Author Topic: C/Production Build.....  (Read 22555 times)

Offline Wade_Owens

Re: C/Production Build.....
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2013, 12:16:20 PM »

Also, after waiting several days on a master cylinder "mounting kit", there was very little I could use. I made the larger, natural color, aluminum plates to sandwich the firewall and use a couple more attaching bolts. I dont know if it will really be better, but, I like it more.

Wade

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2013, 10:27:54 PM »
I need your help, please. Does anyone have experience shortening the torque arm? I have a real nice, sturdy place to fab a bracket off of. It would make the arm 24" from axle centerline and the torque about 18" in overall length. Any thoughts on this?

Any help appreciated.....

Thanks, Wade

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2013, 08:04:14 AM »
Wade, I don't know how I missed this build!

Nice job! :cheers:
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2013, 10:03:04 AM »
I am not an engineer!!!

but my thoughts---if you have very little suspension travel, and or movement---I suspect one can do nearly--- anything---

but to be safe I would ask around and see if any of your drag race buddies have any suspension software and run what you have in mind through it and see how mounting points & projected travel will change the ANGLES and hence the behavior.  YMMV

Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2013, 02:19:23 PM »
Wade, I don't know how I missed this build!

Nice job! :cheers:

Thanks a bunch, Buddy. Your work ethic is unquestioned. I've read all of your build, as you know, and cant wait to see the quest surpassed!!

Wade

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2013, 02:21:08 PM »
I am not an engineer!!!

but my thoughts---if you have very little suspension travel, and or movement---I suspect one can do nearly--- anything---

but to be safe I would ask around and see if any of your drag race buddies have any suspension software and run what you have in mind through it and see how mounting points & projected travel will change the ANGLES and hence the behavior.  YMMV

Sparky, I'm even farther from an engineer. The instant center should remain the same, but, is there such a thing as "point of rise"?

Wade

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2013, 01:30:54 PM »

Finished the outside steering shaft mount. Once we settle on the steering wheel height we'll put a fire boot over this.

Final fit on the dash. Have to fab a small bracket to secure and hold the inside column area up. Need to order a different shifter and some sound deadener.

Finally have the engine basically finished. The intake gaskets are trimmed and ready, just have to clean the intake and install. It wont be much of a powerhouse, just a real good test engine!

Offline Jorge

• "Foot on the gas till you see god then stop"
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2013, 02:54:17 AM »
Nice project you have going on....dig the cage the car has..good job.....keep at it man....where are you located..??
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to slide in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "Holy $hit, what a ride!"

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2013, 01:37:41 PM »
Wade:

Nice build. Looks like you put some thought into the design. If I may, two areas I would suggest you address. I don't know what the floor plates back up to on the rear tunnel but that 14 gage sheet metal floor is like a beer can when it come sheer force. If you can use a piece of .250 plate to tie the tunnel beck to the frame connectors and then bend a U shape plate to fit in the tunnel. That will give the inside cage plates something to get support from. The second benefit is the .250 U plate in the tunnel can act as the top part of your rear drive shaft loop.

People on this forum are probably sick of me saying this but in 2011 I had driveshaft break and instantly is cut through the factory floor. The shaft was in the car with me and chopped the sheet metal up good. Had my seat been back another 1" the shaft would have been chopping on my seat and hip.

Lastly, if you are going to take it to the salt, when your done welding, look into some Por15 http://www.por15.com/POR-15-Rust-Preventive-Paint_c_11.html Its about $100 to paint the underside and the interior floor but it will help that unibody last. Your car's first life as an SCCA mule is nothing compared to the beating it will take from the salt.

Keep up the good work.

BR

ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2013, 02:20:40 PM »
Thanks for the tip BR. I had a slight delay in the build. I fell off of a ladder and wiped out my right knee and lower back in July. They just fixed the knee about 2 weeks ago and still waiting on the back repairs. I have a game plan together and will get going again as soon physically possible. Its taken way longer than I thought on this healing process. But, I'm just glad to have survived it. The whack I took to my head could have ended all of my goals forever.

Also, when I get more "caught up". I'll start a thread on our E/GCC Studebaker build.

And again, thanks everyone for the help and encouragement.

Wade

Offline wheelrdealer

• D/CBGALT
    • WHEELRDEALER RACING
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2013, 02:55:33 PM »
Wow, take care. We are all probably safer in our race cars than we are in our other endeavors.

Great build. I wish I had seen your steering column idea before I mounted mine.

Hope you feel better soon.

BR
ECTA    Maxton D/CGALT  Record Holder 167.522
ECTA    Maxton D/CBGALT Record Holder 166.715

WWW.WHEELRDEALER2100.COM

Offline unobtainium

« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2013, 05:37:26 PM »
Looking good Love the seat!

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2013, 06:22:01 PM »

wade, give us a hint - where are you?  You haven't filled in the "location" blank in your profile.  If you don't do it -- I will, and then you'd be living in someplace like Tonsillectomy, Texas.  You wanna do it - or me?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Wade_Owens

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 11:12:27 AM »

wade, give us a hint - where are you?  You haven't filled in the "location" blank in your profile.  If you don't do it -- I will, and then you'd be living in someplace like Tonsillectomy, Texas.  You wanna do it - or me?

Sorry Slim, I have enough trouble spelling Cape Girardeau, Missouri, the city I live in! I am located dead between St Louis and Memphis, right off of Interstate 55. Also, the world famous Lamberts Cafe, the place that throws the dinner rolls at you, is located about 25 miles south of me. If you've ever ate there, its a place you never forget!

Offline DND

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 03:33:25 PM »
Hi Wade

That sounds like ' Heaven on Earth ' with a little Dixieland jazz and BBQ cant be all Bad

G Don