Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494233 times)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #180 on: August 11, 2013, 11:27:53 AM »
A bike went down at the 1 3/4 on the short course.  No word on the rider, but everybody's back in position and the course has re-opened.  I'll have to do some checking on who it was...but it doesn't seem to be extremely serious...well, gettin off a bike at what must have been a pretty good clip is serious...

Before I post any photos, I'll mention that George Poteet had the canopy pop open at about the 1 mile.  Yet another return run down the drain.

There's also been a few harsh words between photographers and people WAY too close to the cars as they launch...I'll post photos of that in a bit.  Day 2 is barely started and tempers are already flaring.

Offline bsracer

• New folks
« Reply #181 on: August 11, 2013, 11:30:39 AM »
I had just tuned in on the live timing and heard him go down. It was a friend of mine Ralph Hudson on #3535. Keep us posted. THANX!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #182 on: August 11, 2013, 11:38:52 AM »
I had just tuned in on the live timing and heard him go down. It was a friend of mine Ralph Hudson on #3535. Keep us posted. THANX!

Thank you.  Yeah, that's the name/number I heard.  No word on the outcome yet, but I may run back to the pits to see what I can find out.

Offline jl222

« Reply #183 on: August 11, 2013, 11:53:55 AM »
thanks for the tire report...:)...

in spite of feelings about old discussions..its pertinent to the situation at hand and may facilitate future forays

how about the solid tires (non-pneumatic) Poteet and Main said to trial this week....?...i know that subject has history here...

nonetheless its all interesting fodder at it relates to SW 2013 and seeking to go faster...

Right on Joe :cheers:

Post #46 shows how little tire clearance there was. Looks like the spoiler was doing its job.

We like to run a soft setup and the 222 squats 1/12'' or more on acceleration. working on more :-D

JL222

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #184 on: August 11, 2013, 11:59:43 AM »
The first 3 photos here are of the mess as Poteet was preparing to/leaving the start line.

First photo shows a buncha green vests and a coupla non-credentialed photogs.  I'll cop to telling 'em that unless they had vests, they weren't allowed to be there. 

Second photo shows where they went.  The woman kneeling down told me that it was ok because she "knew the driver."  Sheesh!

Third photo:  One guy about 10-15 feet from the car on one side and a woman about the same distance on the other.  The guy was a real jerk when I suggested that he needed to be back at a 45 degree angle from the line.  After that I went to Jim Jensen and mentioned how close the guy had been.  He didn't believe me until I showed him the photo on the LCD screen on my camera.  I also mentioned it to Ron Joliffe and both of 'em said that they were doing the best they could.  Seems to me that they might get one of the course rovers to serve as a safety official at the starting line. H*ll, I'm sposedta be retired.  I may just go park somewhere and watch and listen to the radio.  End of rant.

Final photo shows the Harris Family roadster from Kiwi-land kickin up some salt as it leaves the line.

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #185 on: August 11, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
Thank you Ray for the excellent photos and commentary. They are well appreciated. Thanks to Slim for providing this forum for updates for those of us that could not make the trip to the salt this year.  Donation to Landracing.com is on its way.
 :cheers:

Offline jl222

« Reply #186 on: August 11, 2013, 12:25:01 PM »
  Starting line looks real wet and loose.

Is that yesterdays course in background and a new course already?

JL222
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:29:46 PM by jl222 »

Offline Old Scrambler

• Going Fast - Slowly
« Reply #187 on: August 11, 2013, 12:35:01 PM »
Ray...............the Kiwi pic is FANTASTIC :-) :-) :-)
2011 AMA Record - 250cc M-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 82.5 mph
2013 AMA Record - 250cc MPS-PG TRIUMPH Tiger Cub - 88.7 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 136.6 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CG HONDA CB750 sohc - 143.005 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc M-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 139.85 mph
2018 AMA Record - 750cc MPS-CF HONDA CB750 sohc - 144.2025 mph

Chassis Builder / Tuner: Dave Murre

Offline javajoe79

« Reply #188 on: August 11, 2013, 12:42:17 PM »

There's also been a few harsh words between photographers and people WAY too close to the cars as they launch...I'll post photos of that in a bit.  Day 2 is barely started and tempers are already flaring.

That sucks.. Is it other photographers too close or spectators in general? edit.....   just saw your follow up post...  That looks out of hand. Who can/will do something about that?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 12:44:28 PM by javajoe79 »
Coffey Fabrication and Race Prep
313 Wilhagan Rd Nashville, TN 37217
615-210-1605

https://www.facebook.com/CoffeyFabrication

Offline peglegcraig

« Reply #189 on: August 11, 2013, 01:23:27 PM »
Any word on Ralph Hudson? Not the way to start the day, fingers are crossed he's OK.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #190 on: August 11, 2013, 01:55:08 PM »
thanks for the tire report...:)...

in spite of feelings about old discussions..its pertinent to the situation at hand and may facilitate future forays

how about the solid tires (non-pneumatic) Poteet and Main said to trial this week....?...i know that subject has history here...

nonetheless its all interesting fodder at it relates to SW 2013 and seeking to go faster...

Joe,

I don't have a problem with tire talk concerning this speed week and vehicles running there. That is what this topic is about.

John's tires work good for him and I am happy for him and Troy, but that does not mean they are the only tire to use, and that is how I read what John says. There could be volumes written on this subject, my point is to not rehash what has already been posted on this website about tires, under this thread. That is all.

Food for thought, the wide landspeed eagles are only rated to 300 mph according to Goodyears website. So anyone who is looking at faster speeds will have no choice but to go with skinny tires.

I am leaving for Bonneville, so this is my last post until I get back.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline joea

« Reply #191 on: August 11, 2013, 02:01:06 PM »
I know John doesn't feel that they have the corner market on the best way to go fast at all...he like I know whatever works for u is just ducky..

there us a fair amt of ribbing in these posts..

we are both probably alittle intense as our energies are being poured into our endevours, but not this week leaves too much energy that has to go
somewhere...apologies...my wife cant shoulder all of it..:)..

Jon Amo and Stainless were in line next to Ralph Hudson, and sent me pics...I noticed Ralph had the Goodyear lsr car tire on front like
i switched to after scta mandated it for runs over 265 on bike....

I know Ralph ran the lsr goodyear on rear at El Mirage...not sure if he ever ran the much flatter profile on front before...also no idea
what transpired or how he is doing...

any help appreciated....

Tom G. counting on you to bring more detail oriented info from the scene ..:)
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:30:46 PM by joea »

Land Speed Lady

« Reply #192 on: August 11, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »
For those new to the thread, dont forget to listen to Speed Week Live! http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/SpeedWeek%202013/LiveStream.html

Offline jl222

« Reply #193 on: August 11, 2013, 02:29:21 PM »
 DeSotoman...the tire cop who wants US to stop talking but he can't.

Yea Joe I don't think everyone should use wide tires Bvilleracer and I just stick up for them.

If we could have a wing or a longer spoiler or both I might try skinnys [maybe] :-D

Tom...before shootin your mouth off about wide tires only being rated to 300 mph. you shold have checked

closer on the specs of Goodyear Eagle Land Speed Tires.  NONE are rated over 300.

Tom the expert :roll:

JL222 :cheers:
« Last Edit: August 11, 2013, 02:33:48 PM by jl222 »

Offline basher13

« Reply #194 on: August 11, 2013, 02:57:20 PM »
911 roadster just ran 295 an change on a 288ish record! Not only does it sound good, I could feel it as he went flyin byyyyyyyy! Man he was movin!
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker