Author Topic: Thunderstorms predicted  (Read 10633 times)

Offline DND

Re: Thunderstorms predicted
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2013, 01:58:03 PM »
Oh ya, that's one of the neat things about the racing game is all the stuff that wen't on in the past

One of my friends from San Fernando High is Don Brown who built & raced sprint cars, i'am at page 330 for Vintage sprint cars on the H.A.M.B. forum the has over 1000 pages for these cars

The Pics & storys are priceless and when I was running my Gasser in the 60's I would go to Ascot too to see the local guys and once a year the USAC troops would hit town and put on a great show too

G Don

Offline jet966

• New folks
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2013, 03:06:53 PM »
...and Glen Barrett's statistics, read over the CB while waiting for conditions to change in 2005. My personal favorite rain-out. Everyone sitting in team vehicles all over the salt hiding from the elements, but feeling like we were all in the same living room catching up on history of our sport.

It was cool to not have a single vehicle going down the course, (except for some kaibos that probably ran over the lights, preventing Glen from getting a time), but feel like we were still 'racing' anyway.

Thanks, Dr. Barrett
-The Other Glen SCTA 966B
Wheel Tramps CC/MC
Land Speed Racers So-Cal

Offline Freud

« Reply #17 on: August 07, 2013, 03:54:01 PM »
Rain storms can be a hair raising experience.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RacerX9623

« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 04:16:53 PM »
Last year at the starting line the thunder storms and clouds came in from all directions. But the rain had not started. People standing around the bikes when suddenly everyone's hair started standing on end.

No one realized how dangerous this situation is. If your hair is standing on end, and you are the tallest point for miles around. YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY LIGHTNING.  Watch out and at least get inside a car.
trying to go 200 KPH with a 250cc four stroke.

Offline Texican

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 06:02:52 PM »
That would be Mark Eaton or me.
you are the tallest point for miles around

Glad I don't wear golf shoes out there and really assure a solid path to ground.

Offline Tman

« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 06:09:24 PM »
Last year at the starting line the thunder storms and clouds came in from all directions. But the rain had not started. People standing around the bikes when suddenly everyone's hair started standing on end.

No one realized how dangerous this situation is. If your hair is standing on end, and you are the tallest point for miles around. YOU ARE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY LIGHTNING.  Watch out and at least get inside a car.

That was a crazy storm.

Offline mtkawboy

« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 07:49:16 PM »
Just read a weather report at 5:30 that said a thunderstorm is going on now

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 08:05:19 PM »
20 or so miles south of here according to the radar I see.  Partly cloudy but bright and gently breezing here at the Quality Inn.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2013, 08:35:04 PM »

That was a crazy storm.

Last year standing at the kilo club as a storm came in the Colonel said to me, if you feel a buzzing or your hair stands up LIE DOWN......
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2013, 08:53:32 PM »
The preferred method is to squat down like a baseball catcher, with feet close together.
Laying down could result in serious shock injury if ground currents pass down the length of your body.

In the vicinity of the lightning strike there are huge currents that flow through the surface of the ground trying to distribute the sudden high voltage potential change.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/science_ground_currents.htm

Offline maj

« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
Wish i could find that pic of Bones at the start line from a couple of yrs ago
Looked like a holy man in a white fireproof undergarment and long white hair/beard standing on end

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2013, 09:06:29 PM »
The preferred method is to squat down like a baseball catcher, with feet close together.
Laying down could result in serious shock injury if ground currents pass down the length of your body.

In the vicinity of the lightning strike there are huge currents that flow through the surface of the ground trying to distribute the sudden high voltage potential change.

http://www.lightningsafety.noaa.gov/science_ground_currents.htm

Well, there we go. Thanks for that.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Freud

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2013, 09:16:44 PM »
Goggles, I understand but I sure as    h e l l    wish you were going to be here.

New badges for the Kilo Klub members.  Yours will be waiting.

FerD
Since '63

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2013, 10:34:35 PM »
Looks like Bendover knows we're coming, the price of gas just went up 40 cents!
  Sid.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2013, 10:43:30 PM »
Diesel was $397.9 at Smith's, 396.9 at the Pilot, 499.9 at the truck stop at exit 4.  Diesel at the exit 99 stations at Tooele was $405.9.  I filled up in SLC at one of the cheapie stations for $383.9.

Gasoline showed $372.9 and $375.9 at the stations across from the Quality Inn.

Oh, and the Chevron in W. Wendover, hard by where the I-80 exit sends you toward Wendover Blvd, was $399.9 for gas and $425.9 for diesel.  But then -- that station is always way high.

Should I check the prices again in the morning?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com