Author Topic: Suzuki (and other I assume) front axle nut wiring  (Read 2923 times)

Jessechop

Suzuki (and other I assume) front axle nut wiring
« on: July 20, 2013, 11:18:58 AM »
The most common issue I saw in bike tech, and the most asked tech question (to me anyways) was front axle nut wiring on Suzuki's. Namely the buusa, GSXR in all flavors, etc.

The rule book reads 7.B.7 Wheel Retention : All axle retaining nuts must be safety wired or otherwise secured by visually verifiable means.Lock washers, self locking nuts or thread locking compounds do not meet this requirement.

So, what I did on my GSXR was go right through the fork. Many people dont want to drill a hole through a brand new Busa fork, and going through the hole in the bottom of the fork makes a front stand inoperable. So after seeing some other ways to do it I came up with this:

First, the way I had my bike:

So I stripped all of that out. Notice the big hole under the fork, that was enough room to drill 2 hole side by side and miss the axle. I might actually do this later so I goes through the axle, just didnt have the time this morning to drill the axle

Then wire up through

And the other hole

And twist

AND DONE!

There should be enough room to do it axle side too

Offline Chris V

Re: Suzuki (and other I assume) front axle nut wiring
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2013, 05:47:58 PM »
Can the 2 bolt heads be wired together with 1 wire theaded though both bolt heads. I'll be dealing with same thing at BUB and I was going to tie both together there not going anywere that way .  Chris
1972 Yamaha R5  350cc

Jessechop

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2013, 08:06:27 PM »
Not 100% sure what you are asking. Per LTA rules the pinch bolts dont need to be wired, just the nut. Highly reccomended to do the pinch bolts.

Obviously this method is ok for LTA, for BUB you would need to direct that question to the tech personal at BUB
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 09:02:53 PM by Jessechop »

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2013, 08:50:51 PM »
This would be the preferred method of attaching two bolts together.  It is from the FAA Safety Wiring Guide that is included in the 2013 rulebook available online in our rules section.  There is always tension on the bolts.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline Chris08Bus

• The most fun you can have with your pants on!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2013, 11:50:10 AM »
Nice work Jesse, and great photos.  This is also great since it allows use of a front fork stand without disturbing the lockwire.  I think I must have had my bike on and off the stands 10 times during the Maine Event!

Jessechop

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2013, 12:51:40 PM »
Nice work Jesse, and great photos.  This is also great since it allows use of a front fork stand without disturbing the lockwire.  I think I must have had my bike on and off the stands 10 times during the Maine Event!

Not a problem Chris. Just trying to do what I can to help. Ideally I would almost like to have a small check list all riders can go by before going to tech. Log book, helmet up to date, and so on. The smoother it all flows the better of a time most people will have. Generally speaking that would be the goal  :-D