Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494372 times)

Offline joea

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #225 on: August 11, 2013, 10:52:39 PM »
Ray yer the man...!!!

audio is great to have...no...tremendous to have..priceless really, and beggars cant
be choosy...but...Ron C. is iconic...the other gentleman is trying..but not in the same zip
code with respect to covering land speed racing...too much emphasis on "color commentary" since
his knowledge base with lsr is blatantly lacking...it interferes with the flow of the coverage and who actually just ran and what they did.....im hopeful over time that will change...THANKFULLY
powers that be have Ron C. there with him...

I thank SCTA Ron C. and the other fine gentleman for putting in the effort...

thank goodness for Landracing and the tidbits of tech coverage Ray and ....well Ray mostly are providing...!!

Joe

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #226 on: August 11, 2013, 11:11:17 PM »
Here are a coupla shots of a very interesting car (to me, anyway).  It's an Ardun, built by Zora Arkus-Duntov and Sydney Allard either just before or just after WWII.  It has a ton of British parts in it and an Ardun-head flatty.  There's a lot more info on it, but I'll have to work on the images of the info sheets...I'll put 'em on my Chevy Asylum site when I get back home.

Then there are a coupla photos of the Strasburg-Hiltunen lakester.  I don't know how they've done, but I was told that they're happy with the results so far.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #227 on: August 11, 2013, 11:26:18 PM »
Robby Cohn had a little "issue" when he had a flat spin...he found that a Monza's rear hatch doesn't quite work like NASCAR flaps...matter of fact, when the hatch gets lifted by the air whilst going backwards at speed, it seems to fold itself over and breaks the windshield.  Not a good thing and Robby was kinda vocal about the whole deal.  But they're gonna try to get all the bits back together and run it again the end of the meet.

Offline Brickster

« Reply #228 on: August 11, 2013, 11:46:08 PM »
From where I was watching at about the 2 mile mark the Hammond spin looked almost horrific. That car was headed for the pit area and appeared to be sideways on the return road. The thoughts of what would happen if a car went into the pits raced through my head.

Brick
1995 dodge Dakota, C/BMMP

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #229 on: August 11, 2013, 11:57:56 PM »
any sightings or word on Hooleys orange Studebaker ???  #974    AA/BGCC

Just saw Hooley at the Red Garter! The "beast" is here!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #230 on: August 12, 2013, 12:42:15 AM »
Robby Cohn had a little "issue" when he had a flat spin...he found that a Monza's rear hatch doesn't quite work like NASCAR flaps...matter of fact, when the hatch gets lifted by the air whilst going backwards at speed, it seems to fold itself over and breaks the windshield.  Not a good thing and Robby was kinda vocal about the whole deal.  But they're gonna try to get all the bits back together and run it again the end of the meet.

Robbie called me today and said the course was slippery and numerous cars had spun, I hope that the course will get better and drier for tomorrow's runs.

Robbie, glad to hear you are OK and that you get the parts needed tomorrow to fix one of the highest record setting race cars on the lakes venues!

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #231 on: August 12, 2013, 12:50:34 AM »
In regards to the SCTA web site live audio broadcast I have coupe of comments, one Ron who has been doing the radio announcing does an excellent job for many years and knows our race cars and drivers, but the new guy Harold just does not have that background and says some to the silliest things on the air about BLM and other things, today I heard him say that on Wed. night the Bonneville 200 MPH club is having a banquet and all racers and spectators are welcome, just go to the Bonneville 200 MPH club booth and buy the tickets for $35 each, well if that true its news to me, I'm a member of the 200 MPH club and in the past if you wanted to attend the banquet a 200 MPH member would have to sponsor you and buy the tickets for you to attend and the banquet has limited setting too, so this news to me check out before Wed. Night , thanks for your time, Dave  :cheers:  PS, can we get Glen back to do the announcing!!!!!
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #232 on: August 12, 2013, 01:09:04 AM »
.................^..................Like...we want Glen!

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #233 on: August 12, 2013, 03:22:38 AM »
All, it has been a so so event so far.

First off Sat and Sun have been very windy. Tons of complaints about the course #1 being slippery and combined with wind you will have the spins and turnouts. I think I heard 8-10 spins there, that is pretty bad for Saturday for the first day of racing on the course. However, Poteet and Main went 443 exit, now analyze that.
Our personal experience is up to the 3 course was pretty shady, after that smoothed out.

Turbinator is there but needs several little things to finish before tech. Vesco has his hands full running the 444 car and now working on the turbinator at same time. Very busy area.

Skip Hedrick not having the Speedweek he hoped for. Turned away from Tech due to roll cage. The story is and please take with grain of salt. Roll cage did not pass due to tube diameter, although had excess of supporting structure. The only question I have is how did it get past tech the last 10 years? Chrome molly, tig welded, supported like heck with "more than is required structure"

Ralph Hudson was next to us when we left the line and mile 3/4 went down, I heard we was cracking jokes in hospital, going to be ok.

Tegan Hammond spin was definitley a "Viewing area scatter"

We went to course 2 Sunday morning and had a smoother to three course but top end was a bit rough. We managed a 240 exit on a good shakedown pass. 244 is in sight for qualifications.

Runs seem sparingly Sat and Sun mainly due to course conditions, wind, spings, broken parts, accidents and the four courses might just make the event more effiecient. Lines are short. Tonight I do not beleive there were any high speed runs in impound. Kinda validates the above comments.

Plenty of interesting stories out there just have to ask for them.

I hate to say this but everybody tries their best at everything they do, but this announcer is just terrible. Come one, come all, 200 mph club banquet open to anybody. "Just find the guys in the red hats" and you can talk with them. Give this guy a cheat sheet or something, I just don't get it.

Ray is doing a phenomenal job with pictures, but not a one man show, need a dedicated guy out there gathering the STORIES that bring the Speedweek feeling to the viewers, bring the smell of the nitro with words, explain the ground thumping nitro 911 car through the computer (a close alternative the the crowd gathering at edge of pits Al Teague runs), the Strasburgs lakester is a fantastic sight.

Ron Cohn crew has new glass in the rear of Monza. (I thought it was the rear that got blown out, I could be wrong but that was my visual on situation)

Rangers are out in force I have seen several people stopped by them.

Can't say enough for Mike the mayor who opened the store at 11 pm last night for a crew members plane that got a flat tire on the runway on landing after giving plane at the end of the day.

What Kieth Turk and Freiberge back on the salt with the Camaro.....
TO my knowledge fast freddy has not make a pass with new  liner (has small motor for sortin), George fields is stagnent so far. Rex's "Sabb Story" was all over the course. Can determine if wind tunnel info plays out till he gets way more speed in it.  

I really don't know to much been stuck in the pits working on the liner.

Jon
« Last Edit: August 12, 2013, 03:32:13 AM by JonAmo »

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #234 on: August 12, 2013, 05:15:48 AM »
thanks Jon, hope the liner goes well for you guys, I wish I was there so bad!
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Chris V

« Reply #235 on: August 12, 2013, 09:16:01 AM »
Thanks "Ray The Rat"  for all your posting were getting hyped up for up coming BUB event. first time, running a 1972 Yamaha 350 2 stroke for my 75 year old wife Sandy to ride.   Chris Vetter, With team Tracy.
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #236 on: August 12, 2013, 09:25:50 AM »
Yep.  What Jon said!  For those who weren't at the Salt Talks last nite, just about everything he wrote was mentioned by one or more person(s).

The only thing I can add is that Robby Cohn lost both the back glass (blown out) and the windshield (broken when the hatch folded over onto it). 

He's dead nuts on about Skip Hedrich.  Why is the cage/frame now insufficient when it's been just fine for a long time?  It wasn't because of corrosion inside, but diameter, according to what I was told.  There were several more statements made about it, but I'd better leave 'em unreported cuz they were said in anger.

As far as I know, the 2 Club banquet is only for members and guests. 

I also heard that course 1 will be moved (should have been done last nite) but since there weren't too many real high speed qualifiers in impound it shouldn't affect record returns (which I'm not gonna get to, since I'm still in the motel).

Last thing:  Mike Crawford (Wendover mayor and provider of the camping area at the east end of Wendover) should get the "Top Illuminator" award for bringing floodlights to the Salt Talks.

More when I get to the salt.

Offline rlague

« Reply #237 on: August 12, 2013, 09:30:46 AM »
Thanks Jon for the update.  Saab is 2 "A" and one B to be picky......how is Tom Donney doing with the Sonett Saab 2 stroke?

Have fun, wish I was there.  Sam Wheeler is not coming this week......He was trying to make it, but won't.
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline doug

« Reply #238 on: August 12, 2013, 09:56:32 AM »
Record Returns are live right now. I am at my desk all day.  I will try to post what I hear on the broadcast.
572   XXF    GR       FERGUSON RACING    CA
2012 record 187.292
Qualified yesterday at 203.134 and ran 203.650 this morning.

1534   B    STR       HOT ROD HOODLUMS    TX
2012 record 223.623
qualifies yesterday at 226
this morning
1/4 213
3 mile 219.778
4 mile 230.889
5 mile 234.523

Offline rlague

« Reply #239 on: August 12, 2013, 10:03:10 AM »
Is there an updated entry list somewhere on the interweb?  I can't find one one on the SCTA-BNI site is there one posted anywhere?  I can't get the pre-entry list to link up on the SCTA site either.  Any ideas?
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv