Author Topic: BILL WARNER  (Read 42768 times)

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
Re: BILL WARNER
« Reply #45 on: July 15, 2013, 07:15:52 PM »
I don't 'spose you need the internet to watch over us now Bill   :?
 I wore your 311 MPH Tee with pride at work yesterday, sorry 'bout the permanent oil stains though,

Godspeed
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #46 on: July 15, 2013, 07:58:01 PM »
Billy Shoemaker sent these along.  Enjoy the memories. . . :-)

And finally - for now, at least - this one is just right. . .

Feel free, folks, to post photos and thoughts about Bill Warner.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Kansas Bad Man

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered motorcycle streamliner
« Reply #47 on: July 15, 2013, 08:24:28 PM »
 :-(

Sad to hear that Bill Warner lost his life this weekend doing what he loved.  I understand the bike went down at 280 mph while trying to break his open wheel record of 311.945 mph.  A true racer.  May he rest in peace.
                                         Max

Offline Robby P

• New folks
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2013, 10:42:54 PM »
My deepest condolences to Bill's family. I can't begin to imagine what a loss this is to them, but I would like them to know that while he was up here the last few yrs. he was quite an inspiration to mine. My son Reis is handicapped, and when he saw Bill's "funny looking bike" for the first time he had to drag me over to see it. Bill would stop whatever he was doing when Reis went by and give him a big smile, a wave, or a thumbs up. I spoke to Bill a few times but I knew he was a busy guy and was always afraid that I might be bothering him. I knew he understood this, we would look at each other, smile and nod to each other, and he knew I appreciated the time he spent with Reis.

When Bill made his 311 run  he was naturally crowded with well wishers, and requests for photo's etc. I told Reis not to get in the way and kind of hang back. I turned around for a second and when I looked back Bill had his arm around Reis's shoulder and was sharing his victory with him.  The last day of that weekend he took a good half hour and spoke to Reis, signed his T shirt and made him about the coolest kid in the world.

I want you to know that while Bill was all these miles from home he was not leaving family behind but extending his family by his actions. He definitley had a great impact on mine. I am forever in your debt for sharing this great guy with the rest of us!
We are so sorry for your loss.

Robby, Barb, Reis Perkins

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #49 on: July 15, 2013, 11:11:41 PM »
To me, personally, Bill Warner is a rare soul that makes each of us wish we were a better person.

An announcement has been posted on the website.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline landspeedrich

• New folks
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2013, 12:42:49 AM »
     Although I never had the fortune of having met Bill,I certainly admire his success in the landspeed world and for the humble person he appeared to have been.My condolenses to his family and friends. RIP Bill
                                                                                                                 Rich Shiedlak

Offline TerryW

• Speed Safe!!!!!!
    • Loring Air Force Base Landspeed Racing
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2013, 07:53:08 AM »
Met Bill two years ago, just after he was inducted into the 300 Club at Loring. Last year, at Carl Gunther's bidding, Bill signed my Bill Warner t-shirt. This year, my first to actually participate in the 135, when chatting with Bill Friday morning, he sincerely wished us good luck (my wife Heather was running as well). Bill was a very down to earth, humble person. Always had a smile and words of encouragement. He will be missed by all. I imagine he is now comparing notes with Burt Munro, planning their next runs... RIP!!!!

Offline 72tx340

• Hooked on speed
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2013, 10:02:24 AM »
  As a spectator Bill always had time to show me his bike and answer my many probably stupid questions. I hadnt had time to talk with him yet this year but had planed to ask what was new on his bike etc. What amazed me was how he would stay and answer my questions until I was done not walk away when he was done. That memory will always stay with me how humble he truly was and how he always had time for fans.

Offline tricktom1

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2013, 12:50:38 PM »
If anyone would like to donate to Bill Warner’s family to help out in this tragic time, please send payment through paypal and select “Gift” to: nickelcityracing@persona.ca     
Thank you all in advance,
Tom Gates
TexasMile 261.5 MPH
http://www.houstonmile.com/

Offline TerryW

• Speed Safe!!!!!!
    • Loring Air Force Base Landspeed Racing
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2013, 02:05:38 PM »
Met Bill two years ago, just after he was inducted into the 300 Club at Loring. Last year, at Carl Gunter's bidding, Bill signed my Bill Warner t-shirt. This year, my first to actually participate in the 135, when chatting with Bill Friday morning, he sincerely wished us good luck (my wife Heather was running as well). Bill was a very down to earth, humble person. Always had a smile and words of encouragement. He will be missed by all. I imagine he is now comparing notes with Burt Munro, planning their next runs... RIP!!!!

Offline SEJ

• New folks
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2013, 05:13:52 PM »
With all due respect to you racefanwfo. The 296 that Bill ran on his previous run is the fastest that anyone has ever been in the standing mile. No one else is close.
222.662 MPH in the mile
201.522 MPH in the 1/2 mile
01' Turbo GSX-R 1000 (988cc's)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2013, 05:31:59 PM »
Bill had a VMax that he raced before the Busa. He had a record in1650 m/g 195.2 at Bonneville. I think he ran a 201 at Maxton, with the VMax. Come on 200mph with a Vmax. For the last three or four years Bill had been at Bonneville helping friends with their bikes. He had a turbo busa planned for Bonneville. It got put on the back burner when he took on promoting the Houston mile.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2013, 01:49:26 AM »
Yup, M-AG 1650 196.053, was one of the records I was going to run Larry's bike on, now am conflicted------ :?
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline racefanwfo

• jenks worlds fastest pitbull
« Reply #58 on: July 17, 2013, 03:08:23 AM »
With all due respect to you racefanwfo. The 296 that Bill ran on his previous run is the fastest that anyone has ever been in the standing mile. No one else is close.

SEJ i think that you have misunderstood the point i was trying to make. all of the news services are saying that the speeds that bill ran ie the 311 run and the runs after that are world land speed records from what i understand to set a world land speed record you need to make 2 runs one in each direction. all i was trying to say was that the media does not know what they are talking about. i was not trying to down play anything that bill had done. you are right no one else is even close and i think it will be a long time before someone gets close to the speeds that bill layed down.
The speed that you wish to achieve is only limited by the depth of your wallet.

Offline tricktom1

« Reply #59 on: July 17, 2013, 06:24:58 AM »

SEJ i think that you have misunderstood the point i was trying to make. all of the news services are saying that the speeds that bill ran ie the 311 run and the runs after that are world land speed records from what i understand to set a world land speed record you need to make 2 runs one in each direction. all i was trying to say was that the media does not know what they are talking about. i was not trying to down play anything that bill had done. you are right no one else is even close and i think it will be a long time before someone gets close to the speeds that bill layed down.
not in mile racing
TexasMile 261.5 MPH
http://www.houstonmile.com/