Author Topic: Ethics among photographers professional behavior  (Read 26531 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Re: Ethics among photographers professional behavior
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2013, 11:28:52 PM »
Mrs. Midget has worked for years with professional photographers, and has a knack for catching some pretty darned good shots herself.  The first project I did when we moved into our house 20 years ago was to build her a darkroom.

One of the ultimate delights of having her as a wife and as a "teammate" is watching her get the shots she gets.  In fact, one of my favorite photos of her is her at 7:00 AM catching the sunrise at Bonneville - the photo is not up to her high standards - I took it - but she's doing something she loves at a place that I adore -

Watching her has made me keenly aware of what it takes to put together a well composed photo, especially when other people's focus is on the same thing she's trying to capture.

And a photographer's work goes largely unheralded.  Two other shots I've caught are of two very good professional photographers on the salt, doing what they do best -

Simon Davidson - working with Gene Winfield -

And, of course, Pork Pie - who I expect might be wearing a different hat this year -

I'm much more aware of photographers today than I was 25 years ago.  Their work is what fired my imagination, thumbing through Hot Rod Magazine, or Car and Driver, or Rod and Custom.  I probably wouldn't have built a car if not for photographs that influenced me early on.

Thanks to all - pros and amateurs alike, who work to really capture the essence of what we do.  I promise to stay out of your way.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Phil Bennett

• 1978 Indy 500 Pace Car
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2013, 03:19:19 AM »
Seeing as there are some mediacredited and professional photographers commenting on here thought I'd ask a quick question.  Where can you go that I can't?  I'm coming over with my wife and son and I'm a rather keen photographer of anything fast and noisy (F1, airshows, Le Mans, IoM TT, Indy car (as it was), etc) so am really looking forward to coming over.  I've hired an RV so expect to have some shots in the pits, at the start line and down the course.  But where can a media shirt/pass get you that I can't?  I certainly don't want to face the wrath of anyone, or get in the way of any shots (I'm used to looking behind me and can almost sense a camera being lifted) but do want to try and make the most of being there.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2013, 11:00:20 AM »
Phil, most of the folks taking pictures at the salt are just like you and me... regular folks taking cool memory fotos.  Yep, I've walked into shots, but I try not to, I've had folks walk into my shots... shit happens  :| There are a lot of folks taking pictures... almost everyone you see will have a camera or camera phone taking pictures of all the cool stuff. 
Press folks get to go to the tower, but they can't get closer to the track than anyone else... thus they have that great equipment that takes excellent pictures of cars going 250+ MPH from a quarter mile away. 
So everyone bring your cameras, take your memory fotos, just pay a little attention to your surroundings, don't stand in the same place for 10 minutes waiting for the crowd to clear for that perfect shot while JD is trying to move his car forward in line so the "line Nazi" doesn't yell at him. 
It is another chance to demonstrate the Golden Rule in action... :cheers:
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
Where can you go that I can't?

The general public is limited to shooting pictures from behind the starting line as the cars push off. The credentialed photographers are allowed to position in front of the starting line, in a relatively safe zone off to the side so they can get pictures as the cars push off from the line. There is considerable risk to anyone beyond the line as cars occasionally have mechanical failures or spin as they try to accelerate off the line, so no one is allowed very far from the line and near the track.

We have found that if the credentialed photographers shooting in this area, draw an imaginary line at 45 degrees from the center line of the course and take positions along that line out to about 50-100 ft from the line. Everyone has a clear view of the cars as they come off the line and also the farther from the line you are, the farther back you are from the course. On the slick salt it is surprising how violently some cars can spin and even roll over and occasionally as they spin parts come off the car, and the cars occasionally come back toward the line a ways as the driver tries to get control of them. On one occasion I saw a wheel come off a car and it traveled several hundred feet from where the car had the problem just off the line.

The credentialed photographers know to never turn their back on a car under power, and try to stay aware of what is going on around them. We also try to watch each others backs The general public tends not to pay attention to running cars and has a tendency to gradually creep forward as they each try to get a better shot than the person next to them. This is constant burden for the starting line crew as they have to frequently stop what they are doing and have the uncredentialed photographers move back behind the line where they will be much less likely to get in trouble if a car has a problem.

As I understand it, this is mostly driven by insurance and safety concerns. The crowd of photographers becomes a major problem when the high profile cars run.

People forget that many of these cars are making well over 1000 hp and running blowers, turbos and stiff loads of nitro and things do break and come off race cars in all types of racing. Landracing is no exception.

The credentialed photographers accept this risk and agree to follow various access rules.

The general public cannot drive their cars in the pit area, but the accredited photographers like the race teams can drive in the pits and on the return road between the pits and the starting line, and set up just off the return road if they follow very strict guide lines about where they position.

That is off the top of my head.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2013, 04:19:00 PM »
Last year Nancy was on the bike at the line of the long course -- leaving on her first run of the day.  The crowds always seem to be bigger than ever when the pilot is a good-looking GIRL on a fast bike -- so sure enough, they - including about a zillion photographers - was stretched out about fifty feet in front of the start line.  She spun the rear wheel and went sideways at about 45 degrees -- right towards a big bunch of spectators.  Fortunately for them - but not for her -- she high-sided and crashed before hitting the viewers.

There's proof that no one that doesn't understand what might happen should be beyond the start line.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline PorkPie

• think fast.....always
« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2013, 05:44:07 AM »
Last year Nancy was on the bike at the line of the long course -- leaving on her first run of the day.  The crowds always seem to be bigger than ever when the pilot is a good-looking GIRL on a fast bike -- so sure enough, they - including about a zillion photographers - was stretched out about fifty feet in front of the start line.  She spun the rear wheel and went sideways at about 45 degrees -- right towards a big bunch of spectators.  Fortunately for them - but not for her -- she high-sided and crashed before hitting the viewers.

There's proof that no one that doesn't understand what might happen should be beyond the start line.

Jon, I was up front of the starting line to frame Nancy with the camera....when the bike start to spun I done the camera down and run 2 yards backwards to give her more space.....

what really surprised me in this moment....with me there was only two other who moved backwards...all the other...mostly spectator with their cameras simple stayed on the place...this people wasn't aware what was going on.

and what shocked me....how much people had done picture from Nancy after she crashed...USA today mentality....

They was more interested to get a picture than to make space for the ambulance......
Pork Pie

Photoartist & Historian & 200 MPH Club Member (I/GL 202.8 mph in the orig. Bockscar #1000)

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2013, 04:05:35 PM »
[Nomex undies and firesuit on in preparation for the flames]

When I was in the military, there was a saying: "There's always that 10 percent that doesn't get the word."  At SW, it was more like 50 percent.  It was a major aggravation.  Out of frustration, I started getting shots of the more blatant "impolite" people.  (Impolite is like calling Atilla the Hun a fun-loving guy on a horse.)

SCTA provided a "Spectators' Triangle" that was supposed to allow non-credentialed photogs to get a chance to place themselves in such a way as to get a decent shot of the cars/trucks/bikes leaving the line.  Only one problem.  After the first half of the first day (more or less) it was largely ignored.  There were several of us who tried to herd the sheeple (particularly those without vests) back behind the line, but with very little success.  I've attached a photo of one of the more blatant examples.  In that shot is a woman kneeling down to get the what in her mind must be the only photo of the Speed Demon as it started an aborted record return...there was that little problem with that pesky cockpit hatch cover latch and the run was aborted before the 2.  Anyway, I (along with others) tried to shoo people back where they belonged, but her reply was very blonde-like (she must dye her hair): "It's ok.  I know the driver."   :-o

The second attached photo shows a guy who took particular exception to my efforts to get him back to the 45 degree line.  He asked if I was in charge of all the photographers in a tone of voice that suggested that I'd insulted his royal personage by a mere commoner requesting one of the royal family to scrub a toilet.  That one really pissed me off, so I showed Jim Jensen and Ron Jolliffe the shot of him and the female videographer within 10 feet of the car on either side.  At first, Jim didn't believe me...but his eyebrows raised significantly when he saw the image on the LCD of the camera.

In spite of all our efforts, there was zero crowd control...except for the Turbinator's last run.  And after the official had moved all the vested photogs back, the amateurs moved in.  The reason we were moved back was to keep us out of the danger of the turbine exhaust.  Too bad none of the amateurs' hair got toasted off. 

Several of the more experienced photographers have discussed the possibility of a 2-tier credentialing format.  Those who have been around for a while and know what to do and what not to do could, after approval, act as assistant course officials to help SCTA with the situation with newbies and tourists, etc.  I hope it gets some momentum and goes somewhere.  Tony and Chick Huntimer have offered to do what they can to start the ball rolling.  If possible, let's stand behind 'em (at a 45 degree angle, of course) and see if we can offer a solution rather than just complaining.

Last thing.  I just put my photos from SW on my server and added a section to illustrate the point: http://www.chevyasylum.com/lsr/bsf2013/01-sw/03-badmanners/Welcome.html  I realize that some of the photos in that group are possibly marginal as far as violations of media guidelines...but they serve the purpose of demonstrating that no one was trying to do anything about it...except for a few of us. 

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2013, 04:49:44 PM »
[Nomex undies and firesuit on in preparation for the flames]....Several of the more experienced photographers have discussed the possibility of a 2-tier credentialing format.....

I missed last year, but this year it seemed like every other person had on a 'press' jersey.  I think the problem ones are people who aren't land speed people and probably never read these forums.  Good luck guys......

Now off topic if anyone has a picture of our car with the chute out down-course would you please PM me.  Thanks,

Sum

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2013, 08:04:59 PM »
I don't join the crowd out in front of the line for photographing or anything - even when I'm crewing with Nancy or anyone else.  I respect the start line just as if it were made of sharpened steel teeth and bars.  The starters are kind enough to remind me if I wander too far, and being a racer I know to respect them.  too bad the spectators don't have that respect.  I take most of the photos at the line -- when the vehicle is three or four back in staging and there's no hurry and much less stress on the crew and driver/rider.  the photos are, if anything, better than the run of the mill snapshots taken at the line by those spectators -- if for no other reason that none but either the highly skilled or dang lucky get a shot that shows something of the motion or leave exhaust or something.  Is there a fence at the line - opened in the center for the racer track, but other wise there?  I think so - and people just walk around it.  Maybe it is time to put "monitors" at the ends of the fences to herd the stupid ones back to their proper areas, and nobody not wearing an accredited badge is allowed out in front of the fence.  I said badge because the green vests are easy enough to counterfit - not that lots of folks would even bother.  And if it were announced at the drivers meeting that photography won't be allowed from in front of the fence, and that teams and crews are invited to enforce the rule -- maybe that'd help.  Any other ways to keep 'em in line?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2013, 08:39:49 PM »
[Nomex undies and firesuit on in preparation for the flames]....Several of the more experienced photographers have discussed the possibility of a 2-tier credentialing format.....

I missed last year, but this year it seemed like every other person had on a 'press' jersey.  I think the problem ones are people who aren't land speed people and probably never read these forums.  Good luck guys......

Now off topic if anyone has a picture of our car with the chute out down-course would you please PM me.  Thanks,

Sum

Hi bro.  First, I wish I could tell ya that I had a chute shot, but I don't.  Pork Pie may have one.

Next, as I understand it, each team gets a Press vest.  No qualification as a motorsport photographer required, just buy a digital camera and yer off to the races, so to speak.  I dunno how many times I've been lectured at media rep meetings about behavior on pit road or near the track...but I know many of the people there didn't have a clue. 

Enuff sed.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2013, 09:02:16 PM »
I don't join the crowd out in front of the line for photographing or anything - even when I'm crewing with Nancy or anyone else.  I respect the start line just as if it were made of sharpened steel teeth and bars.  The starters are kind enough to remind me if I wander too far, and being a racer I know to respect them.  too bad the spectators don't have that respect. 

Amen!  Just as (in my mind) it should be.

I take most of the photos at the line -- when the vehicle is three or four back in staging and there's no hurry and much less stress on the crew and driver/rider.  the photos are, if anything, better than the run of the mill snapshots taken at the line by those spectators -- if for no other reason that none but either the highly skilled or dang lucky get a shot that shows something of the motion or leave exhaust or something.  Is there a fence at the line - opened in the center for the racer track, but other wise there?  I think so - and people just walk around it. 

Bulls-eye.  It's not a fence, but yellow tape...same thing that's supposed to keep people from wandering into the staging lanes.  And yes, people walk around it, over it, under it or break it.  I have to cross it if I wanna get shots down course a hundred feet or so...but I'm wearing a vest and watching the other photogs.  I've heard complaints about the people who set up Easy-Ups along the staging lane, right up to the start line.  I dunno what to say about that other than to note that some folks don't were bothered by it.

Maybe it is time to put "monitors" at the ends of the fences to herd the stupid ones back to their proper areas, and nobody not wearing an accredited badge is allowed out in front of the fence.  I said badge because the green vests are easy enough to counterfit - not that lots of folks would even bother.  And if it were announced at the drivers meeting that photography won't be allowed from in front of the fence, and that teams and crews are invited to enforce the rule -- maybe that'd help.  Any other ways to keep 'em in line?

These may all be good ideas.  I hate to admit it, but I've counterfeited/faked vests and wristbands and jumped fences at other venues.  Not often....but...well it was a long time ago and...never mind.  It's not the folks with vests that I found to be the big problem.  It's the spectators/tourists.  The only way I know of to control that element is with people dedicated to that task.

Check the attached photo.  Three photographers, none of whom have vests and one guy brought his own cushion to sit on.  All of 'em in front of the starting line.  And an official chatting with someone in the lane.  Another wonna them "I shudder to think" deals...the guy sitting on the cushion is at a serious disadvantage when it comes to moving in a hurry.  These are the people that could cause a distinct liability issue for SCTA-BNI.  I'd hate to see that.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2013, 11:19:58 PM »
Just thought I would quote this for future reference:

Re: SpeedWeek 2013 - the event
superleggera
« Reply #745 on: Today at 06:13:36 PM »

Reply with quoteQuote
Quote from: RayTheRat on August 25, 2013, 05:28:51 PM
On the last day of the meet I heard that someone blew the valve cover clean off the motor in his car at the line.  If there had been some untrained and otherwise un-credentialed photographer (or worse, his/her kid) too close...well, I don't even wanna think of what could happen.

Ardun head equipped roadster on return run upon startup.  I was behind the line waiting with another competitor to pull forward to go down #1.  If this was on course #2 earlier in the week with the usual crowd, someone would have gotten dinged mightily.  Fortunately nobody was there this time.

One credentialed photographer almost got drove over on #2 earlier in the week.  He was directly behind the competition car that took off -- and down in front of the crew truck taking pictures not realizing the crew would follow immediately.  Fortunately another photographer stopped the crew truck from driving over him but they did knock him over...

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2013, 12:17:01 PM »
Ray;

"Bulls-eye.  It's not a fence, but yellow tape...same thing that's supposed to keep people from wandering into the staging lanes.  And yes, people walk around it, over it, under it or break it. "

Maybe we need an electric fence. Something needs to be done to keep people out of areas where they could be hurt or even killed if the worst happens.

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2013, 02:22:37 PM »
Over the years there has always been problems with the media and their attitude. They seem to think the rules are for others not them. I had to have some escorted off the track a couple of times and none had a CB or anyway of knowing who or what was coming, one had drove out to within 25 feet of the course and set up his operation. Took a few minutes to get him out and off the track. Also he had a language problem. The media has to show respect to the racing assoc's just like anyone racing. It's for everyones safety.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2013, 04:51:01 AM »
Over the years there has always been problems with the media and their attitude. They seem to think the rules are for others not them. I had to have some escorted off the track a couple of times and none had a CB or anyway of knowing who or what was coming, one had drove out to within 25 feet of the course and set up his operation. Took a few minutes to get him out and off the track. Also he had a language problem. The media has to show respect to the racing assoc's just like anyone racing. It's for everyones safety.

Yes, Glen, there are some big egos walking around with vests and (usually) video cameras.  I don't know what seems to create that mindset....maybe it's the "creative artist" mind or something like that. 

On the other hand, there are some media folks who are LSR enthusiasts first and photographers/videographers second.  Not to mention experienced in motorsports photography.  Bonneville Bill, Pork Pie, Dan Kaplan, Tony Huntimer, Ralph Komives...and so on.  We (I'm gonna include myself in this group) have a clue about 1) etiquette and 2) safety.  I had to laugh when I read about the guy who got knocked over by the push truck.  "Anything for a good shot."  I've had my own share of close calls, but I've never forgotten the rule I was taught early on: never turn your back on a race car or support vehicle.  At least you can see what's gonna hit ya.  :)

Here's one of the "close calls: http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2010/20100606/vwtdicrash/Crash%2015_jpg.html

The whole "close call" is here:  http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2010/20100606/vwtdicrash/Welcome.html

And there are several shots of a "gravel shower" here: http://www.chevyasylum.com/racing/racing2010/20100912/pix/20100912%201262_jpg.html

But at all times, I was where I was supposed to be (behind the armco) and never turned my back on the cars/track.