Author Topic: North American Eagle events  (Read 62763 times)

velocity

Re: North American Eagle events
« Reply #135 on: May 27, 2014, 01:36:22 AM »
Sigh, thank God I have never claimed to be an editor, only a writer. . .

yes, "run" not "ruin" -- nothing ominous about it.

I have been involved, part-of or have covered in-depth every absolute bid, brag and desperate hope for the last 25 years.

Ed Shadle gets my support for not other reason than tenacity and staying power to a dream he struggles to keep vibrant. Yes, there are odd bits, but he has a car, Marquardt wishes Peggy would let him "borrow" Steve's untested stallion and Ahlstrom is sniffing around for the same dollars Ed and Co. are looking to attract. Meanwhile, Rosco might just beat the whole bunch to the punch with the scary big rocket of his.

My point? This is hard. Very, very hard. The tech is the easy part, setting the record easier still. Convincing someone to pay for your speed dream? Close to impossible for the financial outlay required.

Can the NAE kick ThrustSSC's butt?

Couldn't say until I see the beast spool up past 500MPH then we will all have plenty to cogitate upon. Until then we all should help the NAE folks move forward, if by nothing else than with some patriotic encouragement. NAE could be a bit more forthcoming, but they don't have fancy PR person to spin dazzling tales.

Bloodhound has a spectacular crew of paid and unpaid pros that would stagger your mind if you paid a visit to the workshop. It did me, but I know the best secret weapon the British have is Richard Noble -- that guy can pull Kobe beef out of a grease trap.

As for Jessi doing the driving. . ., I wish to high heaven people would stop this flaming BS about men/women drivers. It is excrement of the worst odorous kind. I've got USAF Major who is as adroit at the controls of any fast jet as any of her male students -- and she fits perfectly into the FossettLSR so I am guessing she'd need padding in the NAE.

What a day it would be if American USAF Female pilot turned driver to unseat the British RAF Wing Commander.

That, boys and girls, would a stunning LSR milestone.

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #136 on: May 27, 2014, 01:47:56 AM »
FWIW there's a ?new? Bloodhound video out on their brakes.  Gizmodo.com picked up on it today, thousands of U.S. techies being indoctrinated to the other side.  :-(

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline F104A

• http://www.landspeed.com
« Reply #137 on: May 27, 2014, 01:12:20 PM »
With minimal funding we've been able to get the NAE out to 10 different testing sessions over the years. Up to this point in time we've made 44 speed runs. We began our first test runs at a local airport (Toledo/Winlock airport) then to Edwards AFB. We made three trips to El Mirage and three trips to Black Rock Desert. The last two years we ran at Alvord Dry Lake in Oregon. Every one of these tests provided data which is needed to prove whether or not we can achieve the mission of bringing the record back to North America. Our last outing at Alvord, I accelerated to the two mile marker in full military power (100% with no AB) then engaged the afterburner. At the 4.5 mile marker I had reached a speed of 515 MPH then backed out of Afterburner and began the slowdown process. I was fully stopped at the 7.5 mile point. We only had 7.8 miles available because of the wet conditions from the three days of rain that had us sitting on our butts at the camp site. With the knowledge that the car handled exactly as planned, we put Jessi in the cockpit and over the next couple days, she made 4 passes. The last two she ran a two way average over the measured mile, within 55 minutes for an average of 397 MPH and a terminal velocity of 440 MPH on the second leg. She wanted to go faster but our run plan did not call for that on this session. This fall, Jessi will go after the womens speed record of 512 MPH held by Kitty O'Neil since 1976 in the three wheel rocket car called the Motivator. Yes, I know there is no "official" catagory but it is a milestone we will use to promote the project with our eye on the absolute record very soon. As for money and  government support, Louise is correct, rich people and well funded corporations don't seem to be interested partly because we don't have the huge PR visibility that the well funded teams have available to them and our BLM is not interested in supporting this unless some money crosses some palms first. As for US volunteers crossing over to support the British, it's their choice to do so, but I hope they don't come around after we get the record and brag about the US getting the record. I'd call them hypocrites..............Ed
Ed

Offline F104A

« Reply #138 on: May 27, 2014, 01:13:27 PM »
By the way, how is the Marquardt project coming along?
Ed

Offline F104A

« Reply #139 on: June 17, 2014, 12:24:32 PM »
Getting the Eagle ready to haul to our favorite airport, tie it down and do an engine run to check for fuel leaks and other things. Getting ready for our next outing in the fall. We're also beginning our hunt for a new location. The hangar we have rented for the past 10 years has been sold and we have a couple months to get something inexpensive with enough room to get our work done. It's always something, isn't it!
Ed

Offline F104A

« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:46 PM »
Horray horray! We have a new home!  Doug LeMay, the principal owner/director of the LeMay family collection gave me the keys to one of his warehouses today.
It is plenty big, well lighted, 220 VAC, security alarm and fenced. We can start moving in any time we want. No worries mate!!!
Ed

Offline jl222

« Reply #141 on: June 18, 2014, 09:18:12 PM »
Horray horray! We have a new home!  Doug LeMay, the principal owner/director of the LeMay family collection gave me the keys to one of his warehouses today.
It is plenty big, well lighted, 220 VAC, security alarm and fenced. We can start moving in any time we want. No worries mate!!!

Great news Ed :cheers:

Best of luck and fast times.

JL222

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #142 on: June 18, 2014, 09:36:47 PM »
Is he any relation to Gen Curtis Lemay?

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #143 on: June 18, 2014, 10:11:19 PM »
http://www.lemaymuseum.org/

:cheers:

Great news, Ed!

:cheers: :cheers:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline F104A

« Reply #144 on: August 18, 2014, 02:03:20 PM »
The North American Eagle team is looking for support in making our 2014 Fall runs possible!
View this email in your browser

Fall 2014 Test Runs
Help Us on the Road to Making History
The fall runs in the Alvord desert are fast approaching and we desperately need funding to cover the logistics involved in getting our trailers, vehicles, and equipment hundreds of miles to the remote test site and providing  our team members with food and shelter during the test session.  The purpose of the runs this fall is to establish the necessary computational data so that we can make adjustments to the car to maximize its speed, prior to going for the overall Land Speed Record.  We are organizing an online fundraiser to raise the necessary funds, with some awesome perks for all of the individuals who donate.

To learn more about the campaign, visit our page on the Indiegogo website (http://igg.me/at/nae-2014runs).  Even if you cannot donate yourself, we ask that you please visit the above link and share it with your friends and family, as this is an awesome project that deserves to be shared.

Tweet
   +1
   Forward
Copyright © 2014 North American Eagle, Inc, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at one of our websites.

Our mailing address is:
North American Eagle, Inc
PO Box 636
Graham, WA 98338

Add us to your address book

unsubscribe from this list    update subscription preferences 

Email Marketing Powered by MailChimp
Ed

Offline tallguy

« Reply #145 on: August 19, 2014, 11:50:48 PM »
I donated $100 today. 

For what it's worth, I am a retired mechanical engineer with less than a thousand dollars in
total savings.  I am living on only a fixed income from Social Security.  My total net income
is less than $1400/month.

Helping Ed, Keith, and the rest of the NAE team break the Land Speed Record soon is important
to me.  I met Ed in 2009 when the North American Eagle was on display at the Redding Air Show. 
Ed was courteous and informative, and posed with me for a photo (attached).

Who else is willing to step up and help?

tallguy   (Andrew Lampenfeld, in northern California, USA)

Offline ski123

« Reply #146 on: August 22, 2014, 06:56:03 PM »
Is it just me or does anyone else wonder why NAE with 1518
Facebook likes has a driver with 210,111 FB likes and there
is nothing on her FB page.  Weird, did Ed even let her know?
Is she still part of the team? She is NAE's best available option.
How bad do you guys really want the next $47k?   Anyone.......

Offline ski123

« Reply #147 on: August 24, 2014, 11:58:15 AM »
Bump.

Offline F104A

« Reply #148 on: August 24, 2014, 02:00:59 PM »
I can't figure it out either!!!
Ed

Offline F104A

« Reply #149 on: August 29, 2014, 11:29:29 PM »
Just returned from flying down to the Alvord Desert to inspect the surface. It's pretty rough! They've had no rain since last winter so the dust seems to have created a washboard surface. At the North end of the lakebed it is wet underneath the surface due to a gully washer rain squal that hit a while back. We were going to run during the last two weeks of September but at this point in time we are going to postpone for a little while to see if it improves. Meanwhile, Bonneville has it's problems and the Burning Man got dumped on too. Mother nature is sure giving us heck this year.
Ed