Author Topic: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event  (Read 494426 times)

Offline Don Martin

• Studebaker build
Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
« Reply #660 on: August 17, 2013, 07:33:26 PM »
Got home from Speedweek last night. Second year Cliff and I drove out from Tennessee. We call it fact finding missions to learn and see all we can. We stay with a local family that are the nicest people you can meet. Plans are to stay with them next year when we bring our wives and our C/GCC 53 Studebaker. The people involved with LSR are the best on earth. Many thanks to the SCTA volunteers for there hard work. We spent alot of time in and around tech, asking questions and listening. We took part in the rookie orientation for the second year. Thanks Nathan. We dropped off a transmission to Provo and Judy ( great people ). For years I wanted to go to Speedweek and heard about salt fever. I know now there is no cure for it as I am making plans for next year the day after getting home. The count down has started. See you on the salt.
Scaaty
53 Studebaker
A/BGCC
It's all fun  ECTA 2 Club Member  SAVE THE SALT

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #661 on: August 17, 2013, 09:06:32 PM »
After my experiences with the bunch of em, The SCTA would be the last people I would give crash pix too..... They don't need em..... They are much happier creating there own idea and story of what caused the accident....

Offline jh333

« Reply #662 on: August 17, 2013, 09:37:44 PM »
There is a sure cure for salt fever, just let the Sheriffs oops I mean tech inspectors tell you how smart they are and how dumb you are. SURE CURE FOR YOUR FEVER! !!!!!!!

Offline SabreTooth

« Reply #663 on: August 18, 2013, 01:26:58 AM »
Stoney Fritz....was cleared by trauma so to speak...cleared for surgery basically
tomorrow to plate the rib with multiple breaks, and a chest tube to help reinflate
the left lung....not sure yet if fx scapula will require surg repair....

he is at University Hospital in SLC...

Got the bad news somewhere in Montana travelling back home to Alberta Friday. I met the ever jovial Stoney "Evil Penguin" Fritz for the first time this year and we were rooting for him on his new twin engined bike. If I recall, he set one record after a close call earlier in the week and we wished him good luck and success for the rest of the week as we left The Salt Thursday. Joe, thanks for the initial report and update.

Stoney, wishing you a full and speedy recovery. That's one serious "off." You  may not be feeling very lucky at the moment but luck you must have, although one less life off the tally I'm sure.

Get well soon and my wishes well to the all the racers involved in injury incidents this past week.

Jim
« Last Edit: August 18, 2013, 02:18:16 AM by SabreTooth »

Offline JamesLaMere

• WoS'07
« Reply #664 on: August 18, 2013, 01:53:51 AM »
Thank you to everyone who volunteered to make the 65th SpeedWeek a great event!

Question: why is 1 1/2" chrome-moly tubing considered inferior to 1 5/8" mild steel?

For those interested, posted an initial selection of my photos at:

http://www.facebook.com/jameslamere/media_set?set=a.10201924458660979.1073741853.1469690395&type=1

See you at World Finals!
James LaMere
Denver, CO

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #665 on: August 18, 2013, 03:23:50 AM »
Copied from the Yamaha Warrior forum...thanks Justin.

Update on Stoney-Just got back from visiting with him and he is doin good. He is in pretty rough shape but doing good considering. He has 7 broken ribs, 2 of which were broken in multiple places and putting pressure on his spleen and one of them punctured the membrane around his lung. They have completed surgery on the ribs and plated/pinned them back together so they are no longer putting pressure on anything. Because the membrane around the lung was punctured fluid was allowed to get in and they were worried about the lung collapsing but it did not. They now have a tube into that area and have it mostly drained but left the tube in to allow it to continue to drain. He also fractured his scapula but they don't think they will have to do surgery on it. The doc said there is enough muscle back there that they are pretty sure it will stay put until healed. He will have to spend 4-5 days in the hospital here in SLC and then drive home. They wont allow him to fly due to the lung issue so his wife and a friend that was out there helping him drove all the stuff back to California and his wife will fly back to Utah tomorrow night and then drive him home once he is released.

"Onto the rest of the story-He was hauling arse!!! He said that they were 12 mile an hour faster in the first mile than any of there previous runs and he was in 5th seeing about 17-18 lbs of boost when he went down. He says it was probably his fastest run and that he is pretty sure he was north of the 200mph mark when he went down. He said the track was pretty loose and some of the big race cars had put some pretty good ruts in it so he was trying to stay all the way to the edge. He was headed over to the edge when he saw a rut and ended up hitting it which resulted in some pretty bad head shake and then the tank slap started. He said it was slapping stop to stop and he could see he was coming up on one of the signs on the side of the track so he tried not to look at it so he wouldn't go that direction, that's when he got launched off and the bike went down on the left side and didn't flip but just slid. Unfortunately Stoney still hit the sign with his body and that's what caused most of the injuries. He did have a couple cameras mounted, unfortunately one was on the left side by the intercooler and may have not survived but the other was mounted on top of the fuel tank and he hopes to be able to recover some footage from it.

Overall it turned out better than it could have so he is staying positive and I told him everyone here is pulling for him and he says thanks, he really appreciates all the support everyone here has given him."

Scott

2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #666 on: August 18, 2013, 06:22:45 AM »
Hi Folks,

I'm back home....a little bit toasted from the long travel....but I found the key for the apartment, so that I had not to climb over the roof to get in my place :roll:

I will be back for World of Speed/Shootout.....meanwhile all the best to all my friends at the salt....and a fast recovering to all who had the bad luck to crash with their racer.

Looking for to seeing you again in a few weeks.....
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

gkabbt

« Reply #667 on: August 18, 2013, 10:50:14 AM »
Stainless, VERY GOOD to see you logged on. Hope any swelling and soreness you have is fading.
I look forward to meeting you at WoS!  :cheers:

Gregg

Offline yamagamma

« Reply #668 on: August 18, 2013, 11:56:28 AM »
A dedicated lane for "motorcycles only" would resolve most of the track condition safety issues for the bikes. With 2 serious bike crashes this year, SCTA should seriously consider this option, especially considering the large number of bikes being entered in this event nowadays.

Simple solution!

Never underestimate an old guy on a Yamaha!

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #669 on: August 18, 2013, 12:00:21 PM »

Question: why is 1 1/2" chrome-moly tubing considered inferior to 1 5/8" mild steel?

See you at World Finals!
James LaMere
Denver, CO

BTW: I will be doing some engineering studies on the 1 1/2" vs 1 5/8" tubing so if any one has any questions or comments PM me over the next few weeks.

I was crewing on XsStress @ Bonneville '32 Ford so no time for posts. CW & CCW spins @ 217 and a final pass @ 233. Not bad for a little deuce coupe!  :-o

I will put some pixs up later and will also be at BUB, WoS and Top Speed. Shoulda moved to Utah this year!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #670 on: August 18, 2013, 12:27:23 PM »

For those interested, posted an initial selection of my photos at:

http://www.facebook.com/jameslamere/media_set?set=a.10201924458660979.1073741853.1469690395&type=1

See you at World Finals!
James LaMere
Denver, CO

It isn't all about tensile strength. One important factor is energy absorption in a crash. Mild steel deforms when stressed past its yield limit into its "plastic range" and this is where the energy absorption takes place. Chrome-moly has a higher yield strength but a smaller plastic range , so its energy absorption is less. Energy absorption of the structure reduces the "G" loads on the driver.

Up to the yield point, there is no energy absorption; the material is just strained (deflected) like a spring-- it stores energy but then releases it when the force is removed.

The larger diameter tube is stiffer in bending; the steel alloy doesn't matter.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #671 on: August 18, 2013, 01:56:22 PM »
Chrome moly is good stuff and a skilled welder can make a nice and safe lightweight bike frame with it.  One drawback is it needs the "skilled welder" and the tubes can break near the welds with no warning if the welding including before and after steps are not done right.  Some of the Honda dirt bikes in the early 70's had chrome moly farmes.  They looked great and we somehow managed to break them.  Honda eventually figured out a solution.  My fix was to ride a Yamaha.  It had a frame made from higher strength mild steel and it never broke.

My experience is, for the average homeboy, he is better off using the more forgiving carbon steel for his work, and where light weight is critical, having something professionally welded from chrome moly is OK.     

Offline superleggera

« Reply #672 on: August 18, 2013, 03:14:33 PM »

Back in the shop in Phoenix, AZ.  Interesting year on the salt.  Three big streamliners of friends never made it there which was unfortunate.  Then again the salt conditions left a lot to be desired given the spins and more and no clue how they would have done given that.  The SCTA folks and volunteers did an admirable job as usual -- if it wasn't for them, this event just wouldn't happen -- thanks for making it happen!  Also it was good to catch up with friends I hadn't seen for a year as well as make new ones -- and helping others with wrenching or technical assistance as needed since we had nothing to crew upon for this year due to the above streamliners not arriving.  Still a lot learned going through the pits, watching competitors and eyeball engineering what others have already built.  Already at work here today for 2014 for a few entrees of my own.

And Freud -- looked for you but never found you -- but at least you caught up with Dave and Misty.  See ya' next year as I'm confidant that I'll be a lot easier to find then!

- me: Mark - home: Dry Heat, AZ USA - build: motorcycle streamliner

Offline thundersalt

• www.americanrvservicecenter.com
« Reply #673 on: August 18, 2013, 03:31:21 PM »
A dedicated lane for "motorcycles only" would resolve most of the track condition safety issues for the bikes. With 2 serious bike crashes this year, SCTA should seriously consider this option, especially considering the large number of bikes being entered in this event nowadays.

Simple solution!

There is a motorcycle only line. It's called Bubs
916 REMR
2017 AA/FRMR Bonneville Record holder 234.663
2018 AA/GRMR El Mirage Record holder 223.108
2020 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 252.438
2021 AA/BGRMR Bonneville Record holder 262.685
El Mirage 200 MPH Club
Drivers/Owners: Brian & Celia Dean

Offline Hot Rod Lincoln

• F/GC Record Holder 164.845
« Reply #674 on: August 18, 2013, 03:47:42 PM »
There is a sure cure for salt fever, just let the Sheriffs oops I mean tech inspectors tell you how smart they are and how dumb you are. SURE CURE FOR YOUR FEVER! !!!!!!!

we heard more than a few teams had a bad taste in their mouths after tech.  that's a bumber......