Author Topic: Want a race t-shirt quilt of your very own - for $10?  (Read 6275 times)

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Want a race t-shirt quilt of your very own - for $10?
« on: July 28, 2013, 05:51:10 PM »

Here's the deal, folks.  You might remember that last spring I surprised Nancy with a quilt of our old t-shirts.  My cousin, DD Urrutia, out in a little town near Albaturkey, New Mexico, is a quilter.  I sent her a big bunch of shirts to use.  I laid 'em out on the bed and on the floor here -- so I could put them in some kind of order.  For instance, the ones with Nancy or me on the shirt -- are smack dab in the middle.  Both of the 200 MPH Clubs are near the center, too.  Some are just really cool looking -- like most of the ERC shirts with their bright colors.  One or two are from stuff we've been in, like one of our businesses (Star Industries) and the Gas-Up and Salt Talks - and so on.

So I pretty much selected what would be where.  Since the art on the shirts is NOT all the same size -- DD laid out the quilt and put spaces between each one so the whole thing ended up the size I wanted (queen size waterbed).  She even asked our favorite colors - so the spaces between shirts would be just that much cooler.  (It's green, by the way -- Nancy's choice).  She took some small bits of a few shirts -- about the size of fabric patches - and inserted them here and there.  Look for a Salt Talks patch and an ERC patch, and one from the Gas-Up and the 200 MPH Club, etc.

The entire quilt is quilted -- sewn, you know - so it's not going to fall apart or come undone (soon).  The quilting even goes so far as to "embroider" some of the words on the shirts -- adding a big of highlight (even the correct color thread to match the text right there).

Okay -- how do you get one for $10 -- especially since to get it made for you will cost about $300?  We'll sell (a maximum of) 75 tickets at Salt Talks for SpeedWeek - and another one for Salt Talks at World of Speed.  With only 75 tickets sold you'll have a pretty good chance of being the winner - way better than buying a lottery ticket.  We'll draw the winner near the end of Salt Talks - and set you up with the necessary details to get your quilt started.  By the way -- we're going to have our quilt there at Bonneville this year so you can see up close and personal just how much detail there is on  these.  It's going to be one heck of a deal for someone - and it's a nice way to raise a few bucks for landracing.com, hey?

I'm attaching a few photos, as you've probably already noticed, but the photos only give you and idea of the cool factor here.  Take a look - and plan to attend Salt Talks this year.  We're going to hold it, like we did at WoS '12, in the parking lot of the new Museum -- across from Mike Crawford's Carquest at the extreme east end of Wendover, Utah.  Be there or don't be there or be square, okay?  See you in less than two weeks.

Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Want a race t-shirt quilt of your very own - for $10?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2013, 12:20:53 PM »
Too cool!! :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2013, 01:33:17 PM »
Wow! Must be present to win?
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2013, 01:50:46 PM »
Well, the quilt raffle went over like a fart in church.  At Salt Talks we had a grand total of ten (10) tickets purchase3d - and that's far less than we needed to even break even. much less make a few bucks for the site.  So we gave back the money (or gratefully accepted the money as a donation) and gave up on the idea out there. 

But - since a bunch of youse guys have shown good interest in the concept of having your own personal quilt made -- maybe (once I'm back at the house, which will be Monday), I'll set up the raffle as a static contest. I'll sell tickets on line, like we've done for Bill Reilly's AN wrenches, and then draw a number to award the quilt.   got enough positive comments from folks that saw ny quilt out at the salt - that I know it oughta work, so I'll get the drawing stuff set up by Tuesday or so and see how it goes.

Thanks for your continuing interest in having a quilt made just for you - out of your own race t-shirts.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cereal KLR

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 05:43:13 PM »
I`m in for a couple tickets, that is really nicely done.
I thought I would die young, but now its too late.