Author Topic: Newbie with a '59 AH Sprite  (Read 19259 times)

Offline warspite

• New folks
Newbie with a '59 AH Sprite
« on: July 22, 2013, 04:06:51 PM »
This weekend I'm dragging this '59 Austin Healey Sprite home.  It has been a racecar since the early 70's...set up for autocross and road courses. But I want to take it to the salt in a few years.  It has a race prepped 1100cc engine.

The current owner says it runs, but no doubt it needs allot to get it into shape for a run on the salt.  Anyway, I ordered a rule book to go through and see what I need to do to it to make it legal in the most appropriate class.

I've worked on cars with my dad since I was old enough to hold a wrench.  However, my knowledge wouldn't fill a thumble, so I'm sure I'll ask a ton of questions.

Anyway, I can't wait to get it home and get to work on it.

Offline jacksoni

Re: Newbie with a '59 AH Sprite
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
At first glance besides the obvious roll bar/cage issues, it will be in  H/MS as the headlights etc are removed glassed over or something. For fun, you might look at the build diary for the Bonneville Bugeye. I had a hand it it's construction. You might contact Udo (Hotschue) as he has had a fair amount of experience with similar.
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 05:08:19 PM »
I don't even know where to begin on this one.

:cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline jacksoni

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 05:27:06 PM »
I don't even know where to begin on this one.

Aw, com'on. I think you may have some minor info to add.  :roll: Sorry sort of forgot about you in my prior response. Would you say he has a ways to go? :cheers:
Jack Iliff
 G/BGS-250.235 1987
 G/GC- 193.550 2021
  G/FAlt- 193.934 2021 (196.033 best)
 G/GMS-182.144 2019

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 05:40:19 PM »
Hey, his might run - that's a whole lot further down the road than I was when I started on my Spridget.

Welcome aboard, warspite -

I've got your back . . .

Offline warspite

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 07:08:33 PM »
Thanks MM, I've read about 30 pages on your build so far.  Nice to have a trailblazer!

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2013, 07:27:00 PM »
We know you ain't seen the Rule Book yet -- but there's a 20 to 30 MPH record difference between leaving the headlights on or smoothing them off (GT vs. GMS).  We're sure it will be interesting reading when you get one. And I bet you can count on Milwaukee Midget to help interpret it.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2013, 08:02:02 PM »
Thanks MM, I've read about 30 pages on your build so far.  Nice to have a trailblazer!

The dust hasn't settled yet, and I'm still working with a machete through this forest.  :wink: 

PM me if you have any questions.

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 08:17:57 PM »
Chris (The Milwaukee Midget) is going to crucify me for saying this but! If you decide to run in "modified sports" sell the boat anchor to Chris and put a late model "crotch rocket" motor in it. The upper limit for the H class is 1500 ccs so a Hayabusa would be just about right and they start at 180 hp+ before you do anything to them with 5-600 possible with a hair dryer.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 08:41:21 PM »
Rex, you are right, and quite honestly, you can build a hi-zoot 'busa for less than I've got in my tractor motor.

Modified Sport would be a good starting point for a car that's already modified, but you'll want to stretch the wheelbase - that's a 205 record with a blower on gas, and an 80 inch wheelbase could get twitchy.  :-o

Offline Texican

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 09:46:55 PM »
Rex, you are right, and quite honestly, you can build a hi-zoot 'busa for less than I've got in my tractor motor.

Modified Sport would be a good starting point for a car that's already modified, but you'll want to stretch the wheelbase - that's a 205 record with a blower on gas, and an 80 inch wheelbase could get twitchy.  :-o

Stretching the W/B is certainly a great option; might keep you off your head.
However: modifying that unibody that was stamped from the Schlitz beer cans left there by our GIs in WW II might be a real trick.
 Find a weldor that works with exhaust tubing .

Probably just build a tube frame and set the tin body on it.
Jim

g

Offline warspite

• New folks
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 10:22:35 PM »
Well, I do have a running tractor motor for the car if needed....(just posting this pic for fun....my other project)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
Ooooh - a Farmall A-Series!

Now THAT's a TRACTOR!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2013, 04:02:33 AM »
Ooooh - a Farmall A-Series!

Now THAT's a TRACTOR!

The depth of knowledge within this group never fails to amaze me!  :roll: :roll: :-D

Pete

Offline fordboy628

• GONE FISHIN' . . .
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2013, 01:05:24 PM »
This weekend I'm dragging this '59 Austin Healey Sprite home.  It has been a racecar since the early 70's...set up for autocross and road courses. But I want to take it to the salt in a few years.  It has a race prepped 1100cc engine.
Anyway, I can't wait to get it home and get to work on it.

Hello Warspite and welcome to the forum.   If your location permits attending Speedweek, you might consider attending & checking out the Milwaukee Midget's I/GT MG Midget.

Reading through his whole build diary (Yes, all 189 pages) will prove useful as well, at least you'll know what you're in for.

Race-prepped 1100 eh?  My advice is to strip it down to bare bones to determine just what it is, and, what condition it is in.   Don't trust that it will "probably be OK to run".   Better to find out any bad news on a teardown, than to drive over broken parts.  Just my 2 cents . . . . . . .

Choose your engine displacement & class wisely, so you are not @ the bottom of possible performance in a displacement bracket/class.   LSR is tough enough, you don't need to smack your head against a concrete wall too . . . . . . .      Again, just my 4 cents . . . . . .
Fordboy
Science, NOT Magic . . . .

I used to be a people person.  But people changed that relationship.

"There is nothing permanent except change."    Heraclitus

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."     Albert Einstein