Author Topic: Cell phone service  (Read 6571 times)

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Cell phone service
« on: June 17, 2006, 02:41:13 PM »
My sprint phone sucks at El Mirage and is useless anywhere north of Vegas. Who has good service at EM and Bonni? I want to stop using our FM 2way radios for communication from streamliner to chase truck and want to use cell phones. Who gets good service and what kind of phone do ya have?
yours in sport
Kent

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
Cell phone service
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2006, 03:15:25 PM »
I've gotten decent service on the salt with Verizon.  Not great, but decent.  The only problem I've had there is when I'm in Nevada I get charged roaming  because they consider it Utah.  The plan I have I get all calls free in Nevada.  The newer nationwide plans would take care of that.

Offline Bob Beatty

Cell phone service
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2006, 03:34:28 PM »
My Nextel works at Bonneville.
Bob Beatty

There is no such thing as too much horsepower
 338.954 MPH
 B/BFL

Offline OhioFatboy

Cell phone service
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006, 04:35:25 PM »
kent, my nextel works at bonneville guess i'll find out in july if it works at el mirage!

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Cell phone service
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006, 06:01:07 PM »
I have T-Mobile and calling Riverside fro EM has never been a problem.  But when it comes to cell phones and the like I'm a bit of a Forrest Gump.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

landracing

Cell phone service
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006, 07:24:27 PM »
Both Verizon and Tmobile have worked great at Bonneville. NO COMPLAINTS... Only complaint I have is not much service by the way of Wyoming going thru,,, but do you blame them for not wanting to put towers in Wyoming...

As for the cell phone roaming charge on verizon, turn the phone off and back on and it will locate new towers and not charge roaming. There is a couple key strokes to do this also I just cant remember at this time.

Jon

Offline Bob Drury

phones
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006, 07:27:45 PM »
My Sprint works excellent on the salt and all the way from Vancouver.  No problems, and no roaming.  Maybee you should talk to Sprint..........
Bob Drury

Offline ack

Re: Cell phone service
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2006, 08:59:36 PM »
Quote from: 1212FBGS
My sprint phone sucks at El Mirage and is useless anywhere north of Vegas. Who has good service at EM and Bonni? I want to stop using our FM 2way radios for communication from streamliner to chase truck and want to use cell phones. Who gets good service and what kind of phone do ya have?
yours in sport
Kent

Kent Verizon works good all over the salt.  You need a amplified cell phone to aviation headset adapter (about $100) for the liner and need to adapt it to the race helmet set. Molded earplugs and a high quality noise canceling mike are necessity's in the cockpit.

It's duplex communication so you don't have to press to talk and we will be using a conferencing service so that all of our wind checkers and crew at the other end will be able to all be on together.  Just make sure the crew shuts up unless there is something important to say.

Call me Monday if you want more info on the setup.

Offline Freud

Salt Cell Service
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2006, 12:30:16 AM »
it seems to me that the dude to listen to is ACK. He's got his ducks in a row and has replaced the "I think"  with "I've done it."

Just one more notch in the Ack Attack belt. I expect tremendous success for them this year, whether it's on private time or at some meet.

Excellent feedback, Mike.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline sodbuster

Cell phone service
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2006, 12:55:24 PM »
Cingular works great on the salt for me. I have called many buddy's back in the mid-west and said "Listen to this".........that was over 300mph. They seem to hang up the phone after I call, I am not sure why.

Chris Nelson
Kansas
A Devil with A Hammer & Hell with A Torch

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Cell phone service
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2006, 01:40:13 PM »
Chris -- Now you've got the right idea.  I try to call the office when I'm at the start line, and allow the noise of a motor starting up to "interrupt" me.  It helps point out to those who are back at the office that I'm not!

Our phone service is from Cellular One -- my phone's a GSM model, and it works fine at the Salt.  As for Jon's comments about some places not having towers -- the map I got from Cell. One shows narrow strips of service in lots of places -- paralleling the interstates, mostly.  Stay on I-80 and it works all the time.  Go off the superslab -- nah-dah.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Cell
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2006, 02:30:02 PM »
I have Verizon nd have had for several years, works well on the salt.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline fastesthonda_jim

• Ready to Rock 2003
Cell phone service
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2006, 06:04:22 PM »
Kent,

I use Verizon and my cell phone works well all over B'ville.  And it works pretty good at Mirage, sometimes taking a moment or two to find a signal though.

And I have a Verizon Air Card for my notebook computer.  At B'ville I've used it to download software changes from the factory when I'm trouble shooting some issue with my ignition/injector system.  It's REAL handy sometimes.

BTW, if you have time to talk on the phone during a run you need to up the boost..... or run NOS....or somethin'!  Next thing you know you'll be watching Oprah.
2006 SCTA High Points Champeen
2006 Dirty "2" Wrench Of The Year
Bonneville "2" Club 2003
El Mirage Dirty "2"'s 2006
Bonneville Records: G/GS, F/GS (Boy)  G/FS (Girl)
El Mirage Records: F/BFS, F/FS, F/GS, I/FS, I/GS, K/BGS
FIA Records A, II, 8
Unlimited License
300mph line qualified (305.129 best mile speed)
The older half of San Diego's Fastest Couple
2016 Man of Distinction Award
DLRA 2019 Top Speed of The Meet (309.438 Mile - 323.3 GPS)

bak189

Cell phone service
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2006, 11:25:13 PM »
Hey Kent....Verizon