Author Topic: Thinking about the unthinkable  (Read 17336 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
Thinking about the unthinkable
« on: July 20, 2013, 12:16:05 PM »
Let me be brutally honest – What’s going to happen with the rest of the team if I die racing?

Bill Warner’s death has got me thinking about how a team handles the death or severe injury of a racer.  We reserve hotel rooms, we plan for tech inspection, we plan for strategy and shift points, but what plan do we have in place if I leave the salt before my car or my team?

The thought of Kate checking the rear view mirror and seeing a wrecked race car on a trailer for 1500 miles doesn’t set well with me.

Does everyone on the team have the necessary phone numbers, if calls need to be made?

What does SCTA-BNI bring to the table in this type of event, and what can we do on our end to have in place a plan that dovetails with their procedures?

I guess this is a gut check thread.  I’ll be brainstorming with the team members in the next few days, and I’d encourage others to do the same.

So here it is – the discussion nobody ever wants to have.  I don’t want to turn this into a recounting of bad experiences – instead, I’d like open it up to ideas and procedures others have in place, and let this thread provide a resource to all of us for what we’d really rather not talk about.

Thanks.  See you on the salt.

Chris 
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 1leg

Re: Thinking about the unthinkable
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2013, 12:42:05 PM »
This should be a good thread and should be made into a sticky at the top.

I'm in the planning and building phase of my first LSR, (mostly planning)

I have given this some thought as my wife has no interest in going to these races with me so other than a few friends that may come up to give a hand; i will more or less be on my own. I plan to only run at El Mirage(2hrs away) and i do have a few friends that would drop everything and come to my rescue, and they have the means to pick up a totaled race car and tow it home. My guess is that the SCTA will also impound the wreck for investigation. This should also be discussed at the club level, I would think the clubs can put together a rescue or care team that would help a wrecked racer, I’m sure this is how it has been handled in most cases.
Jerry
SDRC Member since 2013

As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
Psalm 27:17

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2013, 01:19:27 PM »
  One thing I have thought about doing is having each crew member fill out the same Medical Form that I do as a participant.
  With that in mind, I would put them in a file folder with the copies of my entry and Log Book.
  I would also suggest that a basic living will pertaining to life ending events could be attached to the Medical Form.
  John and Rose Hanson own the large, safe and well secured storage complex (south of the Rainbow) where the SCTA stores its trailer and in a worst case scenario have both indoor and outdoor storage.  They really were great to deal with during one of my more recent "disasters".
  Also, how many entrants have a "real" First Aid Kit, Eye wash solution, latex gloves and large bandages with you?  How about extra fire extinguishers in your pits?
  If you don't already have a "take along" list, now is the time to do it because buying "it" in Wendover isn't always a option.
                                                                      Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Malcolm UK

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 02:19:16 PM »
Perhaps all racers involved in the sport should consider their entry into any event just as if they were an overseas racer (let's say UK) taking part in a single vehicle speed record attempt, on private time, with just a safety crew and ambulance on standby.

What I mean is that for some US racers that is what you are already doing.  Leaving loved ones at home, travelling thousands of miles to a hostile environment, to be helped by volunteer people, attempting to travel fast.  For this pre-planning for the worst is necessary.

For the (I was going to name them) team our adminstration created two ring binder A4 sized folders and these were known about and available to certain senior team members when at the attempt course.  These peoples duties were unlikely to place them in a personal life threatening position/role when the vehicle was running. But we had more than one so even that risk was dealt with.

Each and every team member agreed to supply a photograph along with their medical details on any pre-existing conditions and prescribed drugs being taken (I do not know what else is on a US medical form but use that), as well as the name(s), contact telephone numbers, for next of kin (or people who had to be informed). This was not just for the person most exposed to risk - the driver. These pages were kept in the folder. Who might have had to make the telephone call(s) was decided before the attempt took place and we did have phones that could make that international call.

I would suggest that one of the senior team members not closely involved in the bid is always selected to attend to a drivers spouse/partner/close friend, should the worst happen. We did, with back up - hence I chose not to name the team.

Thankfully with all this preparation, no one has needed comforting and no call was ever made.

As was written before, the sanctioning body may take control of the vehicle or a law officer or a coroner could do the same, but at some stage the team would need to know how to get the vehicle back to some selected location - the details of how to go about it go into the folder.

Whilst many in this sport have to race on their own resources ............. I have found that major sponsors will have produced a book where they list the actions they will take should the person they sponsor be injured or worse and how any media contacts are dealt with. 

The event organisers - if the event is actually of that type and not private - will probably have something planned and prepared to deal with requests from news personnel.  With modern, almost instantaneous communication with the 'outside' world (through so called social networking), anyone with a camera phone and cell could let news reach the farthest corner of the planet within minutes (no longer hours), so the team have to be prepared for that too. Speed may have to be of the essence, so once again plan for that and if necessary some of the folder details may have to be pre-loaded into a cell phone, rather than just be available on the pages. [Yes, that was done for one of the attempts].

For those wishing to have any further information I can be reached in person thanks to Landracing.com. 

Malcolm Pittwood
Speed record attempt organiser / Record Team administrator. 

Malcolm UK, Derby, England.

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 06:02:58 PM »
It might be useful to also consider the long standing tradition in some military units to write a sealed (hope you don't have to read this) letter for next of kin.

There are often things we mean to say that go unsaid, perhaps because we are too embarrassed or superstitious to go there when times are good.

Another person on one of these similar threads a year or two ago, mentioned the idea of putting key medical information on a small USB drive and putting it on a neck chain. The medical folks could simply plug the USB drive in a computer at the hospital and have literally pages of useful medical history at their finger tips.

EMT's and rescue personal are trained to look for "medical alert" bracelets or neck medallions anyway, so if the USB drive was marked with the universal medical alert symbols they would know what its intent was.

Be sure to use a widely supported document format such as PDF or RTF or JPG or PNG images that any computer can read for those documents.

The USB drive could also be "sealed" with tape that would have to be cut to expose its contents and also protect the drive. Clearly mark the drive or SD chip and let the other crew members know about it so they can ensure the medical people know about it.

You might also want to talk to your doctor about what medical info such a medical alert data storage device should contain to assist emergency medical personnel.

Larry

Offline JimL

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 06:29:53 PM »
Notes from experience, addressing emergency room visits and serious injury:
- A living will may not be honored at some hospitals or in some states when you are traveling.  The admissions desk has multiple tasks, and one of them is finances.  This is something you cant fight on the spot, but will be worked out with assigned physicians.
- At some point in the process, after insurance cards and forms are filled out, someone will be asked to pay a couple hundred dollars (usually) on the account.  You may be told this is for insurance deductibles or non-covered expenses.  They will strongly request a credit card.  Do not do this and do not walk in the door with a card; have a couple hundred dollar bills stashed.  They will be angry, but they cannot refuse.  Once they get a credit card number, some rules could be bypassed legally to add charges...been there, done that, after the credit card billing disaster at a respected hospital in Irvine, CA.  The next time, I handed them the hundred dollar bills, though they kept asking for a credit card with the money in their hand!  Thats when I knew for sure it was not "just a couple hundred dollars" they were after.
- If you carry your medical records on disc, as I do, be sure to purge any credit card numbers from the PDF pages in the file.  Having recent medical records can be useful to forestall useless but profitable tests, in addition to speeding appropriate medical support.

These are a few considerations for peace of mind that you are not putting your family or friends future into hardship or additional worry.  It is bad enough to be in the waiting room for a loved one, but it gets worse when someone takes advantage of you because you have both good insurance and good credit.

Things to talk about with your crew.

Offline SaltRat

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2013, 12:24:03 AM »
Ugly thought and subject, BUT something everyone should prepare for. . . . . the last time I mentioned an ICE (in case of emergency) number on everyone's cell phone I got blank stares.

Be prepared?  Can't hurt.
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

velocity

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 01:14:28 PM »
With each and every motorsports team I have represented, there is always one private conversation I have with the driver. It only takes place once, unless the driver revisits the topic with me.

I ask what the driver wishes to occur should they die, or if they lose consciousness in a serious accident. This only involves the the immediate aftermath, nothing more, when emotions are highest, rawest and most confused.

It is my job to ensure the will of the driver takes point. More often than not those instructions are directed to helping the family and team members find a way forward in the midst of mind-numbing shock.

It is powerfully comforting to say, "Your husband/wife/friend/brother/sister/father/sister asked me to tell you. . . "   

Once I have delivered the message, unless I am asked to remain to do more, I retreat and allow those closest to the driver to do as they will.

Having instructions on a form is great, but you must think about it first and then go find it. If any member of the team wishes to carry this loving burden, it can assuage grief by creating a clear path forward knowing you are doing what the deceased wanted. I think of it as as the last team interaction.

LandSpeed Louise

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2016, 10:55:14 AM »
Milton Paul, posted this on FB and Terry Russell passed it along to me.

Make sure you have a full cup of coffee and don't have to pee -- it'll take a while to read this and you probably won't want to interrupt your reading.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/bill-warner-king-of-land-speed-racing-was-the-fastest-motorcycle-rider-on-earth-6393377
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2016, 11:52:04 AM »
What a great article. I was luck enough to call Bill a friend. I still miss him. Rest in peace my friend!!
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

gkabbt

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2016, 12:24:02 PM »

Guys, thanks for posting this. Really GREAT article about a humble man! Like Fred, I miss him as well.

Gregg

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 08:36:59 PM »
Even tho I've made some plans along with the wife; I really don't give a s--t because I'll be dead. I look at it this way..I want to continue to be a pain in the a-- after I'm gone for as long as I can. Why change things. :-D

With that said, if I don't live long enough to get rid of all my "stuff" myself, my garage will be locked. My wife, son, and daughter knows what all the "old junk" is worth.

Oh, I am prepared, those who don't are making a big mistake especially financially, but that stupid saying stating "He who dies with the most toys wins" is all wrong. He's dead and it's he who LIVES with the most toys wins and I guarantee that's not me...Just Sayin'
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline DRW

« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2016, 10:55:01 PM »
Great Post, I dont want to be a Pain in the A.. for my wife Or Daughters, I wouldnt like Bonneville to leave a bad taste in their mouth.
I wrote a letter, I race with it in my inside pocket of my Alpinestars suit...
Its to make sure they remember that I went while doing what I loved !  Not sitting behind a desk trying to get a job done for the man ...
Also, Maybe im just weird, I have a picture,In plastic of the ones that mean the world to me, So that they will know they were right there in my pocket with me, And they still will be, On my way up,, Or down as it may be ..
DW
Doesnt Mean That Much To me, To Mean That Much To You !

Offline Polyhead

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2016, 12:32:02 AM »
Notes from experience, addressing emergency room visits and serious injury:
- A living will may not be honored at some hospitals or in some states when you are traveling.  The admissions desk has multiple tasks, and one of them is finances.  This is something you cant fight on the spot, but will be worked out with assigned physicians.
- At some point in the process, after insurance cards and forms are filled out, someone will be asked to pay a couple hundred dollars (usually) on the account.  You may be told this is for insurance deductibles or non-covered expenses.  They will strongly request a credit card.  Do not do this and do not walk in the door with a card; have a couple hundred dollar bills stashed.  They will be angry, but they cannot refuse.  Once they get a credit card number, some rules could be bypassed legally to add charges...been there, done that, after the credit card billing disaster at a respected hospital in Irvine, CA.  The next time, I handed them the hundred dollar bills, though they kept asking for a credit card with the money in their hand!  Thats when I knew for sure it was not "just a couple hundred dollars" they were after.
- If you carry your medical records on disc, as I do, be sure to purge any credit card numbers from the PDF pages in the file.  Having recent medical records can be useful to forestall useless but profitable tests, in addition to speeding appropriate medical support.

These are a few considerations for peace of mind that you are not putting your family or friends future into hardship or additional worry.  It is bad enough to be in the waiting room for a loved one, but it gets worse when someone takes advantage of you because you have both good insurance and good credit.

Things to talk about with your crew.

Frank Zappa said it best.  "If they ask for money, tell the no."
Ben 'Polyhead' Smith
  KE7GAL

Offline Freud

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2016, 01:22:26 AM »
With your info on a thumb drive either hang it on the mirror of your traveling vehicle

or around your neck. I have worn a medic alert tag for 35 years. The thumb drive can be there also.

In case of a crash it is available to the medical folks.  Take the thumb drive to an engraver

and have the medic alert symbol engraved and filled in with red paint. Medics know that

instantly. There is a 4 MB thumb drive that is the size of a dime. It can hold all the data that

is needed.

It seems to me that SSS can handle this engraving. I'm going to contact him. I'm also going

to take a few minutes at the Bonneville NW Reunion to bring this up.

Blood type, your daily medications, your medical condition and if You wear contact lenses can

all be included in the information on the drive. Do the same for your wife or passengers if you

are on an automobile trip.

If you need special attention at the time of an accident make sure to put lipstick around your

A Hole. That way they will know You want them to kiss your ass good-bye.

FREUD
Since '63