Author Topic: I'm coming back  (Read 3595 times)

Offline garrell patterson

I'm coming back
« on: August 06, 2013, 02:58:10 PM »
A few of you that know me probably wondered what happened to me at the April meet. We were at the track all day went through tech inspection early and even went through the rookie orientation meeting since the 1/2 mile traps had been added. After going out to dinner Friday night then to the rooms I tried to call my Dad as I did every morning and night. He had been in and out of the hospital five times for a total of eight weeks since mid January for a total of eight weeks with CHF and COPD. I didn't get anyone to answer at his home and he had become bed bound but we had a wonder lady that stayed with him seven nights per week. I assumed that she was cleaning him up or something then my Wife called and said his phone was out of order but he was okay. Our plan was to be at the gate to the track at 5:30 AM. During the night my Wife called again and said Dad was actually back in the hospital I serious condition but no one wanted us to drive all night And if I wanted to stay and run on Saturday that would keep me informed of his condition. We packed our bags to carry to the track in case we had to head home. Saturday morning we were headed for the track and my plan was to make two runs and leave out for the twelve hour drive home. We stayed about six miles from the track and was five minutes away when I saw a ramp to I-71S and veered onto it and did what my heart told me and headed home. Dad lived two more weeks and I was fortunate enough to have spent the last day before and all night with him and he passed away the next morning with his immediate family around his beds and I at the head of the bed with my hand gently on top of his head. I softly told him his family was around the bed and we loved him but if he was tired and wanted to go on and be with Mother it was okay with us. He clinched his jaw took two breaths and passed away.
My truck goes to the shop tomorrow for a cam change and a new tuneup and I will be looking forward to seeing everyone at the end of Sept.
Donna and Joe you are in my prayers.
garrell patterson

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: I'm coming back
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 07:09:36 PM »
May he rest in peace.  You did the best thing, for sure.  Condolences from Nancy and me.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline redhotracing

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 08:44:35 PM »
Garrell-
Having never met you or your dad, I send condolences as a fellow
man and human being. May he rest in peace, and may you and your
family find peace and joy in his life and death. Our best... L & G
Luke- Winston Salem, NC
Loring 2 Club- 201.252 (2010)
Ohio 2 Club- 203.712 (2013)

Offline t russell

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2013, 04:09:59 PM »
You did the right thing.My condolences

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 05:53:09 AM »
I text Tonya to let her know I was scratching my entry and touched on why we left because I have a few health problems and I didn't want anyone to think I was ill was the reason I had left but I didn't want to even think about LSR until about three weeks ago.
garrell patterson

Offline gray63

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 01:48:49 PM »
My condolences Garrell.
I too just lost my father 3 weeks ago and was
fortunate enough to be at his side at the end.
I hope to see you at the next ECTA event.
Regards,
Dave Gray
# 3611
56 Corvette

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2013, 05:44:20 AM »
Looking forward to seeing everyone and the condolences are very much appreciate. My Mother was a dear sweet lady we lost all of her going on two years ago but we lost her mind to alziemers two and one half years ago and as much as I miss her it seems that losing Dad was harder. I spent part of everyday with him the last five months of his life. His mind stayer clear until the last seven days of his life. Dave I also was with Dad when he passed, all night and the evening before he had his last struggling breath from COPD and at 8:15 I summoned my Wife, Brother and Sister and their spouses around the bed. I was on his right at the head of the bed, I leaned against the bed and hung my walking stick on the rail and unplanned and without thinking I lay my head gently of top of his head and leaned over near him and said"Daddy your family is all around you, we love you but if you are tired of fighting and are ready to go see Mother it 's okay with us" He clinched his jaw which had been sagging open and looked like the tre time decorated hero in Europe during WW11 took three breaths and he was gone, very true story.
Dave I apologize for not contacting you in a while and I miss the Corvette Racing videos you used to send. I recently added about 100 HP to it and 65 to my truck.
See everyone in about a month.
Garrell
garrell patterson

Offline bucketlist

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2013, 12:52:14 AM »
... and said"Daddy your family is all around you, we love you but if you are tired of fighting and are ready to go see Mother it 's okay with us" ...

The hospice folks helping with my father at an advanced age and with my wife's battle with cancer told us it would be a kindness to give permission like this. It is believed that awareness is the last thing to be lost after everything else is unresponsive. And it's hard to believe anything good is happening when they're only holding on because they think they must for your sake. I don't know how they measure such things, but there must be something to it. In both cases, loving permission to give up fighting and rest was all it took. I was touched by your description. You have my sincere condolences.

Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2013, 06:39:03 AM »
And you have mine as well, even though you know that they have gone to a better place with no more suffering you still miss them everyday.
garrell patterson