Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494376 times)

Offline Cyclone

• New folks
Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #165 on: August 10, 2013, 11:15:48 PM »
Awesome shots RayThe Rat. Thank you for posting.

Offline desotoman

« Reply #166 on: August 10, 2013, 11:50:22 PM »
Ray,

Thanks for all you do for us in internet land. Your pictures are great. I will look you up on Monday.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline racer

• Impound 2009. sweetest spot at Bonneville.
« Reply #167 on: August 11, 2013, 02:09:25 AM »
THANKS......
Ray C Wheeler

Offline basher13

« Reply #168 on: August 11, 2013, 03:02:32 AM »
Lightning out towards the floating mountain and clear skies at the bend, can't get any better. The HAMB BBQ was a blast with a lot of great prizes in the raffle, thanks Trent.

Lots of folks in impound already, be good to see record runs tomorrow. Wind is still kickin with a couple easy-ups and tents being put to the test. At least it's a tail wind.
If yer not here, you should be

:cheers:
Dan
118.780mph in a stock(ish) Studebaker

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #169 on: August 11, 2013, 07:03:24 AM »
....sitting here in Melbourne , It's 9pm, that means it's 5am in Wendover......GET UP YOU BASTARDS :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Do something, tell us about it...... I had all sorts of rational reasons for not going this year, none are stacking up right now :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline maj

« Reply #170 on: August 11, 2013, 07:14:12 AM »
Yep     just waiting to hear the returns before bed

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #171 on: August 11, 2013, 08:54:00 AM »
....sitting here in Melbourne , It's 9pm, that means it's 5am in Wendover......GET UP YOU BASTARDS :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Do something, tell us about it...... I had all sorts of rational reasons for not going this year, none are stacking up right now :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I'm up, but my legitimacy excludes me from the "bastard" class.  Too bad it doesn't mean diddly sh*t.  :)

Youse guys has still got a coupla hours before return runs is over.  (Imagine that spoken in my grandfather's Pittsburgh "Devil's Triangle" [now known as the "Golden Triangle http://www.lookandlearn.com/history-images/XC1997009882/Slums-Pittsburgh-Pennsylvania?img=1&search=slums%2C+Pittsburgh] dialect.)

Here are the last 4 shots from impound yesterday evening:

The Retarded Sparks Special, running a Caddy flatty on a 141 record.  Looks like it's been "rode hard and put away wet" a coupla times too many, but it seems to go pretty well.  I'll have to see if I can get a shot of the motor later.

A 170 inch slant-six powered Barracuda after qualifying on a 100 (and change) record currently held by Clayton Ebert (who drives with hand controls, since he's normally in a wheelchair.)

The #1936 AA/GRMR "Bonneville Bob."

And the H/BFRMR belonging to Roger Cook and running a 1440 cc Suzuki motor.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #172 on: August 11, 2013, 08:56:57 AM »
Good morning Ray, where ever you may be this early. Hope you got some much needed rest and thanks for your excellent reporting, Mark.

Offline zzcruzin

« Reply #173 on: August 11, 2013, 08:58:26 AM »
OOPS, you beat me to it.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #174 on: August 11, 2013, 09:18:08 AM »
At the risk of gettin back into the dogfight about fat vs skinny tires, I'm gonna post some photos of the Vinson/Allison Corvette.  They made 2 licensing runs in the 170 range and the team mentioned that it ran straight as an arrow.  Admittedly, they weren't pushing real hard, but even though the car handled well, they switched to "skinnies" so that Rob Freyvogel can open it up for a record attempt.

They didn't change tires because of handling problems or instability, but because of a tire rub on the wheel arch, seen in the 3rd photo.  Rather than risk tire damage and any issues as a result, they swapped 'em out.  They may do some modifications and run the fat tires later, but at this time, they're gonna go with what worked last year.

Last photo is a an MG Midget from Milwaukee...the name otta be familiar to most folks.  They'd just gotten their pit set up when I shot the photo; I assume they'll try to get some runs in today.

Time for me to head out for record returns.

Offline joea

« Reply #175 on: August 11, 2013, 09:52:04 AM »
thanks for the tire report...:)...

in spite of feelings about old discussions..its pertinent to the situation at hand and may facilitate future forays

how about the solid tires (non-pneumatic) Poteet and Main said to trial this week....?...i know that subject has history here...

nonetheless its all interesting fodder at it relates to SW 2013 and seeking to go faster...

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #176 on: August 11, 2013, 10:16:39 AM »
BAck at it -- setting up for Salt Talks this afternoon.  But first -- George Poteet was making his return run and the car dropped parts about the 1 1/2 - so it was a turnout.  sorry, folks.  Tune in again later for their next attempt.  Other than that, though, most everyone I heard making the return run backed it up -- lots of them in spectacular measure - 10 and 20% above the record speed.  Corngratulations to them, and good luck to today's attempts.

I've got the bike nearly ready to go -- have to make a couple of bodywork brackets before I can get to tech -- but the picnic this afternoon will keep me busy 'til then.

Later -
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline noboD

« Reply #177 on: August 11, 2013, 10:44:15 AM »
Thanks for all the pics and chatter. Makes sitting at home more bearable. Hope everyone goes home fast and safe!

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #178 on: August 11, 2013, 10:53:37 AM »
 :-D
I'm a happy little Indian !  Couldn't make the trip to the Salt this year, but, the audio stream, R the R's pics, Yours Slim and bangshift.com is keeping me satisfied,,,, will be there next year,,, FO SHO !  thank You all, for a job being well done !!!!!!!
The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline doug

« Reply #179 on: August 11, 2013, 11:16:21 AM »