Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494263 times)

Offline jl222

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #60 on: August 10, 2013, 12:41:16 AM »
Yep, Slim, I saw the gendarmes at the Bend when I went thru about an hour before.  If I was a conspirin' man, I'd say that there's a little bit of revenue enhancement in progress.  But life's is what it is and I can only echo the suggestions of taking care when the "bears" are around...or even MIGHT be around.  

The stop sign at the I-80 overpass going toward the truck stop is one place to take care....Mike Cook and I got busted on the same day a coupla years ago,  I guess the cop saw that it was my birthday and only gave me a warning, but Cook got nailed.

Another place to take care is right across from Mike Crawford's auto parts store.  An easy place to nail folks leavin Wendover in a hurry to get to the salt.

Meanwhile, here are a few photos from today:

The Vinson/Allison Corvette built by Rob Freyvogel...last year it ran in A/BGT, but Rob says it was virtually uncontrollable, even tho he got a red hat out of it.  So this year it's running in A/BMS with some downforce changes added.  Vinson tells me that they know all about the wide tire thing and that they have a set of "skinnies" but they wanna try the fat tires first.  Could be interesting to be out around the 5 mile marker when he runs it.

The next 2 photos are of a Mustang being run by a couple of gents from the UK...they were telling a story about the Carrera Panamericana when I came to visit with 'em but their Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb (the oldest operational motorsport venue in the world) kinda gave 'em away as Brits.  Nice chaps, I say.  :)

Yea Ray don't run those wide tires we were only able to get a 280mph 21/4 and 294mph 1st mile time blowing before 3 mile trap in 2011. :-D  A/blown GAS altered

Everyone should use skinneys :-D

We did have a 288 mph with a 279 exit speed in 1994 at World of speed when overdrive slipped, should have used those skinney tires and gone real fast :roll:

Yea you gota listen to the EXPERTS :-o

JL222

« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 12:48:38 AM by jl222 »

Offline doug

« Reply #61 on: August 10, 2013, 01:30:28 AM »

Quick question, does anyone have any information on the "Flashpoint" streamliner? I've never heard of this car before, but just saw a few photo's of the car on Bangshift and the power plant in it looks pretty serious.

7800   A    BFS       DALTON, JACKSON & MAYER    CA
here is some info on DMPEs site:
http://www.dmpeinc.com/superchargers/
and here:
www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,11880.255.html
scroll down a bit

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #62 on: August 10, 2013, 09:30:33 AM »
Yep, Slim, I saw the gendarmes at the Bend when I went thru about an hour before.  If I was a conspirin' man, I'd say that there's a little bit of revenue enhancement in progress.  But life's is what it is and I can only echo the suggestions of taking care when the "bears" are around...or even MIGHT be around. 

The stop sign at the I-80 overpass going toward the truck stop is one place to take care....Mike Cook and I got busted on the same day a coupla years ago,  I guess the cop saw that it was my birthday and only gave me a warning, but Cook got nailed.

Another place to take care is right across from Mike Crawford's auto parts store.  An easy place to nail folks leavin Wendover in a hurry to get to the salt.

Meanwhile, here are a few photos from today:

The Vinson/Allison Corvette built by Rob Freyvogel...last year it ran in A/BGT, but Rob says it was virtually uncontrollable, even tho he got a red hat out of it.  So this year it's running in A/BMS with some downforce changes added.  Vinson tells me that they know all about the wide tire thing and that they have a set of "skinnies" but they wanna try the fat tires first.  Could be interesting to be out around the 5 mile marker when he runs it.

The next 2 photos are of a Mustang being run by a couple of gents from the UK...they were telling a story about the Carrera Panamericana when I came to visit with 'em but their Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb (the oldest operational motorsport venue in the world) kinda gave 'em away as Brits.  Nice chaps, I say.  :)

Yea Ray don't run those wide tires we were only able to get a 280mph 21/4 and 294mph 1st mile time blowing before 3 mile trap in 2011. :-D  A/blown GAS altered

Everyone should use skinneys :-D

We did have a 288 mph with a 279 exit speed in 1994 at World of speed when overdrive slipped, should have used those skinney tires and gone real fast :roll:

Yea you gota listen to the EXPERTS :-o

JL222

I don't have a dog in this fight...I'm just reporting what I was told.  If the car runs thru the 5 at 300...well, I hope I'm there to get a shot of it.

Offline sodbuster

« Reply #63 on: August 10, 2013, 10:12:17 AM »
Thanks everyone for the updates. This is the first one that I've missed since 2001.......but, 2 kids have sorta' changed things. If your on 'Instagram' people are tagging #bonneville and posting great shots.

I'm really hoping that the stream works and doesn't crash.

Chris Nelson
Kansas
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #64 on: August 10, 2013, 10:16:45 AM »
Texican just called me to tell me that the Subway in Wendover will be open 24 hours...so if ya want a sandwich in the middle of the night ya know where ya can get one.

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #65 on: August 10, 2013, 10:24:39 AM »

Quick question, does anyone have any information on the "Flashpoint" streamliner? I've never heard of this car before, but just saw a few photo's of the car on Bangshift and the power plant in it looks pretty serious.

7800   A    BFS       DALTON, JACKSON & MAYER    CA
here is some info on DMPEs site:
http://www.dmpeinc.com/superchargers/
and here:
www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,11880.255.html
scroll down a bit

Thank you. Very impressive numbers last year. I look forward to hearing how you guys run this week. Good luck!

Offline joea

« Reply #66 on: August 10, 2013, 10:56:26 AM »
JL...just think how fast it might have gone on skinny tires...

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #67 on: August 10, 2013, 11:37:12 AM »
JL...just think how fast it might have gone on skinny tires...

What is interesting about this whole debate is that the only car that has gone as fast in the first mile was the Leggit/Lindsay firebird that had skinny tires on it, but had twice the HP.   :cheers:

Offline Avanti Kid

• 2006 Member of Bonneville 200 MPH Club
« Reply #68 on: August 10, 2013, 11:47:12 AM »
Hey, any word on when the audio broadcast will start?? will it be after the Drivers meeting or when the racing starts on the 4 race courses??  :?
Original owner of 1963 Avanti; Age 84
2006 Bonneville 200 MPH Club Member
Canyon Country, CA
215.6 mph 289 CI Studebaker engine

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #69 on: August 10, 2013, 12:06:12 PM »
Drivers meeting ended a coupla minutes ago.  Here are some shots from the staging lane (long course):

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #70 on: August 10, 2013, 12:26:39 PM »
LIVE from Bonneville!
The SCTA link doesn't work. This one is correct.
http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/SpeedWeek%202013/LiveStream.html
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline draglc

« Reply #71 on: August 10, 2013, 12:38:26 PM »
thanks mate  :-D

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #72 on: August 10, 2013, 12:43:35 PM »
LIVE from Bonneville!
The SCTA link doesn't work. This one is correct.
http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/SpeedWeek%202013/LiveStream.html

thanks for the link, but are they broadcasting yet?  I cant hear anything yet. :-P

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #73 on: August 10, 2013, 12:56:22 PM »
It is fully how perception changes when one gets older.  Fancy solutions to technical problems impressed me when I was a fresh new engineer.  Mid career, this changed.  Now simple solutions made much more sense.  Now, as I am near the end of my game, folks that make things that do not have problems requiring solutions impress me the most of all.  There are some pretty plain Jane appearing cars in these photos.  These are some of the most elegantly designed ones when a person looks close.

Thanks for the good coverage.  It is time for me to get back to THRASHIN'

Offline biglady112

« Reply #74 on: August 10, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
They have been broadcasting for over an hour. Works fine for me.
1947 Dodge Pickup