in sepia tones cuz it reminded me of what I might have seen in a magazine in the 50s or 60s...
You have a good "eye"- came out just perfect.
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #312 on: August 13, 2013, 01:50:20 AM »

Turbinator is through Tech, someone asked if 500 mph possible at this event. NOT likely. Basically New car, new driver, new everything and they just got through tech. I would expect some low speed runs and parachute test and systems checks.

George Fields pushing on George Poteet's record of 306 is really having issues getting any power down.
B&J Strasburg spun their lakester over 315 mph, they have packed up and left the salt. This is a 400 mph contender for a lakester, will be giving Freddy's 380+ number a run for their money.
Most everybody knew about Hammonds almost drive through the Red Flame for a buger incedent. Don't quote me here but may have had transmission issues.
Danny Boy Two had the rear end out of the lakester and did not see them on the salt.
Lee Sicillo was looking for a transmission.

Jon
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 03:15:06 AM by JonAmo »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #313 on: August 13, 2013, 01:51:28 AM »
JH, you dodged the bullet this time-- glad to hear you're OK.

Regards, Neil Tucson, AZ   Wendover, UT
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #314 on: August 13, 2013, 01:56:50 AM »
Nish went down looks like ran it up in first gear maybe second and clicked it off. I heard Mike Nish is not driving. Might have been Terry in the seat.

They are moving courses tonight. 1st long course turned into a combo course today. Afternoon winds are up. There are tons of cars that have not left the pit yet due to the bad course conditions, other racers reporting bad courses and the winds.  With amount of spins, low number of 300 mph vehicles (I think only 4-5) so far results are confirmed that courses not as good as one would think.

Although there is more, I just have not made the attempt to find out more.

Chassis Engineering moved in next door to us, I cant wait to see those guy go, one of my favorite vehicles now, they are my hero's.

Ray the Rat is doing the bulk of the pictures and posting to bring info to the audience, and doing one heck of a job people. He literally is running his butt off.

Jon
« Last Edit: August 13, 2013, 01:59:10 AM by JonAmo »