Author Topic: How much rake on a door slammer?  (Read 10481 times)

Offline BobDcuda

How much rake on a door slammer?
« on: July 19, 2013, 08:11:20 PM »
Looking for some input on how much nose-down rake is desirable for a door slammer ('66 Barracuda F/CPRO).  Or - how much is too much?  Some comments I've read here have said no more than 2 degrees, but then I see photos of most of the Avanti's that have raced the Salt.  Most, if not all of them, look like anywhere from 4 degrees and up.

Offline Captthundarr

• In line
Re: How much rake on a door slammer?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2013, 10:51:36 PM »
Too much rake effectively increases frontal area. 
Live,Laugh, Love /  Jack Scratch Racing /ECTA   
Amy Hartman-Driver, Frank Hartman-everthing else.
C/GALT 137.65 Ohio Mile check that 144.12 2013, AA/GALT 159.34 Ohio Mile 2014. B/GALT 180.577 RECORD 6/15

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2013, 10:58:08 PM »
Using a specific number from another body type would likely not be right for your application.
I'm pickin you still have the torsion bar front end so just adjust the hight & see what works for you.
What do you have in your slant? I built a lot of them back in the 70's & just bought another 65 Barracuda.
  Sid.

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2013, 12:05:12 AM »
I would put the nose as low as I could to eliminate as much air going under as possible... if you have tall tires to make the speed you need, then you will have a lot of rake...
While there may be some science to do it right... and a little time in the wind tunnel, that is how it happens for most folks.  Air caught under the car causes drag.
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2013, 12:53:35 AM »
Thanks for your comments guys.  Stainless, that's just what I'm up to now, getting the nose down as low as it can go.  Just hoping when it gets there I'm not looking at 4 or 5 degrees - assuming that's likely too much.  If so, don't think I have enough tire clearance to use lowering blocks.  Should get this all settled by Sunday.  Yes, still got the torsion bars.

Sid, I've got the 170 ci slant bored out to a whopping 174 ci.  Got the usual cam, carb, headers, valves, etc., and some extensive head work.  Combustion chambers were welded in to get 30cc chambers, milling and porting, 13:1 compression.  Engine dyno made 252 hp @ 6,800.  Final bit is to get the nose down and aligned.  I hope to go fast, but do want the wheels to stay on the ground.  :-D

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2013, 02:32:03 AM »
Wheel on the ground is always a plus but it looks like a pretty soft record.
I used to get the best results with "the leaning tower of power" engines by cutting the deck down to bring the chamber to the piston. These days a long rod would be more desirable.
If I get a chance I'll look you up at SW.
  Sid.

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2013, 10:22:06 AM »
Super speedway testing showed 1 to 1 1/2 degrees was best for Mopar "B" body cars.
I can see no reason "E" body cars would be different.

Doug Odom in big ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Tman

« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 12:10:20 PM »
Super speedway testing showed 1 to 1 1/2 degrees was best for Mopar "B" body cars.
I can see no reason "E" body cars would be different.

Doug Odom in big ditch

Doug beat me to it. Look at Blowfish and the other similar cars. Yours is just a mini version of that bodystyle!

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2013, 12:27:53 PM »
Thanks again for the tips.  Sid, do stop by if you can.

Offline kiwi belly tank

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2013, 04:11:43 PM »
E body is a totally different animal, bigger, wider & not a fastback but I don't see you getting into too much trouble with what you have. If you have a sway bar for it, put it on. You have a big plus with the torsion bar front end, you could find some speed there.
Looks like a lot of fun from here. :cheers:
  Sid.

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2013, 04:48:28 PM »
A "E" body Mopar is a "B" body front clip with an "A" body rear clip.
At one time I had the full size blue prints for both because that was what the Chrysler Kit Car was.

Doug Odom in Big Ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

gkabbt

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2013, 05:22:06 PM »
This is kind of on topic with Bob's original post but what about a Mini Trucks like the Rampages that SteveM and I are working on.
Should there be any rake on them? My thought would be that there should be, especially at higher speeds, to add downforce in the rear.
Sway bars be recommended?

Gregg
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:05:44 PM by gkabbt »

Offline FoundSoul

• MegaSquirt Your Mind!
    • DIYAutoTune.com
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2013, 12:56:41 PM »
So how high off the ground (at the lowest point, like the air dam) do you set your front ride height to?  My car is a Gas Coupe FYI...
Jerry a.k.a. 'FoundSoul'
http://www.DIYAutoTune.com and http://AMPEFI.com
13 Records total held at the ECTA Ohio Mile (as of 9/2015)
Fastest so far-- AA/BGC Record @ 217.3913mph September 2015  -- MS3Pro Engine Management and a little 3.0 liter

Congrats to our customers:
Lee Sicilio - 1969 Daytona Charger #97 - Bonneville A/BGALT Record Holder - 273.514mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control
Gary Hart - 1953 Studebaker #787 - Bonneville AA/BGALT Record Holder - 240.984mph - MegaSquirt-1 EFI and Ignition Control
Frank Kinney - Black Opel Racing #6666 - Bonneville E/GMS Recond Holder - 208.974mph - MegaSquirt-3 EFI and Ignition Control

Offline BobDcuda

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2013, 08:00:25 PM »
FS, not sure if your question is for me or Gregg. I'm in Production class, so no air dam allowed. I'm lowered down 'til I've got only about 1" clearance for my bellhousing.  My exhaust also hangs down too low, however I don't figure I have enough time to correct that before loading the trailer for Speed Week.

Gregg, you might try your question over on your Build Diary; may be more folks perusing there than here.

Offline Crackerman

« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2013, 10:16:46 PM »
From my rough understanding of aerodynamics, With the large sloping rear deck on the cuda, while being very slick, does it not have the inherent desire to be airborne? More rake= more frontal down force= more rear lift and the chance of the butt end becoming the front end.

Keeping air out from under the car is great, and if the bottom is slick enough, may even counter some of the lift generated by the rear window via a crude rear diffuser shape of rake and floorpan.

So that being said, i would guesstimate less than 3* of rake and get the butt down too.