Author Topic: Lug nut and Aluminum wheel question.  (Read 20844 times)

Offline interested bystander

Re: Lug nut and Aluminum wheel question.
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2013, 10:26:01 PM »
Are you sure the 3/8 bolts weren't capturing a spindle mount hub for either Anglia or early Ford spindles.

Sure looks like that to me!

Very common in the industry for spindle mount front wheels BUT NOT DRIVE wheels.
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline xxobuick

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2013, 10:29:53 PM »
I will get photos tomorrow of cars running with simple tapered lug nuts seating on the aluminum.

Also a wheel bolted to a hub is esentally just that and the rule book states all non ferrous wheels that are bolted.

Offline NathanStewart

« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2013, 10:30:50 AM »
Those are spindle mounts. Others that passed tech with lug nuts directly to wheels probably had a speed limit (I did this for at least one car).  Would you rather pass tech without exception or have a speed limit?  Competitors choice.
El Mirage 200 MPH Club Member

Offline ronnieroadster

« Reply #33 on: August 21, 2013, 08:40:53 PM »
 If I understand correctly all aluminum wheels need a steel plate under the mounting lug nuts. Since the wheels I want to run on my lakester are factory production Ford held down by a tapered lug nut I was planing on holding the wheels on by using one inch hex lug nuts. The wheels are the ones used for the spare tires on the Mustang GT they are spun aluminum disks with a series of holes around the outer face and are welded to the aluminum rim completly.  The studs I use are long so adding a steel plate above the lug nuts is possible. But adding this plate and five more nuts above the existing nuts could possibly add a balance problem at speed. Is that the proper way to mount these aluminum wheels?
   Ronnieroadster
Working in the shop I use the 'F' word a lot. No not that word these words Focus and Finish go Fast and Flathead Ford!
 ECTA  XF/BGRMR Record 179.8561
 LTA    XF/BGRMR  Record 200.921 First  Ever Ford Flathead Roadster to hit 200 MPH burning gasoline July 2018
 SCTA  XF/BGRMR Record 205.744  First gas burning Ford flathead powered roadster to top 200 MPH at Bonneville August 7, 2021 top speed 219.717
 SCTA  XXF/BGRMR Record 216.131 plus a Red Hat
"Life Member of the Bonneville 200 MPH Club"

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #34 on: September 30, 2013, 12:50:00 AM »
A sample of what actually passes tech at speed week.  5, 3/8 bolts holding on the wheel.  Also many cars racing that hat taper seat lug nuts only.
    t

That is a picture of my front wheel. If you do not understand what you are looking at ask. That is a Centerline SPINDLE MOUNT wheel. IE it does not have lug nuts or studs. Before you spew BS on here maybe you should take the time to have someone explain to you how something is done outside of your narrow scope of experience.  Vince Norton
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline Roadster943

« Reply #35 on: September 30, 2013, 12:59:14 AM »
Are you sure the 3/8 bolts weren't capturing a spindle mount hub for either Anglia or early Ford spindles.

Sure looks like that to me!

Very common in the industry for spindle mount front wheels BUT NOT DRIVE wheels.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                     You are correct Ford spindles. The Anglia's are to small, IMO for what I am doing.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 01:30:28 AM by Roadster943 »
Land Speed Racing, The sheer joy of spending every dime you've got racing for nothing but glory. David Freiburger

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2013, 01:08:06 PM »
Ronnieroadster: That's what I do and have done for years. An additional plate with lugs holding it on using the flat side down. I do it on tire/wheel combinations under and over 29".

It was mandentory on what were called "milk truck wheels" 18" with 30" tires back in the 50's. Those wheels were known to have oversize holes......Good Luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro