Author Topic: Motorcycle tech check list  (Read 4131 times)

Jessechop

Motorcycle tech check list
« on: July 26, 2013, 08:59:15 AM »
Just wanted to post a few things I have noticed repeatedly in tech to hopefully make things smoother for all involved. In no way am I saying anyone has been wrong on whatever, just some things to smooth it out.

#1. LOG BOOKS!!!! Bring your log book! I know one bike I have personally teched at 2 seperate events with a new book each time. This dosnt do you any good! The book is intended for several main purposes. One being that if you sell the bike the book goes with it as a history of the bike. That's why all of the neat stuff like notes, speeds, etc are great to fill out afterthe event. Secondly if there is a log book entry for something tech related  it allows tech to see this. If you have a new log book everytime it really defeats the purpose! (i.e. chain guard a 1" too short so tech writes in lengthen chain guard for next event) Have your log book filled out. For new guys, fill out the front page the best you can while at the track. Go to event page, fill that out the best you can. Where it says Loring, Bonneville, etc. It is always going to be Loring. I am happy you raced at Bonneville, however for this given moment in time it dosnt matter. Fill all of that out. Go back to your pit, take your time. I will personally stay as long as needed to get your bike teched. I will find the signatures you need, don't worry about time. We have all night if needed. Now you are ready for signatures

#2. Signatures. All new bikes need at least 2 signatures. Yes that person is looking for the same thing as the previous guy. Sorry, we cant take your word. This is for safety, thus why all of us need to see the tire code, thus why we all want to see the forks go stop to stop, and so on.

Bikes under 150 that are returning to Loring 1 signature, new bike 2 signature
150-175 2 signatures
175 up is 3 signatures

#3. Gear. Helmets MUST be  Snell M 2005 or 2010. if you know where the Snell tag is on the inside of the helmet, have it ready for us, we need to see it! Make sure it gets a helmet sticker put on it. We are human, sometimes we forget. Back protector, have to have one over 175. Rest is pretty self explanatory.

#4. Turn signals, remove them! Tail lights, generally speaking they can stay, however I prefer that they are removed. Plates, remove them. Grab handles, remove them if possible. Mirrors, remove them. See where I am going with this. That's all common stuff that gets handed out as "trophies". Remove it before it falls off. No one wants to hit part of your bike.

Those are the things I see repeatedly. Again, not calling anyone out or saying this is all wrong. Merely just suggestions to make it all go smoother  for all involved. Remember, “don’t be a dick and we can make it happen”

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Re: Motorcycle tech check list
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 10:32:23 AM »
When I tech bikes at Maxton - we've come up with a solution to un-filled-out logbooks that are presented when the bike finally gets to the inspection point.  It's simple:  Oh, your paperwork isn't filled out?  Get out of line, go fill it out, then get back in line -- at the end of the line.  Next time have the paperwork done so everyone else doesn't have to wait for you.

That almost always solved the problem.  We'd walk down the line of bikes waiting to be inspected and tell the owners/riders/crew that the paperwork has to be filled out before presenting for inspection.  Ergo - no excuse if the paperwork isn't ready. 

Most folks needed only once to learn to have it ready on time.  At Bville the safety garb inspection is about 100 feet BEFORE the rest of inspection, and that's also where you'll get asked to have your paperwork ready -- since the inspectors need to not only see your gear but to sign off in the book for that stuff.  That gives the rider/crew/owner plenty of time to get the paperwork done.

Remember:  "Unh, no paperwork?  Get outa line!"
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Jessechop

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 11:15:20 AM »
When I tech bikes at Maxton - we've come up with a solution to un-filled-out logbooks that are presented when the bike finally gets to the inspection point.  It's simple:  Oh, your paperwork isn't filled out?  Get out of line, go fill it out, then get back in line -- at the end of the line.  Next time have the paperwork done so everyone else doesn't have to wait for you.

That almost always solved the problem.  We'd walk down the line of bikes waiting to be inspected and tell the owners/riders/crew that the paperwork has to be filled out before presenting for inspection.  Ergo - no excuse if the paperwork isn't ready. 

Most folks needed only once to learn to have it ready on time.  At Bville the safety garb inspection is about 100 feet BEFORE the rest of inspection, and that's also where you'll get asked to have your paperwork ready -- since the inspectors need to not only see your gear but to sign off in the book for that stuff.  That gives the rider/crew/owner plenty of time to get the paperwork done.

Remember:  "Unh, no paperwork?  Get outa line!"

I like it, but it would violate my don't be a dick policy. I really cant enforce it if I don't participate.......on second thought  :-)

Offline bak189

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2013, 11:23:46 AM »
"QUESTION AUTHORITY..............................................QUESTION AUTHORITY.............ALWAYS.........
Question authority.....always

Offline Chris08Bus

• The most fun you can have with your pants on!
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2013, 12:01:21 PM »
As a rook at the Maine Event, I'd like to say that the three guys that teched my bike were very professional and were willing to work with me, Jesse being one of them.  One of the things that I noticed was many of the riders were getting in the way of the inspectors.  The general rule I practiced in tech was "don't speak unless spoken to".  That seemed to work well and allowed the inspector to efficiently inspect my machine, annotate my log book, and move on to the next guy.  It's all about being prepared and courteous.

As far as questioning authority goes in the land speed racing community, I think that attitude is completely out of line.  But again, I'm just a rookie.

Jessechop

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2013, 01:01:57 PM »
And from what I recall the teching of Chris's bike was painless. Honestly I don't remember Chris's bike, which is a good thing. If I remembered then there was a issue. That's why I recall Greg Neals bike so well  :-D Kidding of course. 

With that said nothing I say is "approved by the LTA". It is approved by me. Tim, Joe, whoever will get ahold of me if I cross some line I am sure.  I always look for ways to streamline things, make them less painful and in general go smoother. These are just suggestions to make the teching of YOUR bike go better.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2013, 03:15:44 PM »
Let me lighten what I said about "If the paperwork ain't done, get out of line".  I don't mean to sound really cranky, but sometimes it was necessary to be firm.  That is -- imagine ten bikes waiting in the hot sun and you are in front of the line, it finally being your turn after you waited for the ten that were in front of you.  They moved along, taking 5 - 10 minutes per bike.  Then you get there and your paperwork isn't done.  If I let you fill it in while the others wait, and then when you hand it to me I see that you didn't fill out all of it -- just the log book, perhaps, and not today's registration sheet, and then when you get that done and I ask to see your helmet and your leathers and you ask permission to go to your pit 'cause you don't have them with you. . . see where I'm going? 

Sometimes it's not nearly that bad, of course, and you've got the front page filled out in your logbook 'cause you've had it for a while, and all you didn't do was fill in the reg. sheet -- I won't kick your butt out for that.  And it's not me.  I could name a good size group of other inspectors that won't cut you too much slack -- especially if you've gone through inspection in the past and showed up without completed paperwork then, too.

Reasonable.  I want you to race just as much as you do, and I'll bend over backwards - take the metal valve stem covers off my bike or my safety wire pliers and wire and even a drill and 1/16ths bit if you need 'em -- but come on -- you ain't the only one here that's anxious to get in line.  Let everyone have a chance, not just you.

Quod Erat Demonstrandum.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2013, 05:24:52 PM »
Our first go around at the LTA July event was most enjoyable.  Being a rookie at that track, I thought all the tech guys were conscientious, and helpful even when I was one of those guys that didn't have my books totally filled out correctly.  The rookie orientation of the track by Joe & Tim was most excellent !  If you payed attention - you knew what to look for and where to go.
The staging lanes with the two hot boxes is a super idea, that really ran smoothly.  It's a 2900 mi. round trip for us - and we are planning on doing it again in the spring. 
A great 1 & 1/2 mi. track with good friends new & old, and oh ya - the food was great  !   Hard to find good lobstah rolls in Chi.    :-D

Looking forward    :cheers:
Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Jessechop

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2013, 08:41:40 PM »
Our first go around at the LTA July event was most enjoyable.  Being a rookie at that track, I thought all the tech guys were conscientious, and helpful even when I was one of those guys that didn't have my books totally filled out correctly.  The rookie orientation of the track by Joe & Tim was most excellent !  If you payed attention - you knew what to look for and where to go.
The staging lanes with the two hot boxes is a super idea, that really ran smoothly.  It's a 2900 mi. round trip for us - and we are planning on doing it again in the spring. 
A great 1 & 1/2 mi. track with good friends new & old, and oh ya - the food was great  !   Hard to find good lobstah rolls in Chi.    :-D

Looking forward    :cheers:
Jimbo
[/quote

You had a freebie, on several accounts. Most importantly we all liked your bikes  :-D

Offline roadracer

• TLN Motorsports/KWS/Brock's/DCW/Vortex/WWB
    • TLN Motorsports
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2013, 11:21:56 AM »
Loring tech has been painless.  Joe Daly, as always, has it under control and I enjoy being an inspector.  You get to meet all of the new bike riders and catch up with the ones you know.  As far as inspecting my bike, Good Luck...lol.  truth is I have never had any issues.  The key is simply to prepare the bike and tripple check it.  Know if an inspector questions something it is for good reason.  If I see something not covered in the rule book I will make a suggestion to you, but it is up to you if you take it.  Remember we are there to get you down the track safely, not keep you from racing.  All of that said I wish you all a safe and fast Harvest event.  I'll not have any bikes ready to run by then.  With luck we will run late Sept in Ohio.  The ZX-10R will be back after the July crash.  Looking forward to getting on it.
2006 Kawasaki ZX-6rr (Worlds Fastest standing mile and 1.5 mile)
2008 Kawasaki ZX-10R (4 200 MPH Clubs)
2008 Kawasaki EX-250R (Multiple ECTA and LTA records)
131 Land Speed Records set since 2008
125 Land Speed Racing records (including 3 Worlds Fastest Speeds) set since 2008.