Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494266 times)

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2013, 07:49:43 AM »
Slim,
Thanks for the pictures.

Everyone, have fun, go fast and be safe.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2013, 08:00:14 AM »
I'm heading out in about 2 hours.  8-) Wayno

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2013, 08:44:06 AM »
I hope you're meeting the "T-II" there Glen!

Good Luck!!!  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline saltcatracing

• New folks
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2013, 10:13:42 AM »
Salt Cat Racing Team on the road - Yee Haw!

Offline floydjer

• "There is no duck side of the moon..."
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2013, 11:10:12 AM »
Try a zip lock bag, some water and a few pennies in it.

Worked for us when we went camping.

FREUD

Makes cents...
.....I did not know that you and I are related.....................
I`d never advocate drugs,alcohol,violence or insanity to anyone...But they work for me.

Offline jl222

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2013, 11:35:20 AM »
Love that line.

Can you imagine Freddie in a streamliner?

Torg would have been impressed.

FREUD

Whats really impressive is that Freddy built it in less than a year and most in his shop :-o

George Fields did the skin from what I know.

LOOKS like a wing on there :cheers:

JL222

Offline jl222

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2013, 12:20:50 PM »
I turned on the drier and made it a bit whiter.

FREUD

I suggested doing that years ago to save on the high cost of oil amd using a gps like the farmers use to keep their rows straight.

Any how I called Ed Whitley who is out on the course and works on the crew putting up the 1/4 and mile markers which they are still using.

The blue line ''from what Ed told me''is a science project from Miriam Macmillan's school class.The dye is bio -degradeble and goes away in 21 days 8-)

Ed said its dark clouds and a light sprinkle right now but line is not bleeding.

Hey Slim, how about more info from Miriam?

JL222

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »
My compliments to Mr. Lattin.  That guy can drive a straight line!  We all know how hard that is out there.

Offline jl222

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2013, 01:41:12 PM »
My compliments to Mr. Lattin.  That guy can drive a straight line!  We all know how hard that is out there.

Yea, that is straight! I wonder if they did the old set out the cones and truck driver aimed for cones and course worker yanked out of way at last minute? But looks straighter than old way.

There's a device that the farmers use that steers the vehicle off the gps signal. Wonder if they used that?

JL222

Offline USFRAMONTE

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
From what I heard, they used the old fashioned cone method.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »
Well, it's not from Miriam - or anyone that wants to be identified - but first and foremost, the BLM is "rumored" to be on-site with UNMARKED cars, handing out tickets for everything from unlicensed vehicles being operated with no helmets on youngsters driving pit vehicles to failure to use the required number of sheets of toilet paper while using one of my favorite little rooms.  Beware.  Seriously -- they are out here, I'm told.  And watch your speed on the entry road, as usual -- Tooele County is here, and in town -- watch your speed on the exit ramp getting off at exit #2 - the one that takes you to the east end of Wendover.  I've seen po-leece there radaring cars that haven't slowed down from freeway speed yet.

Other than that, let's see.  Jacey of the Enola Gay cafe is here and they're serving food in the vendor area today and tomorrow.  Then starting Saturday they'll be located at the #1&2 start line with two, count them two, locations.  This year they'll have turkey burgers and gyros when it's not too hot and foot long dogs and burgers and chicken sandwiches, and maybe more but that's all I can remember.  Why do they get a nice mention?  Because they lend us their big 8-burner grill for Salt Talks, thank you very much, that's why.

Here are some photos of stuff from this morning, mostly in the lines for inspection.

Indy car, right?

But this is the cool part -- period correct.  I wonder if this really did used to be "the" car.  If so -- hey, I saw that car run all those years ago.  I mean, Roger Ward and A J Watson are pretty well-known names. . .and all of the cars of that day were "Something or other Specials".  Cool to see. No, I didn't see what motor it had.  If it really is an Offy I'll try to get photos for you.

Lots of smoky vehicles here this year:

Please note Jeff Brock's air intake and the cover:

And here's Nancy and Jeff hisself:

If you're a bike racer - here's the first face you'll see at inspection - Cathy Butler.  She looks at your safety garb and fire ext. and so on:

Here's that motorhome, complete with cage:

Rex Svoboda's car is here.  Notice, as usual, the size of that little blower:

That's it for now.  I've got to get back to sending toilets around.  We had 29 at our pit this morning -- already down a half dozen.  Hope that diarrhea goes away soon. :evil:

PS  If they used the "cone" method for the blue lines - they weren't calling on the radio for volunteer cone-holders like they used to do.  And it's Miriam's daughter's class that came up with the idea.  I forget her name, but here's fair warning -- she's working in the registration area giving out the driver (yellow) armbands, and she's checking your BNI/SCTA membership card.  See if you can find yours.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline theazoldcrow

• Yup!
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2013, 03:49:08 PM »
 :-D
Slim,,,, thanks a groupe !  This is nice for us of you all that could not make it this year !  Thanks again,,, but I'll be there next year !

The Earth, is an intergalactic insane asylum.!

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2013, 03:58:47 PM »
in the IeeeMortal words of Wille  " On the road again, on the road
again, I just cant wait to be with my FRIENDS on the road again"

We are out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2013, 04:00:13 PM »
Great photos, SSS.  Love 'em!

Pork Pie otta be there now...last nite we dragged him (kicking and screaming) into the 20th (yep, 20th) by getting his cell phone to work.  I'll leave it up to him to hand out his number if he so chooses, 

I finally found a room at Knight's in (yeah, it's a dump, but a dump I'm familiar with) and I'll be there tomorrow (Friday.)  I'm very tempted to bring my Camaro, bit it's kinda hard to set up a tripod on top of it...so I'll be there in my old red Burb.  I otta be able to show up around noon tomorrow.  I hope to contribute some photos to this thread.

I remain, as always, yr fthfl srvnt (I been listening to too many audiobooks with 19th century content...it's broiled my brain even more that it was to start with.  [I'd like to buy  VOWEL, by a vowel, Pat!])

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2013, 04:05:45 PM »
in the IeeeMortal words of Wille  " On the road again, on the road
again, I just cant wait to be with my FRIENDS on the road again"

We are out of here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think ya gotta give credit for that to Canned Heat (1966) and before that to Bob Dylan (1965).  Willie covered the Canned Heat version in 1970.

Lookin forward to see ya, Sparky.  Remember the old daze at the Bend?  Sometimes dreams DO come true.