Author Topic: headers  (Read 2889 times)

terry russell

headers
« on: June 15, 2006, 08:20:12 AM »
While trying to make my shorty headers work on a new set of heads & with no room. I got to thinking about routing them out in front of the front tires . What would be the pros & cons to this? I have a s10 with a small block. Thanks much Terry

Offline jimmy six

headers
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 10:51:45 AM »
Many Chev Monza's (F bodies I think) do it this way to keep the car low. Some Camero/Firebirds also..... Good luck
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline John Burk

headers
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 11:16:26 AM »
Having the exhaust exit in front is like driving through hotter air which lowers the drag .

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
I agree with john!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 02:07:05 PM »
If you think about it the gases coming out of the collector are hot and high velocity therefore they will be at low pressure so if you ran the collector out infront of the front wheels you should be creating a low pressure area that could increase front down force if you happen to have any type of air dam and also put the front tire in a lower pressure area which could certainly help reduce drag. Sounds like a good idea.
Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline desotoman

headers
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 02:29:56 PM »
Terry, Frank Sloan has done what you are talking about on his Cosworth Vega we run at El Mirage. So far no problems at all. Everything seems to be working fine. Hope this helps.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

terry russell

headers
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 07:49:28 PM »
Thanks much. Looks like my winter to-do list just got longer.
 Terry