Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494385 times)

Offline joea

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2013, 10:07:29 PM »
Ray, Pork Pie Hotrod, could someone post a pic from today on the salt...or more than one..?..

Joe

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2013, 10:12:31 PM »
Yep, Slim, I saw the gendarmes at the Bend when I went thru about an hour before.  If I was a conspirin' man, I'd say that there's a little bit of revenue enhancement in progress.  But life's is what it is and I can only echo the suggestions of taking care when the "bears" are around...or even MIGHT be around. 

The stop sign at the I-80 overpass going toward the truck stop is one place to take care....Mike Cook and I got busted on the same day a coupla years ago,  I guess the cop saw that it was my birthday and only gave me a warning, but Cook got nailed.

Another place to take care is right across from Mike Crawford's auto parts store.  An easy place to nail folks leavin Wendover in a hurry to get to the salt.

Meanwhile, here are a few photos from today:

The Vinson/Allison Corvette built by Rob Freyvogel...last year it ran in A/BGT, but Rob says it was virtually uncontrollable, even tho he got a red hat out of it.  So this year it's running in A/BMS with some downforce changes added.  Vinson tells me that they know all about the wide tire thing and that they have a set of "skinnies" but they wanna try the fat tires first.  Could be interesting to be out around the 5 mile marker when he runs it.

The next 2 photos are of a Mustang being run by a couple of gents from the UK...they were telling a story about the Carrera Panamericana when I came to visit with 'em but their Shelsley Walsh Hillclimb (the oldest operational motorsport venue in the world) kinda gave 'em away as Brits.  Nice chaps, I say.  :)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2013, 10:14:13 PM »
Ray, Pork Pie Hotrod, could someone post a pic from today on the salt...or more than one..?..

Joe

Your wish is my command, god sir.  LOL!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:04 PM »
I think the first photo is of a Divco milk truck (or milk float as they calls 'em in the UK) and suitably slammed for extra "kool points."

The next 3 are of a very interesting take on what must be an unholy crossbreeding of a 58 Edsel and a....something else.  :)  The thing that really got my attention about it was the J C Whitney style wide whitewall "accessories" that are seen on the back.  I have to shamefully admit to having used 'em on a car back in the early 60s.  They didn't work any better back then, either.

Offline joea

« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2013, 10:21:52 PM »
Ray...not to shabby...4 minutes from whining to results...

i know you all are busy...so i bit my tongue for 15 hrs from 0500 to 2000....

Joe :)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #50 on: August 09, 2013, 10:53:42 PM »
Ray...not to shabby...4 minutes from whining to results...

i know you all are busy...so i bit my tongue for 15 hrs from 0500 to 2000....

Joe :)

How about this one?  It's the only shot I got of the tail-hanger Buick-engined Amo-Steele liner.  Definitely a different configuration.

Then we got a coupla shots of a "Lucra"...I'd never heard of one.  Had to look into it a bit and found this: http://www.lucracars.com/#!about/c1enr  Another real interesting beast.  I dunno what motor that one had in it...they can be had with an LS3, LS7 or a blown Mercedes V8.  I guess I can look under the hood of my Camaro and find an LS3.  The rest is a little too rich for my bank balance and Social Security,  LOL!  I guess the name "Lucra" could be interpreted in a coupla ways: Maybe as in "lucrative" or as in "filthy lucre" (meaning gain in terms of money or wealth.)  Who knows?

Offline Avanti Dan

• Going to Bonneville to fill my Bucket List item #4
« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2013, 11:08:48 PM »
Please don't hate me for this post but I sent three intake manifolds to Speed Week with the High Gear Ranch crew. They are clean and wrapped in plastic wrap. Two are iron and one is aluminum. They don't take up much space but! They are ultimately supposed to end up in Georgia to be modfied and sent back to the West Coast. Problem is my connection from Speed Week to East of the Mississippi didn't make it so now they are sitting in Impound and hoping that someone has room in their truck or car or trailer for them. If I can get them East of the river my Georgia guy can make the rest of the connection. So I am checking to see if any of the people who were lucky enough to make it this year can help a couple of fellow racers out with this logistical issue? Dan Warner and Dan Stokes should be in possession of the manifolds by now or by tomorrow at the latest. Thanks in advance and I wish I was there. Next year with the brand new Dutch Treat Super Lark competition coupe.
Dan
Bucket List Dreamer

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2013, 11:14:45 PM »
A few more. 

A Falcon Ranchero with a Nissan 6-banger in it...I think Henry would sh*t a brick after seein that.

Then there's a lakester that I don't know anything about, but it looks interesting.  I'm too tired to run down to my Burb to get the program and look it up.  I first saw it in a rear view and for some reason it told me that it wanted to have its picture taken...or something.

Offline Tom Slick

• http://www.ccrsport.com
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2013, 11:24:39 PM »
Hey fella's, loving the great coverage already and racing hasn't even started yet. I, like all of you, am looking forward to keeping myself glued to the computer all week to take in all of your first hand accounts of the action taking place out on the salt. That said, thank you very much to all involved, your tireless efforts are much appreciated.  :cheers:

Quick question, does anyone have any information on the "Flashpoint" streamliner? I've never heard of this car before, but just saw a few photo's of the car on Bangshift and the power plant in it looks pretty serious.

P.S. I'm looking forward to hearing how Damion Gardner runs in the "Green Demon" modified sprint car.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2013, 11:25:50 PM »
Last one for tonite.  A coupla names that otta be easily recognized:  Fast Freddy and Jonny Hotnuts:

Offline sabat

« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2013, 11:26:23 PM »
Thanks Ray! I'm sure i will be repeating this phrase a lot this week :)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2013, 11:36:38 PM »
Hey fella's, loving the great coverage already and racing hasn't even started yet. I, like all of you, am looking forward to keeping myself glued to the computer all week to take in all of your first hand accounts of the action taking place out on the salt. That said, thank you very much to all involved, your tireless efforts are much appreciated.  :cheers:

Quick question, does anyone have any information on the "Flashpoint" streamliner? I've never heard of this car before, but just saw a few photo's of the car on Bangshift and the power plant in it looks pretty serious.

P.S. I'm looking forward to hearing how Damion Gardner runs in the "Green Demon" modified sprint car.

Ok, I lied.  Here's a shot of the "Green Demon."  I don't know anything about it except that it's running Time Only.

Then there's the Roger Ward/A J Watson Champ car with Offy motor and labeled XXO/VOT.  Gotta be something to watch.

Then a coupla shots taken from the door of my motel room.  They could almost be from the 50s or 60s. 

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2013, 11:56:37 PM »
Only a rumor I heard sitting in Fast Freddie's pit...best you not be sitting in your pick-up enjoying an adult beverage in an open container even with the engine not running when the ranger/sheriff passes by....considered an open container infraction....even tho your not moving..

Still having a great time.....JD

First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2013, 12:12:27 AM »
Avanti Dan:  I'll be going back to Upper Michigan with room in the trailer -- but not 'til after the season out here ends, whether after the Shootout or after World Finals (WF is about 50-50 rained or weathered out).  If the manifolds can wait, and if it's okay to take 'em to Marquette, MIchigan, you're welcome to have 'em spend a few weeks in my trailer.  Let me know, hey?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Land Speed Lady

« Reply #59 on: August 10, 2013, 12:12:48 AM »
Please remember tomorrow, for the first time, Bonneville Speed Week goes LIVE on line! You can share this link with your friends/family and other racers please! There will also be a current photo slideslow from the days' events! They'll be showing pictures of the teams and all of your buddies. Check it out, starting tomorrow! http://www.scta-bni.org/Bonneville/SpeedWeek%202013/LiveStream.html