Author Topic: BILL WARNER  (Read 42651 times)

Offline 72tx340

• Hooked on speed
BILL WARNER
« on: July 14, 2013, 02:45:04 PM »
Just got the news on his passing. Hopes and prayers go out to Bill and his family.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 02:47:43 PM by 72tx340 »

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: BILL WARNER
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2013, 04:09:36 PM »
RIP Bill Warner, you will be missed. One of our LSR hero's. You were the best. :-(
« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 04:44:30 PM by Glen »
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Dan Stokes

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2013, 04:21:49 PM »
I knew Bill from Maxton where I worked a number of positions around the track as a volunteer.  Bill was unfailingly kind and respectful to the volunteers and his fellow racers and never showed a bit of "attitude".  I'm proud to have known him and the Land Speed community has lost a real gentleman.

I don't know much about his family situation but I'm sure many loved and respected him.  My best to all who loved him.

Dan
Wilmington, NC - by the sea

ECTA idiot, Bonneville volunteer

Jessechop

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2013, 04:27:17 PM »
I cant get his run out of my head, I must of replayed it in my head 1000 times now. Thoughts and prayers to all involved, a very, very sad day

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2013, 05:01:56 PM »
Bill W. thanks for the memories and the inspiration! Lord please be with family and friends and all who's hearts grieve with our loss.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2013, 05:04:34 PM »
sad. news,vale Bill.
Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 05:15:01 PM »
Godspeed Bill.
A gentleman racer and inspiration to many.
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2013, 05:15:45 PM »
A terrible loos to our LSR Community.

My thoughts and prayers to his family and friends.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline hotrod

• Black Horse photo
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2013, 05:19:46 PM »
Sad to hear about this, early reports reported he was conscious when they transported him.

My condolences to his friends and family!

Offline Hellcat Customs

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2013, 05:20:11 PM »
I didn't know Bill...I've read about him in my own searching as I've started my own land speed quests... I'm sorry to hear he's joined the greats in history. This is always sad to hear, but, he got to retire doing something he was passionate about. While it's tragic and sad he got to live and retire with his passion, something a great many never get to do.

Prayers to his family. Hope his next journey finds him well... May he watch over the rest of us as we strive to live land speed as he did

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2013, 05:39:51 PM »
Truly a sad sad day. I was lucky to be able to call Bill my friend. I will miss him terribly. He always had a kind word and words of encouragement. Bill was a true gentleman. A legend of our sport.

RIP MY FRIEND.
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

velocity

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2013, 05:44:08 PM »
Bangor Daily News
by Mario Maoretto, staff writer
Posted July 14, 2013, at 3:12 p.m.  Last modified July 14, 2013, at 4:08 p.m.

CARIBOU, Maine — A Florida man who set the world record for fastest speed on a conventional motorcycle died Sunday from injuries suffered when he lost control of his motorcycle and reportedly slid 1,000 feet during a speed trial at the former Loring Air Force Base.
William “Bill” Warner, 44, a speed racer and tropical fish grower from Wimauma, Fla., was attempting to hit 300 mph within one mile just before 10 a.m. Sunday during The Maine Event, an annual speed trial race sanctioned by the Loring Timing Association.
Warner made it about 4,000 feet before suddenly losing control of his modified turbocharged Suzuki Hayabusa. He was taken immediately to Cary Medical Center in Caribou, according to race officials. After the crash, race officials cancelled the remainder of Sunday’s races
Bill Flagg, a spokesman for the hospital, confirmed Sunday afternoon that Warner had died from his injuries at 11:15 a.m. The announcement was delayed until Warner’s family could be notified, Flagg said.
Limestone Volunteer Fire Department and Crown Ambulance were on-scene in case of accidents during the time trials. According to a spokesman for the fire department, an investigation into what caused the accident will be conducted by the Limestone Police Department.
Race officials interviewed immediately after the accident said Warner was “awake and talking” when he was brought to the Caribou hospital. Those officials — event director Mark Sotomayor and race director Tim Kelly — were unreachable for additional comment later in the day.
Though there are few known details, one witness who watched the race from the starting line said he could tell that things had gone wrong when he saw that Warner had veered off the track, to the right.
The Loring Timing Association instructs racers to veer off the track to the left if there is a vehicle problem and to veer to the right if they are injured or if their vehicle is on fire.
“He got maybe 4,000 feet or so, and where I was standing at the starting line, you could see a big dust cloud and then it got silent,” said Cole Theriault, a spectator from Connor Township. “The bike, from what I heard, was demolished, just in pieces. After a minute, all you could hear was the sirens.”
Warner set a world record at the time trial in 2011, when he became the first conventional motorcyclist in history to top 300 mph, according to the Loring Timing Association. On a 1.5-mile course, he maxed out at 311.945 mph. On Saturday, he broke the 1-mile record at Loring when he hit 296 mph.
In 2011, Warner spoke about the his record-breaking run.
“The big part of it, after the speed happens, is trying to stop the bike,” he said. “Here at Loring Air Force Base, there is a mile shutdown to slow the vehicles down and I used every bit of it. The bike was bouncing, hopping, skipping and sliding. Needless to say, I got it stopped safely. It was a little scary.”
According to the Loring Timing Association’s website, the track at Loring is the longest land speed record track in the world, with a total length of 2 ⅝ miles, including a long stretch for cool down.

++++++++++

I am mortified once again that my colleagues in the mainstream are guilty of shabby journalism. The media reports have, in only a few hours said Bill crashed first at 260, but now its up to 285MPH -- no verification, no attribution just a viral number that keeps on bloating. Sigh. I'll wait for the official report from Sotomayor, Kelly and the Limestone Police Department.

Perhaps you'll notice there are not hundreds of news briefs reporting that Donna Timney is recovering nicely at her home in Delaware after going down at 218MPH during he recent ECTA event in Ohio. As husband Joe reminded me, "We dress form the crash, not for the ride."  She'll be back. Bet me. If for no other reason than to admonish Keith Turk for shutting down the event because of her tumble.
--LandSpeed Louise

Offline Bobby c

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2013, 06:13:32 PM »
History will always remember the first man to throw his leg over a motorcycle and go over 300 MPH. LSR has lost a true legend today. My prayers go out to his family and friends. Godspeed Bill

Offline generatorshovel

• http://www.dlra.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2013, 07:02:15 PM »
RIP Bill     :-o
Tiny (in OZ)
I would prefer to make horsepower, rather than buy, or hya it, regardless of the difficulties involved , as it would then be MINE

Offline Jon

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2013, 07:20:54 PM »
RIP Bill

Thoughts are with his family and friends.
Underhouse Engineering
Luck = Opportunity + Preparation^3