Author Topic: Racing…..Is it really worth it?  (Read 13229 times)

gkabbt

Racing…..Is it really worth it?
« on: July 17, 2013, 01:57:12 PM »

I cannot explain it but the death of Bill Warner has hit me really hard, like when John Beckett died but this seems much worse.
The suddenness pulls the rug out from under you and really makes you think.

Since I have been involved (spectating) in LSR (2003 /2004), there have been several incidents resulting in deaths at Bonneville, Maxton,
Texas, Wilmington and now Loring. Unfortunately, I was witness to several of these at both at Bonneville and Maxton.

I fully understand that racers (or in my case, wannabe racer) in all forms of Motorsports, walk a razors edge when it comes to life and death.
With death, left behind are loved ones (wife, children, mother, father, brother, sister, friends) that try to cope and pick up the pieces.

As for racers, we spend a lot of time in the garage, spend $$$$$ and time on the road for this racing fun.
Are we being selfish? Is it being self-centered? Is it ego?

But the question that has been eating at me is:  Racing.....Is it really worth it?   

Thanks,
Gregg Adams

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Racing…..Is it really worth it?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2013, 02:18:42 PM »
As a good friend of Bills, I am certain he would say yes. Bill died doing what he loved. He would not want anyone to quit racing because of his crash. I have done some serious contemplation about my racing this week. What I decided is that I love it. That being said I will be much more diligent in my preparation and really aware of how my bike is handling. Three years ago when I crashed I ignored a handling problem and paid the price. Life is a gamble and racing is the ultimate gamble. :cheers:
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline robfrey

• carbinitelsr
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2013, 02:34:54 PM »
All right, you asked.
To answer your question. No. It is not worth it for many people especially when measured by conventional standards.
That being said-
1st. It's just what we do. We are racers.
I believe that the talents and passions that we have are God given so we do these thing. The thrill that we get when our machines do what they are designed and built to do by us gives us huge satisfaction. I believe it makes God even happier when we do what we have been designed to do to the best of the abilities and talents that He gave us.
The glory of victory seldom and should never go to the machines that we race but to the creators of these machines. That is why we should humble ourselves and give glory to our creator in such victories and even failures as we did not choose our talents and skill sets. They are gifts from above.
All that being said, if you do not have a relationship with The Lord, and are not "good to go" you might want to rethink Land Speed Racing as a hobby choice. Maybe take up basket weaving or something safer. Heck, if I was not "good to go" I might think about never leaving the house as anything could happen to you out there.
496 BGS
carbinitelsr.com
carbiniteracing.com
carbinite.com

Jessechop

« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2013, 02:58:32 PM »
When Bill went down Sunday I was standing on the line right behind him. I was #3 in the hot box. When I saw it happen I too had the preverbial carpet pulled out from underneath me. Almost instantly I rode my bike back to the trailer, loaded up my stuff and went home. That was it, I was done. I didn't know of Bills passing at that time, officially. In my heart I knew, even though the words had not been said. I prayed he was going to be ok, but again my heart knew better.

As Sunday turned to Monday and into Tuesday I found myself wanting to go racing more. I returned to the runway, just to see. I don't know why I went back, closure I guess. Either way, it helped. Bill wouldn't want any of us to stop racing. Something went wrong on his run, and ultimately it cost him his life.

We take risks every day. When I got up this morning and turned the light on, it could of shocked me to death. When I left for work I could of been hit by a trailer truck, and the list goes on and on. Will I return? I cant say for sure but I can tell you this I just figured out how much it is going to cost me to run in Sept and I have already started pinching the pennies to do so.

Keith Turk said it best (or copied it, either way he posted it) " live without risk has no value"

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2013, 03:06:46 PM »
Greg;

The best answer I can think of was voiced by Steve McQueen in the movie "Le Mans".

Is getting to the top of Everest worth it? Is travelling to the moon and back in a Spam can worth it? To those who do it, yes it is worth it.

This is life-- nobody gets out alive. We are all going to die... shouldn't it be for something worthwhile? Everyone's definition of "worthwhile" is not the same, though. We all have to decide for ourselves if "it is worth it".

Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2013, 03:58:44 PM »
I once read a poem that explained it very well. I can not remember who wrote it or all the lines
It started something like;

He never took a dare, He never took a chance.
He never stole a kiss or asked a fair maid to dance.

I wish I could remember the middle part.

The end was something like:

Saint Peter told him he could not be dead, because he never lived.

'If anyone has ever seen this poem or knows where I can find it please tell me.

Doug Odom in Big Ditch
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2013, 04:13:10 PM »
Doug, that is a GREAT answer!

It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes, by Theodore Roosevelt:

Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure... than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in a gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat.

Yes Gregg, it's worth it!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline tortoise

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2013, 04:46:24 PM »
People are not going to stop racing. A real question is whether becoming the second guy to go 300 sitting on a motorcycle is really worth it.

Offline 7800ebs

• http://quickturnparts.com/index.html
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2013, 04:55:15 PM »
  "Far Better is it to Dare Mighty Things, to win glorious triumphs even though
checkered by failure, than to Rank with those Poor Spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer
much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat."

teddy r

Offline Freud

« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2013, 05:33:18 PM »
THANKS to both Doug Odom and 7800ebs.

Doug for presenting that quote and 7800 for identifying the author.

If you chance doing it, you will probably survive.

Walking the Bott Dots, carrying a reasonable load, on I-5 freeway

(MP 188) turned out to be doable.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline jeffb

« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2013, 05:35:34 PM »
It may not be.  It not only is the answer going to change person to person, it is also going to change throughout your life. 

I was racing at the Wilmington event last year when there was a fatal accident.  I was there just to have fun and make some slow 140-150 mph runs on a slow bike in preparation to go to Bonneville targeting 200.  I also brought my wife, dad and 6 & 3 year old daughters.   My wife hates that I do this, but somehow seems to tolerate me.  You can imagine her thoughts on continuing to race last year.

After being successful at Bonneville last year and nearly achieving my goal of a specific record (failed return run on a 207 down), I made the tough call to take this year off and focus on family.  Kid #3 is due this Saturday.  There were many factors that played into this, but for me for this year, the answer was, Racing wasn't worth it. 

I am 100% sure that I will make runs on the salt and concrete again someday.  However, the accidents, whether fatal or not, remind me that each time I throw a leg over the bike, I am putting it all at risk.  That risk needs to be controlled and minimized in every way possible.  One of those ways is to make fewer runs and that is what I have chosen to do this year.

I love the speed and agree with all of the comments that say "live life to the fullest".  That's why I will be back.  But I will do it when the other factors in life allow it.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2013, 06:00:07 PM »
Gregg, at first I found your question rather annoying, then I realized that really it's everyone's individual decision. I've lost a few friends, acquaintances and heros over the years. Each time it hits you, sometimes harder than others.

You may be correct when you mention selfish, self centered and ego. We used to discuss this on our 12 to 16 hour trips to the west coast with the sprint car operation. We concluded that ego was required to race successfully both in the driver and the crew. That doesn't mean being obnoxious and superior but it does mean being truly confident in what you do and knowing that you do it well.

If you're truly a racer I think you'll make sure that if something happens your family will be able to move on financially. You'll never be able to make those who don't understand your passion feel good about what you're doing. If you don't feel good about entering any kind of speed event because of how others feel then probably you shouldn't be participating. It's an individual decision and I hope you chose to continue but you have to feel good about it.

Pete

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:15 PM »
Bill's death hit me too, even though the closest I ever got to the man was buying one of his 311 tees, I admired his way of life.

On the rare occasion I buy a local newspaper, there usually is a familiar name in the deaths section, some younger, some older than me.
Life is short, sometimes shorted that we expect it to be.
My goal in life was to have a good time, marry, have kids, ride bikes, I have achieved these goals.

Somewhere along the way LSR entered my life, as a crew member 1st, then as the bug bit, a competitor.

I do this , not for anyone other than myself, my choice of bike was originally based on cost, then money was forgotten, it was spent as fast as it was saved in the attempt to do what others have failed to do, but not using a fast bike as a base, but a slow one.

Goals are fine, but its the journey that gives me determination not to get my name into the deaths notices, but it is inevitable I know.

I'll do it the hard way thanks .

RIP Bill  :cheers:
Tiny
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

velocity

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2013, 09:25:43 PM »
If you hang out in this sport long enough, someone you know, or know of, will be involved in an accident. The overwhelming majority end with busted parts and mangled metal, but little or no "damage" to the biological component thanks to the stringent safety rules imposed by all the sanctioning organizations. When it all goes incredibly wrong someone dies.

As you pause to contemplate your involvement in this sport, consider this: It is the 100th year of salt racing where the fastest records have been inked with tens of thousands of runs down the saline speedway completed without a problem. In all that time less than a dozen people have died, but thousands have realized dreams of a lifetime. Find me another sport with a similar level of risk that has that kind of stat.

I addressed this exact subject head-on in my Fuel For Thought column that appears monthly in the Goodguys Gazette when John Beckett died in 2005. Perhaps there is a fragment of thought that may resonate with all of you now mentally wrestling with the resolve to continue or quit.

Cut and paste this link into your browser:

http://www.landspeedproductions.biz/wp-content/uploads/FFT_Dec05.pdf

LandSpeed Louise

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2013, 09:36:37 PM »
Well said Louise!